Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lengthy Road Trip - Help Me Avoid a Breakdown!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Always wanted to go on a European road trip and now I feel I finally have the car to do it justice! So I'm off to the mountain passes mid June. I'll try and get some good photos and videos for anyone interested.

Besides the usual servicy bits, any suggestions on preventative maintenance to do before driving thousands of miles? For example I'm thinking I might swap over the expansion tank. Gearbox/diff oil is being done too but I'm thinking more the stuff that could lead to a full breakdown as that's my biggest concern.

Any suggestions would be brilliant :driving:
Gone: Sterling Grey '03 Z4 3.0i | Custom Exhaust System | Lowered
Gone: Silver Grey ’06 Z4 3.0Si | Full Aero Body Kit | Back Box Delete
Current: Silver Grey '58 Z4 3.0Si | Back Box Delete

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Look into the Euro paperwork required just in case as the UK might be out of Europe come 1st June if there's not satisfactory progress on whatever the leave deal or no deal disaster may or may not be.

Also, if agreement is made on the withdrawal from the EU then the UK could leave at any time between now and 31st October.

So the paperwork is probably a good idea to look into.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Check tyres, check brakes, top up fluids and start driving :thumbsup:

No guarantee that your brand new part won't fail spectacularly after only a couple of miles. Best bet is to spend the money on appropriate breakdown cover instead.

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm

take a basic tool set with you - socket set, bottle of water, wheel goo, breakdown cover and off you go
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

MalNCH

Post by MalNCH » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Last October I went to Gotheburg, Sweden. I checked all the usual, made sure I had breakdown cover and a can of tyre weld and off I went with no worries what so ever.
My car is a 2004 with 140,000 miles on the clock, it didn't miss a beat.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:28 pm

I'm with the basic precaution brigade, don't overthink it, check and replace the obvious if required and go.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Same sort of trip here in the near future. Drive train oils were done last summer so no need to change them, as was the cooling system.

My prep for this trip is genuinely just check tyres, check oil levels, throw a few bits in the boot (1l oil topup, tyre sealant) and then all the legal stuff you need for France (headlight deflectors, high viz vests in the cabin). Oil was changed last weekend along with all filters.

Breakdown cover, my UK one extends to Europe so no worries there.

Rather excited, I must say!

Fergy199

Post by Fergy199 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

I am hoping to drive over to Italy (lake Garda) in June and also wondering how much stuff to take, all good information so far.

I am getting my car checked out by friend mechanic but still no certainty all goes according to plan, fingers crossed :D

Like others suggested I will ensure good breakdown cover with full recovery if required, although I see most companies only recover to the value of your car.
Let me know how the trip goes and Bon voyage.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Are you on run flats or proper tyres?

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for all the replies:

Skelters - Will look into the paperwork. Looks as though until we're further along nothing has changed but I will keep checking so there are no nasty surprises, good point.

Will make sure to get decent breakdown cover and takes the basics like socket set, oil and puncture repair kit (I'm not on run flats).

jennings23 - Where are you planning on going? I'm still in the process of putting together a route but it's made quite tricky by the fact all the online mapping tools don't allow you to include the alpine passes that are currently closed, so having to do it the old way by map!

BTW is there a way to tag in members so they get notifications or is the best way just to quote each reply?

Had a better look under the car last night before I get it raised up properly this weekend and the exhaust isn't looking very good so that might need some attention :o
IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg (319.85 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg (256.16 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Gone: Sterling Grey '03 Z4 3.0i | Custom Exhaust System | Lowered
Gone: Silver Grey ’06 Z4 3.0Si | Full Aero Body Kit | Back Box Delete
Current: Silver Grey '58 Z4 3.0Si | Back Box Delete

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 am

If you don't know the history of your coils, leave a spare in the boot, they're about £20 from ECP, and learn how to change one, takes about 3 mins on an E85 and is very very easy.

Tip - when route planning, do a little less and enjoy more, chasing miles and doing too many soon becomes a chore. I've personally done in the region of 50-60 European roads trips and very very rarely book hotels in advance, meaning I can stop when I want rather than having to be somewhere particular on a certain date. I tend to start looking out for a hotel 4-5pm and am usually in one within an hour.

Good luck :thumbsup:

skelters

Post by skelters » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 pm

If you don't have a code reader then it might be worth getting one in case you do break down.

Even if you don't know what any error codes mean there's a wealth of information on the forum to point you in the right direction.

Also post any issues while you're away. We might not be able to help but it'll give everyone a laugh! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Ruofdez wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm Always wanted to go on a European road trip and now I feel I finally have the car to do it justice! So I'm off to the mountain passes mid June. I'll try and get some good photos and videos for anyone interested.

Besides the usual servicy bits, any suggestions on preventative maintenance to do before driving thousands of miles? For example I'm thinking I might swap over the expansion tank. Gearbox/diff oil is being done too but I'm thinking more the stuff that could lead to a full breakdown as that's my biggest concern.

Any suggestions would be brilliant :driving:
I did a Euro trip in my E86 around this time last year (see the YouTube link in my signature).

In terms of prep for the trip I would do the following:

Car related
  • Engine oil and filter
  • Coolant flush
  • Check tyre tread
  • Check brake pads, discs and calipers
  • Check battery
  • Gearbox oil (but not necessary)
  • Differential oil (but not necessary)
  • Brake fluid (but not necessary unless you plan on doing track driving).
Trip related
  • Ensure you have fully comp insurance and breakdown cover
  • Ensure you have in-car media connectivity (eg a GROM or an aftermarket radio)
  • Get a Sat Nav with Euro Maps
  • Plan your fuel stops and on journey food stops to save time
  • Get a RAC euro pack (which should include items such as visibility jacket, eurolites, breathalyser etc)
  • A competent co-driver.
Enjoy!
Last edited by R60BBA on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

grumps

Post by grumps » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 am

Ruofdez wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm Any suggestions would be brilliant :driving:
Don't forget to check that your insurance covers you fully comp in Europe. Most UK policies only provide 3rd party cover on the continent unless you pay for the fully comp extension. They also limit the fully comp cover to a maximum of 90 days per year.

It might be worth checking that cover also includes recovery of your damaged car back to the UK.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

Davz

Post by Davz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Ancillary drive belts ok? All coolant system hoses in good cond?
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.