Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The BMW Maintenance Schedule

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I have read a lot of different comments here on the board over the last two years about maintenance on your Z4. Some by some very knowledgeable persons, some by persons who should know better, and by some who have to ask where the oil filter is located, then give out expert advise.

So now it is my turn... This is not to bash anyone. Just to lay out my thought on the subject..

As a part time 'performance track driver', 'mechanic', 'tinkerer' and full time 'Electrical/Computer Engineer', I would like to think I have a little common sense. I would also like to think that others do too, but as an old friend who is a Nuclear Engineer always says: "Common Sense is not so Common"

My Automobile Axioms
Axiom One: Anything made my MAN will BREAK...
Axiom Two: There is No Maximum Maintenance, only minimum maintenance.
Axiom Three: The stupid will be punished. Eventually... See Axiom Two above
Axiom Four: BMW stands for "Bring Money With You". If you don't like the 'cost of ownership" (maintenance) on a BMW, get a new car.... A Honda or Toyota....

And I do own a Honda....

Some say that "BMW maintenance schedule is good enough for me, 15,000 miles between oil changes and I only drive 5000 miles a year, and I plan on keeping the car forever...".

That's an oil change every three years.... If you really believe that read on....

Even BMW recommends an engine oil and filter change at least once a year in cases of low-mileage vehicles that fail to rack up the mileage necessary to trigger BMW's ridiculously-long computer monitored oil change intervals.

BMW's concern with the time component of engine oil is based upon the level of condensation (water/acids/fuel) present in the oil. That condensation level is increased by U.S. commuter driving, cold climates and BMW's crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase ventilation systems is designed to meet U.S. emissions requirements, but is fundamentally flawed in a number ways, one of which in inordinate susceptibility to destructive condensation in very cold climates. This condensation is not an issue with older BMW engines, eg. pre-OBD-II (pre-1996).

My experience with oil analysis's, and research into older BMW (and other manufactures) indicates that the time factor of one or two years doesn't really effect low-mileage engine oil per-se, except the concerns with condensation in the oil, in modern BMW's.

Why BMW has done away with with maintenance? It is a matter of cost, obviously, and for the marketing benefits of its 'Free Maintenance' program during the first 50,000 miles. Additionally, its also for environmental reasons. Like all manufactures, BMW is under great pressure from environmental groups and governments to reduce the mount of waist from cars. Liquid and gaseous...

This was the reasoning behind BMW's harebrained refusal to change the so-called 'lifetime fill' lubricants in the manual gearboxes, automatic transmissions, AWD transfer cases and differentials. You can certainly surmise that this leads to premature component wear and failure, although most stated above outlasted the longest BMW warranty of 100,000 miles, so now they are safe....

BMW sells new and CPO'ed cars and they recognize that most won't keep them forever. Now, people want 'maintenance free' cars, so BMW gives them 'maintenance free' cars. ANYTHING can be maintenance free, just don't maintain it. If a drive train component fails due to lack of 'proper' maintenance after 100,000 miles, that does not affect BMW or the original owner in most cases. That is called the "old car ownership experience", and no one cares about that except for the small number of persons that keep a car a long time.

If you do plan on keeping your BMW past the 100,000 mile mark, (you should also apply this to all brands) you should be doing more maintenance than what BMW recommends. Develop your own maintenance schedule and not the computer controlled one BMW uses.

Why????

If you really look at the actual work being performed during Inspections I and II. You will find a great deal of 'check this', 'verify that' and 'adjust this'.
But you will not find very much of 'remove and replace' or 'drain and fill'.

Yep, it is important to check, verify and adjust things, but equally important to change your operating fluids if you want your cars systems and components to last.

My basic maintenance schedule for the Zed is:

Engine Oil/filter: 7000 to 7500 miles or once a year. High revving engines need better oil protection.
Automatic Transmission fluid/filter: 30,000 miles or every four years. Especially the Automatic Transmission.......
Manual Transmission: Best case 30,000, worst case 50,000 miles
Differential fluid: Best case 30,000, worst case 50,000 miles

Drain and flush the coolant every two years. Coolant does not wear out, but the corrosion resistant properties fade.
Flush the break fluid every two years. Its hydroscopic - absorbs water. Reduces temperature that fluid will boil.
Change Spark Plugs every 50,000 miles. Very cheap insurance.
Replace upstream (front) O2 sensors every 65,000 miles. The design life of most O2 sensors is 60,000 miles.
Clean my Air Filter every three to six months..

My 97' F-150 with a 5.4L V8, and a Paxton supercharger that produces 360HP @RW, but redline is 5000 RPM and in normal driving never gets above 3000 RPM. Current mileage is 179,000 miles with 25,000 of extreme off-roading miles and four years of towing a 6000lb. boat.

Engine oil/filter: 7000 to 10,000 miles or once a year.
Automatic Transmission fluid/filter: 30,000 miles or every four years.
Automatic Computer Controlled Transfer case: 30,000 miles or every four years.
Both front and rear Differential fluid: Best case 30,000 miles. More if I have been in a lot if high water. Especially the Front Differential... CJjeeper will understand..... :lol:

Drain and flush the coolant every two years.
Flush the break fluid every two years.
Change Spark Plugs every 50,000 miles. It is NOT easy on this engine. It takes two to three hours as least...
Replace upstream (front) O2 sensors every 65,000 miles.
Clean my Air Filter every three to six months..

I use the same maintenance schedule I use on the Zed for my 2006 Honda Accord....

The two track cars that I use, (not mine) we do a lot more maintenance on them than the basic. And they are also daily drivers for the owner.. :D

I use Amsoil in all my vehicles and have been using it for the last 20 years. Not just the engine but everywhere in the vehicle....
I tried RoyalPurple in the Zed's engine for 7000 miles but did not like the oil analysis report I got back from using it. Went back to Amsoil. Life is good again...

Really and truly, like waxes, there is no 'Best Oil'. Some oils offer better protection for the longer drain intervals. Some offer adequate protection on shorter drain intervals.
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The BMW Maintenance Schedule

Post by 2 Zero » Fri May 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Nice write up!!

BUt

I just looked Amsoil and it is VERY pricey!
$9.50 a quart delivered!!
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 pm

The only difference to that for me is that I do my oil changes every 6 months or 6,000 miles - just like I did with muy e34 M5. Plus I change the plugs every Inspection (i.e. 20,000 miles or so).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri May 22, 2009 7:25 pm

2 Zero wrote:Nice write up!!

BUt

I just looked Amsoil and it is VERY pricey!
$9.50 a quart delivered!!

The point of this was not to recommend any brand of oil...

You can afford it...........
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 pm

So where are all the how-tos :evil: :poke:

j/k, i have a chiltons, it will help.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Sat May 23, 2009 12:35 am

Not sure I'll do much less than 12k/1 year on oil servicing.

I do agree with gearbox oil/diff oil though, every 50k makes sense.

Ultimately I look at it this way, when it matters, I won't have the car. If I do, I'll just get it rebuilt with new everything with the money saved from doing the oil half as often for 10 years, and the money saved from not buying a new car anyway ;)

I'd rather have a re-built engine at 150,000 miles for example, than one that was tired and worn anyway, and I'd spent extra servicing it for years.

Not saying I skimp, I spend what needs spending and get things ship-shape. But I think we can go too far on protection on longevity. If I drove the car on track days and very hard road use just at weekends, then I'd think differently, but 90% of the time my car is ambling along at 1500-2500rpm tops :)

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

BSVA

Post by BSVA » Sat May 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Great article that you wrote up. Since I don't rack up many miles, I do change the oil and filter yearly, (faithfully). I know a little maintenance now will save a lot of problems later.
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Ellipsoids,
Continental ProContact RX SSR's.

BobbyB

Post by BobbyB » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this, it definitely got me thinking.

I've not long had the car and it still thinks there are 7000 miles until the next service but I've just booked mine in with the local garage for -

Engine Oil/filter: 7000 to 7500 miles or once a year.
Drain and flush the coolant
Change Spark Plugs
Air filter
Fuel Filter

Chap said he pump a lot of new brake fluid through when did my stuck caliper last week. Suggested the O2 sensor is OK to leave until the light comes on, won't do any harm???

Basically thanks - this was useful.
3.0si Coupe, Titanium Silver, manual, nearly all of the trimmings.

step_change

Post by step_change » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Good write up.
Regular oil and oil filter changes have always been the most important preventative maintenance procedure you can do to any car.

What about DISA unit? Should that be replaced as a matter of course? It is easy to do so I'd say yes after 50-60000.
Also how long do the VANOS seals last? Should they be swapped?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

BobbyB

Post by BobbyB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:21 pm

BobbyB wrote:Thanks for sharing this, it definitely got me thinking.

I've not long had the car and it still thinks there are 7000 miles until the next service but I've just booked mine in with the local garage for -

Engine Oil/filter: 7000 to 7500 miles or once a year.
Drain and flush the coolant
Change Spark Plugs
Air filter
Fuel Filter

Chap said he pump a lot of new brake fluid through when did my stuck caliper last week. Suggested the O2 sensor is OK to leave until the light comes on, won't do any harm???

Basically thanks - this was useful.
Just got car back. My local independent said the spark plugs were original bmw and in need of change so did these, antifreeze was measured to -37 using a tool and wasnt degraded so ok, did the gearbox oil and engine oil, filter and air filter. They couldn't work out how to fill the differential oil, only drain it, so didn't want to risk it, any ideas? Also they said the fuel filter was integral to the tank so couldn't be checked or changed, thoughts? £274 all in, seemed fine. Advisory on front bush as showing movement. Cheers all.
3.0si Coupe, Titanium Silver, manual, nearly all of the trimmings.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:26 pm

I wouldn't let anyone touch my car who doesn't know how to drain a diff... With or without a syringe...
Coolant and brake fluid every two years regardless, and the fuel filter is indeed integrated.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this info. It's definitely highlighted a few areas I'll be getting my mechanic to look into. Cheers Shipkiller!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Great read this, my 3.0si Coupe is on 91k so thinking of getting the diff fluid, transmission fluid and coolant change done in the next little while at an Indy. Anyone know roughly how much all 3 should cost?
Z4 Coupe, 58 plate, black, love it :driving:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 pm

Jamesw wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pmGreat read this, my 3.0si Coupe is on 91k so thinking of getting the diff fluid, transmission fluid and coolant change done in the next little while at an Indy. Anyone know roughly how much all 3 should cost?
Expect wildly different quotes, mostly akin to robbery, if you can even find somewhere that will do box and diff.
Excuses are often worth recording for later giggles.

I've had:

"filled for life, so it doesn't need it mate"
"different oil so we can't dispose of it"
"they're sealed so we can't do it"

And many more...

If you can get the car on a ramp or up on ramps then have a look under yourself (or buy some and save some money long term).

I had a local mechanic in a shed do my diff for £20 cash when I supplied the oil, literally 20 mins work on a ramp.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Jamesw wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pmGreat read this, my 3.0si Coupe is on 91k so thinking of getting the diff fluid, transmission fluid and coolant change done in the next little while at an Indy. Anyone know roughly how much all 3 should cost?
I had my gearbox oil changed when I had my last service at my local BMW Indy on my 82K E86. He's ex-Sytner but he is in favour of changing it rather than working to the "life-time" approach. Gearbox cost me £15 labour, £23.13 MTF + VAT - and it feels much better for having it done!

I asked about the diff but he said it doesn't have a drain plug so it can get expensive to drain it - coolant not yet due since I bought it so I can't help with that either, sorry!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black