BMW Navigation System

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Post Reply
Gibon101
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

BMW Navigation System

Post by Gibon101 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi!

I have the Sat Nav in my Zed but I'm looking at changing the radio - I'm wanting to update it a little and have bluetooth and apple car play on the radio.

My only concern is that if I change the radio I'll lose the function of the Sat Nav as it is, obviously, controlled by the factory headunit. Does any one if there is a way to change/modify the way the Sat Nav is controlled or am I going to have to rip it all out to upgrade the radio and sort out the hole in the dash?!!

Photo of the current factory Sat Nav is attached- sorry not sure how to make it the right way around!

Thanks
Attachments
sat nav.jpg
sat nav.jpg (82.48 KiB) Viewed 248 times
2004 E85 2.5 manual

Migizi
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: USA - Minnesota

BMW Navigation System

Post by Migizi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Since the new system would have CarPlay
Are you certain you need the built in nav?
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Gibon101
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

BMW Navigation System

Post by Gibon101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am

Migizi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm
Since the new system would have CarPlay
Are you certain you need the built in nav?
Well I wouldn't be using the actual Nav no, it would mainly be for the "Computer" section - i.e. resetting my MPG, average speed and setting the date and time....unless there is another way of resetting/changing all of this that I've not realised?!
2004 E85 2.5 manual

Migizi
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: USA - Minnesota

BMW Navigation System

Post by Migizi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Good Point - did not think of that.
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

User avatar
ben g
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7066
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Location: Essex

BMW Navigation System

Post by ben g » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Gibon101 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am
Migizi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm
Since the new system would have CarPlay
Are you certain you need the built in nav?
Well I wouldn't be using the actual Nav no, it would mainly be for the "Computer" section - i.e. resetting my MPG, average speed and setting the date and time....unless there is another way of resetting/changing all of this that I've not realised?!
Thats all done using the button on the indicator stalk.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Bilstein, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP, Strut Brace.

Gibon101
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

BMW Navigation System

Post by Gibon101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

ben g wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm
Gibon101 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am
Migizi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm
Since the new system would have CarPlay
Are you certain you need the built in nav?
Well I wouldn't be using the actual Nav no, it would mainly be for the "Computer" section - i.e. resetting my MPG, average speed and setting the date and time....unless there is another way of resetting/changing all of this that I've not realised?!
Thats all done using the button on the indicator stalk.
Ohhh! I've only ever done it via the Sat Nav, will have a play later this week and see if that works then, cheers.
2004 E85 2.5 manual

User avatar
ben g
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7066
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Location: Essex

BMW Navigation System

Post by ben g » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm

To change the date and time, you press and hold one of the 2 buttons on the speedo. I always get it the wrong way around and end up resetting my mileage everytime :headbang:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Bilstein, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP, Strut Brace.

User avatar
Felix79
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 am
Location: Oxford

BMW Navigation System

Post by Felix79 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Under the right bottom of the radio is an AUX jack for the sound system. I run a cable to my iPhone to play my music that way. I find my iPhone X sits nicely in the little slot at the back of the centre console.

Gibon101
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

BMW Navigation System

Post by Gibon101 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

ben g wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm
To change the date and time, you press and hold one of the 2 buttons on the speedo. I always get it the wrong way around and end up resetting my mileage everytime :headbang:
haha! yeah cheers, will have a look - I think i know which one you mean as i always press it to reset the mileage when i fill up and nothing happens!
2004 E85 2.5 manual

Gibon101
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

BMW Navigation System

Post by Gibon101 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 am

Felix79 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Under the right bottom of the radio is an AUX jack for the sound system. I run a cable to my iPhone to play my music that way. I find my iPhone X sits nicely in the little slot at the back of the centre console.
I dont have the AUX jack, I could be wrong but I think these were either an optional extra or aftermarket on the E85
2004 E85 2.5 manual

Post Reply