Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Brake pipes replacement cost?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:39 pm

What is the going rate to have the rear brake lines replaced properly?

There seems to be quite a variation in price, I've read the fuel tank needs dropping to route the pipes correctly.

Ive seen prices mentioned on here between £100 and £500+.
I can only assume the cheaper end routes the pipes somewhere else or joins them which I'm not keen on.

Any pointers on this would be very welcome.

Thanks

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:25 pm

I did mine myself it cost me around £60 including buying a flaring tool pipe and some new pipe fittings.
When I removed the plastic tray that protects the fuel and brake pipes there was already a convenient joint in one brake line and the pipes where like brand new under the tray so made a joint for the other pipe.
I did not have to drop the fuel tank just cut the old pipe and pulled it out in sections then threaded in the new pipe in kumifor (spelling) then with a hand held flaring tool flared the pipe on the car.

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks, I mean the price to have the work done professionally. Beyond discs and pad changes I don't do brakes.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

The cheaper prices are likely garages who don't commit to the unnecessary route of dropping the fuel tank, like some will tell you is absolutely essential.

It's not. As above you can thread the pipes around the tank no bother, if the garage won't do that find another who will.

Also depends on if they use copper or factory. I believe the factory pipes are pre-shaped so you can't thread them through tricky bits, this everything in the way requires removing. Oh, and they cost way more than copper. And they rust.

Make sure you get kunifer copper pipes, the factory ones are steel and will just rust through again in time.

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm The cheaper prices are likely garages who don't commit to the unnecessary route of dropping the fuel tank, like some will tell you is absolutely essential.

It's not. As above you can thread the pipes around the tank no bother, if the garage won't do that find another who will.

Also depends on if they use copper or factory. I believe the factory pipes are pre-shaped so you can't thread them through tricky bits, this everything in the way requires removing. Oh, and they cost way more than copper. And they rust.

Make sure you get kunifer copper pipes, the factory ones are steel and will just rust through again in time.
Thanks, very useful info.