Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JackZ4

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by JackZ4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice....

I have a 2006 BMW Z4 Coupe Si, on Saturday I had the rear tyres replaced and aligned, but noticed something wasn't right on Sunday, car didn't seem very stable through the steering wheel and on country lanes when transferring weight from corner to corner, the car was swaying which didn't feel particular safe :(

I have decided to park the car up and am using my bike for work purposes, but wanted to know what the potential cause or causes could be?

I am no mechanic, far from it, but I have been reading a few posts and its edging towards rear shock absorbers as the most sensible answer, in this case, do you simply replace the rear shocks, or are other parts require replacing at the same time? It all seems like a minefield

Any advice is appreciated,
Jack
Current
2006 BMW Z4 Coupe - Montego - 19" RIVA CSL's

Previous
2009 Citroen C1 - Red
2018 Honda MSX 125 - Pearl White

ImageImage

Capa

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by Capa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Snapped rear spring?
E86 | Stratus Grey

skelters

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Get back to get the wheel balance checked along with the tyres.

Then get the alignment checked again.

Take one of the alignment monkey's out for a terrifying drive in it to show them what's happening.

Get the springs and shockers checked too but would be surprised if they hadn't already checked them out when the car was in.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

JackZ4

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by JackZ4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:49 pm

skelters wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm Get back to get the wheel balance checked along with the tyres.

Then get the alignment checked again.

Take one of the alignment monkey's out for a terrifying drive in it to show them what's happening.

Get the springs and shockers checked too but would be surprised if they hadn't already checked them out when the car was in.
Thanks Skelters, hopefully it is something simple like the alignment, be annoying if the chap hasn't done it correctly considering you pay for it all to be done to a specific standard :headbang:, but then again, it was a new chap working on my car who I didn't recognise and looking back at the paperwork I never received the alignment sheet which states whether it was in/out...
Current

Previous
2009 Citroen C1 - Red

ImageImage

JackZ4

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by JackZ4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Capa wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:18 pm Snapped rear spring?
I'm going to check the zed tonight after football and see if there is anything obvious, like you said, snapped spring, etc, otherwise I will go back to the garage for the alignment to be rechecked which Skelter mentioned :thumbsup:
Current

Previous
2009 Citroen C1 - Red

ImageImage

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm

If they're brand new tyres, it could simply be the release agent...or it could be loose wheel bolts :?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Wood Butcher

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by Wood Butcher » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 pm

I assume that before you had the tyres replaced the handling was fine, or at least better?

skelters

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm If they're brand new tyres, it could simply be the release agent...or it could be loose wheel bolts :?
Good call on the wheel bolts.

If it's a staggered set up make sure they've not mixed up the front and rear wheels and tyres.

I've had Goodyears, Falken, Goodyear and Michelin tyres on two different Z4's and never had tramlining when the new tyres have been fitted.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

JackZ4

BMW Z4 Coupe | Advice

Post by JackZ4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 am

Sorry for the late update been using the bike over the past month.

Returned to the tyre place and the alignment was re-checked, shown the screen so this is definitely ruled out....

Car went in for MOT on Tuesday and required new nearside and offside anti-roll bar links as the covers had failed, so not sure if this was a contributing factor to the handling issue but they have been replaced. The rear passenger shock absorber was worn, so both rear shock absorbers have been replaced and the handling issue has now been fixed :D

Hope this helps,
Jack
Current

Previous
2009 Citroen C1 - Red

ImageImage