Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD2 Reader Recommendations?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mittens

Post by Mittens » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Heya,

I'm looking to buy an OBD2 reader which can also do the more advanced bits like resetting airbag fault and service timer (I understand some can't)

I've seen the Carly can enable options which is pretty tempting, I thought I saw they moved to a yearly subscription, I can't see any mention of that on their website, did they revert the decision?
- Can Carly set it so the seats move to a memory setting depending on the key used to unlock the car?

There is a huge selection out there and so I was hoping for some personal recommendations.

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am

I've got both the C110+ and the PA Soft.

The C110+ is an alright standalone unit (I just keep it in the car) which can do some basic code clearing - not sure on airbags though I've seen it done on Youtube.

The PA Soft is cable + software for Windows XP (yep). This can do a little bit more and can change the service timer iirc (I think I changed mine last time I had it fired up).

Other thing I did with PA Soft was enable comfort access for the roof - so key fob control of the soft top.

You can also add/remove cold and hot checks for lamps which is handy if you run into issues with LEDs.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 pm

tomrdy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:20 am I've got both the C110+ and the PA Soft.

The C110+ is an alright standalone unit (I just keep it in the car) which can do some basic code clearing - not sure on airbags though I've seen it done on Youtube.

The PA Soft is cable + software for Windows XP (yep). This can do a little bit more and can change the service timer iirc (I think I changed mine last time I had it fired up).

Other thing I did with PA Soft was enable comfort access for the roof - so key fob control of the soft top.

You can also add/remove cold and hot checks for lamps which is handy if you run into issues with LEDs.
Cheers, The C110+ looks like a good deal (looking at what the C310 offers for that extra £10 atm).

Unfortunately windows based systems aren't an option since my PC is a desktop.

I downloaded the carley app and it is indeed £50 a year which is just too much for the use I'd get out of it.

Jameszy

Post by Jameszy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 pm

I’d second the C110. For basic diagnostics it seems pretty good. For coding and the like you’d need something else.

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks you two, I went with the C310 in the end, the extra options seemed worth it.

Maybe I need to update the system, but automatic scan seems to be the same as manual i.e. I have to drill down into each sub system to ask if it has a code.