Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Centre Jacking Point For Non-M

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... ay/FiJt7rY

The fact that BMWs own factory repair manuals show it as a safe lifting point means more to me than hearsay on the internet. You'll notice its very explicit about having to remove the metal under tray from the rear before using the rear diff as a lifting point. No such qualifications made about anything at the front.

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... ay/FiJt7rY

The fact that BMWs own factory repair manuals show it as a safe lifting point means more to me than hearsay on the internet. You'll notice its very explicit about having to remove the metal under tray from the rear before using the rear diff as a lifting point. No such qualifications made about anything at the front.
That's a fair point, can see the arguments on both sides :thumbsup:
Gone: Sterling Grey '03 Z4 3.0i | Custom Exhaust System | Lowered
Gone: Silver Grey ’06 Z4 3.0Si | Full Aero Body Kit | Back Box Delete
Current: Silver Grey '58 Z4 3.0Si | Back Box Delete

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Ruofdez wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e85- ... ay/FiJt7rY

That's a fair point, can see the arguments on both sides :thumbsup:
Obviously just do what you're comfortable with, as I said I've used the centre point multiple times with zero issues, albeit I don't have a jack that can reach it without lifting the front wheels a bit anyway... massive pain!

Typically use the side jack points to lift the front wheels and putting a block of wood under the wheel, dropping down and swapping sides before finally getting to the front centre point and stands under the side pads. Used to be able to use a ramp, but the splitter on the car has done away with them plans :rofl:

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 pm

To solve this issue entirely could always invest in a quickjack. Used mine for the first time last week wish I would've gotten it a long time ago.
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits
07 e86 3.0si stock for the moment

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am

Take care the document you linked to is NOT a BMW factory repair manual at all!, on the home page it says "newTIS.info is not an official source of information and is not affiliated with BMW in any way". Its wrong and is showing a schematic of of the ///M which has jacking point access, the rest of the range don't. If you check any manual supplied with a non-M car the front point is not a safe jacking point because it's a light alloy honeycomb brace that will crush and will lose it's structural integrity.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 am

Firstly, I am not saying you are wrong Ewazix however the car shown underneath has only two exhausts so can’t be an M however I totally agree with what you are saying reference jacking points and crushing things, just too risky in my book. I’ll stick to the side jacking points and awkward it may be but it’s safe. :)
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 am

Could an M brace be fitted to a non M car to facilitate a jacking point?
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Ewazix wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am

Take care the document you linked to is NOT a BMW factory repair manual at all!, on the home page it says "newTIS.info is not an official source of information and is not affiliated with BMW in any way". Its wrong and is showing a schematic of of the ///M which has jacking point access, the rest of the range don't. If you check any manual supplied with a non-M car the front point is not a safe jacking point because it's a light alloy honeycomb brace that will crush and will lose it's structural integrity.
TIS (Technical Information System) is BMW's official factory repair manuals. This website is merely an unofficial hosting of it as BMW don't officially release it to anyone outside the dealer chain, hence the website stating they are not affiliated.

I can open up the official BMW TIS software on my pc and it's the exact same. Unfortunately I can't very well link the software on here for every question.

Please do some research before jumping on people's comments and preaching "hearsay" as factual information. Do you honestly believe the subframe of a steel chassis car is lightweight honeycomb aluminium?

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Please do some research before jumping on people's comments and preaching "hearsay" as factual information. Do you honestly believe the subframe of a steel chassis car is lightweight honeycomb aluminium?
Never mind 'research' or 'preachy hearsay' you cheeky sod, I happen to believe it's hollow alloy because I've removed it! :rofl:

The part we are beefing about is called a front suspension reinforcing plate (the clue to its function is in the name) it's there to add lateral rigidity to the front suspension (stop it slopping about) and people who have driven without it report the car feeling strangely wallowy on the front end. It's part number 51717028433 (shared with the E46 and E86) and is made of hollow, reinforced aluminium alloy. Because it's there to provide lateral stiffness only, and is light alloy hollow section with some lattice reinforcement inside, crushing it or deforming it's lateral strength or dimensions will risk unwanted suspension 'slop'. It's not designed to be used as a jacking point, if you remove it, then yes you will have a jacking point underneath per the ///M, which may explain why some diagrams show it.

In fairness members say they have used it and found that crushing this member hasn't caused there car to collapse or crash in a ball of flames, so maybe crack on :hattip:

A vid on removing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnv4egujpHY

One for sale https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/ ... 1717028433

Real oem https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0642
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Ewazix wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm
Never mind 'research' or 'preachy hearsay' you cheeky sod, I happen to believe it's hollow alloy because I've removed it! :rofl:
Seems we have a misunderstanding here. I was not advocating using the aluminium plate as a lifting point, bit the cutout on them fits a jacking adaptor perfectly and is positioned directly against the structural cross member behind. Perhaps you missed my earlier point about it not doing any damage or bending anything using the correct jacking pad.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm

So this part is lightweight hollow aluminium and I wasn't trotting out 'hearsay' then? :wink:

The area under the indent is still a cavity, pad or no pad I can't see how it will not crush. People who have done it report it crushing even with a pad, which is why I didn't try. It sounds like you have actually done this? If you get a chance a video of how you use a pad on the alloy member would be a really useful for members thinking of using what would be a great facility. :thumbsup:
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Migizi

Post by Migizi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 pm

related question to this thread,

my reinforcement plate does NOT have the rubber jack pad, and I cannot find the part number on Real OEM (maybe I'm just not seeing it).
Does anyone know that part number?

2006 E85 3.0si

Here is a pic of what I am referencing...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 7.53.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 7.53.32 AM.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 532 times
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

G600

Post by G600 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Migizi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:02 pm related question to this thread,

my reinforcement plate does NOT have the rubber jack pad, and I cannot find the part number on Real OEM (maybe I'm just not seeing it).
Does anyone know that part number?

2006 E85 3.0si

Here is a pic of what I am referencing...
Because it's only fitted to the M you won't find it if you're looking at realoem under a 3.0si
E85 3.0

Migizi

Post by Migizi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm

would the rubber jack pad for the M fit on a non-M?
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Migizi wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm would the rubber jack pad for the M fit on a non-M?
No, the front axle assembly including the alloy reinforcing plate are different part numbers on the M. The reinforcing plate of the M is a different construction and also has a cut-out for the jack pad. You can see the assembly and part numbers on real oem, unfortunately the non-M cars don't have the cut out through the hollow section for a pad.

But looking at the two they both are fitted with 8 x M10x35mm bolts so wonder if the complete M reinforcing plate with it's cut-out and pad can be fitted to other models? :scratchhead:

///M https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0779

Other e85/86 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0642
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost