Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattles

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ala5dair

Rattles

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm

I’ve just replaced the run-flats in my zed for Pirelli P Zero, which have transformed the ride and handling. However, this has highlighted the hitherto unknown issue of rattles in/around the passenger door, which leads me to ask:

1. I’ve read that other members have fitted soundproofing to the doors. How is this done, and what is used?
2. Does anyone have any clues as to where the rattle is likely to be coming from? There is nothing obviously loose within the passenger compartment, and so I suspect it’s within the door or behind the dash.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

skelters

Rattles

Post by skelters » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 pm

It could be the window regulator on it's way out.

Or maybe not.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

greg81

Rattles

Post by greg81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Another vote for regulator. Mine rattled for weeks then snapped one day!

skelters

Rattles

Post by skelters » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Usually hear it at it's worst when you get in the car and close the door.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Rattles

Post by MrPT » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 am

The door lock pin can rattle. There are some crappy bits of foam inside the door that are meant to stop it buzzing but they wear out. The pin can be pulled out and the bottom part wrapped in tape.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

spazmochad

Rattles

Post by spazmochad » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:14 pm

I've put silent coat sound deadening all over my doors.

They come as sheets which you can stick on. You need to remove the foam door seal under the door to fit them and you'll need more butyl tape depending on how your cut through it.

I put some sticky backed black felt around the bottom of the lock pin to stop it rattling, a sheet is about a quid from a hobby store.

Ala5dair

Rattles

Post by Ala5dair » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I’ll investigate over the weekend, and report back.
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

tomrdy

Rattles

Post by tomrdy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 am

I had (well, still have) a rattle that I could have sworn came from the door. It drove me nuts as I tried to figure out what it was but could not fault the door area.

Ended up being my cup holder! The mechanism had snapped inside so it was rattle - I realised this when the rattle went away/changed while I had a drink in it.

Glued it back and it was gone... For a time. Now it's back I guess need stronger glue :D
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

Ala5dair

Rattles

Post by Ala5dair » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for the comments. I’ve fitted some felt to the near side door lock pin and, hey presto, suddenly I could just hear a rattling in the offside, so did the same. The next day, the rattle as back, so I think there was a placebo effect. I have some silent coat on order and will fit it next weekend. Having said that, I removed the hard top today, drove for an hour with roof down, and no noise, just the wind in my hair and the tyres on the road... perfect.
Thanks, everyone.