Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID Kit Upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Xter21

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Xter21 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,

So I've been thinking about upgrading my halogens to some good quality xenons, but with so many options and prices it is a nightmare to distinguish between good and bad. There're some kits going for £20, then similar looking ones go for as much as £70 and you just don't know what exactly you're paying for. I would have bought something from Hids-Direct, particularly because of their slim ballast canbus kits, but they seem to be out of business.

I've found the M-Tech brand, which apparently makes good quality stuff and this particular kit might be what I'm looking for, but I'm unsure whether the price is good or not due to so many alternatives. The description is non-existent on pretty much all of M-tech listings, so it's difficult to tell whether the ballasts here are indeed slim as there seem to be a few different versions of them.

Hids4U have several kits, but nothing at 4300k for H7s, their ballasts seem to be quite chunky and again, not sure whether their prices reflect good quality.

Can anyone kindly recommend a decent kit for a H7 upgrade? I would probably want to go with 4300k at 35W, not fussed about price, as long as I get a decent kit! Thanks!!
2006 E85 Z4 2.5si Manual Titan Silver

lucasxdiniz

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm

In my previous car I tried all sorts of HID kits, from £20 eBay specials to HIDs4U premium ones. All of them ended up looking aftermarket-y, some just looked chavtastic (even though they were supposed to be 5000K). So I recommend an LED kit.

I have one right now and I'm very pleased with it, mainly because it looks OEM and has greatly modernised the looks of the car with the lights on -- it's nice and white.

Some photos (looks a bit blue-ish, but it is true white in real life, which I failed to capture with my camera):

The parts you'll need (no need for coding with these):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-E60- ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V9-CSP-LED-H ... 2749.l2649
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

Xter21

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Xter21 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm In my previous car I tried all sorts of HID kits, from £20 eBay specials to HIDs4U premium ones. All of them ended up looking aftermarket-y, some just looked chavtastic (even though they were supposed to be 5000K). So I recommend an LED kit.

I have one right now and I'm very pleased with it, mainly because it looks OEM and has greatly modernised the looks of the car with the lights on -- it's nice and white.

The parts you'll need (no need for coding with these):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-E60- ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V9-CSP-LED-H ... 2749.l2649
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Hi mate,

Thanks for a recommendation. That's a very nice looking zed too! :thumbsup:

My only worry with LEDs is that they're a bit hit and miss. I had temporarily owned a Corsa in the past (never again) and decided to stick some LEDs in. Went with this from Amazon and they were absolutely terrible. Very poor visibility. It could have just been a bad choice, since it was the first time I had bought a pair of LEDs for a H7 replacement, but it kinda put me off. The scary part is that those particular LEDs have pretty good reviews!!!

I will, however, have a look and see if I find anything of interest, but it will be hard to spend £40+, considering I've had a bad experience with LEDs before! :D

Btw, does the back of the LED provide enough room for the cover to be tucked back in place properly?

greg81

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by greg81 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Have a read up on MOT rules before you purchase anything.

https://greyhead.co.uk/other-things/are ... s-legal-uk

lucasxdiniz

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu May 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Xter21 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm
Hi mate,

Thanks for a recommendation. That's a very nice looking zed too! :thumbsup:

My only worry with LEDs is that they're a bit hit and miss. I had temporarily owned a Corsa in the past (never again) and decided to stick some LEDs in. Went with this from Amazon and they were absolutely terrible. Very poor visibility. It could have just been a bad choice, since it was the first time I had bought a pair of LEDs for a H7 replacement, but it kinda put me off. The scary part is that those particular LEDs have pretty good reviews!!!

I will, however, have a look and see if I find anything of interest, but it will be hard to spend £40+, considering I've had a bad experience with LEDs before! :D

Btw, does the back of the LED provide enough room for the cover to be tucked back in place properly?
When I was looking at LEDs, I emailed the seller that sold BMW LED/HID adaptors and asked which kit he recommended, fitment wise, and that would not trigger the bulb light on the dash (I didn't know about coding then), he then sent me the kit I recommended here saying that it would definitely fit (which it does, rather well) and mentioned that it was a new product he had just received and it seemed to be better than the other kits he sold. He even asked me to email him some feedback as he wanted to know if he should keep stocking it. I definitely recommend this for the z4, especially after all the poor experience I had with HID kits.

My boss installed this LED kit in his wife's C70 and he is very happy with the results. Having seen the car myself, it worked just as well for him
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

lucasxdiniz

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu May 30, 2019 3:44 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm Have a read up on MOT rules before you purchase anything.

None of these kits are strictly road-legal, as they're not E marked. But, speaking from experience, if the beam pattern is right, the colour temperature is reasonable, they will not open your headlights to check if the bulb is E marked. Therefore, no fail there.

Insurance might be a worry, but as above.

Xter21

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Xter21 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:52 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm Have a read up on MOT rules before you purchase anything.

Thanks for the link, Greg. Interesting read. From my understanding, as long as a correct beam pattern is made, the hids do not cause excessive glare and the light colour is either yellow or white, then all should be good. I wouldn't want to be a problem to other drivers anyway, I just want more visibility. I wouldn't mind getting a set of new projectors to go with xenons if needed. Anyways, MOT is not due for a year :lol:

Xter21

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Xter21 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:00 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:39 pm
When I was looking at LEDs, I emailed the seller that sold BMW LED/HID adaptors and asked which kit he recommended, fitment wise, and that would not trigger the bulb light on the dash (I didn't know about coding then), he then sent me the kit I recommended here saying that it would definitely fit (which it does, rather well) and mentioned that it was a new product he had just received and it seemed to be better than the other kits he sold. He even asked me to email him some feedback as he wanted to know if he should keep stocking it. I definitely recommend this for the z4, especially after all the poor experience I had with HID kits.

My boss installed this LED kit in his wife's C70 and he is very happy with the results. Having seen the car myself, it worked just as well for him
I'm definitely more convinced now :) Thanks for letting me know. I might give them a try. Maybe I can source those adapters from somewhere else.. £9.95 for two metal clips is a rip off!!

lucasxdiniz

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu May 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Xter21 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:00 pm I'm definitely more convinced now :) Thanks for letting me know. I might give them a try. Maybe I can source those adapters from somewhere else.. £9.95 for two metal clips is a rip off!!
Not sure if it is or isn't. I was just happy I didn't need to design and 3D print them myself! That was the case with my MX5.

Just note that you need to twist the H7 plate on the LED bulb for it to come off so you can install the adaptor between the fan and the plate. It looked so well put together I had assumed it was one piece and had to email the seller. :oops:

Post a photo once you've installed whichever kit you go for! :D

Darkangelv2

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:19 pm

I went with Hids Direct and a 5000K kit. Nice and white (not blue) and matched with 4300K Philips LED side lights perfectly.

It was called a Terminator kit at the time but basically a slim 35W kit. It's been solid for 3/4 years now i think.

I won't comment on legality, but in terms of MOT you have 2 choices. Fit the washer system if you don't have it (this is what i did when i switched over to an M bumper) or swap out for standard bulbs on test day.

Mine failed when i tried to put it through without the washers.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Xter21

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Xter21 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Shame Hids Direct are not in business at the moment, otherwise I would have been fitting the hids by now :lol: Interesting that regarding the washer system. I just thought it had to be in a working order if it was present, but irrelevant if not. Clearly, I was wrong. Should have paid more attention whilst reading rules above!

tuco

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by tuco » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 pm

lucasxdiniz, Were you able to refit the back plate onto the rear of the headlight with those led bulbs ?

Thermaltake

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by Thermaltake » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:23 pm

I went with the LED route,

No ballasts, no warm up etc,, plug in relatively easily, The mounting brackets for H7 are abit of a pain.

look like stock but brighter, never flashed etc.

Been in about a year maybe more now, And still going fine although have noticed sometimes at idle and I apply a little throttle and let off, The lights dim a tiny bit then settle, You really have to look to notice it, I only noticed against a garage door. Possibly wiring related but Id be happy to pay £25 for another set if these ever go.

tuco

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by tuco » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm

lucasxdiniz, did the back plates fit back on sealing the unit after fitting the LED bulbs ?

NeilP

HID Kit Upgrade

Post by NeilP » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Thermaltake wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:23 pm I went with the LED route,

No ballasts, no warm up etc,, plug in relatively easily, The mounting brackets for H7 are abit of a pain.

look like stock but brighter, never flashed etc.

Been in about a year maybe more now, And still going fine although have noticed sometimes at idle and I apply a little throttle and let off, The lights dim a tiny bit then settle, You really have to look to notice it, I only noticed against a garage door. Possibly wiring related but Id be happy to pay £25 for another set if these ever go.
That’s purely voltage related. I’ve noticed that happens on my z4’s too (in this case the rear lights dim temporarily)