Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Widow regulator cable

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tug

Widow regulator cable

Post by tug » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi all, just had a strange thing happen to my drivers window, it went down ok but to put it back up it was really slow and when it got to the top it would slowly go back down as if the safety feature stopped it.

So got home and quickly removed the door card. Tried to lower the window so i could work out if the regulator had gone it made a horrible scratching type sound then the cable that comes out of the motor snapped off. The regulator still works perfectly its not broke but the cable has snapped.

Has anybody ever had this happen and could offer advice on how to replace the cable, would love to remedy it myself before i take it to the indie to sort out. Many thanks for any advice you could share guys.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

obewan

Widow regulator cable

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 pm

You can buy the cable or a full regulator kit - not too difficult to replace you just need a bit of patience
There used to be a picture laden thread on here but I can't find it now
I've a word document for the full regulator replacement that may help you get a feel for the job
I can send it to you if you wish
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Widow regulator cable

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Had me going there, I thought a "widow regulator cable" was a euphemism for a moment :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

skelters

Widow regulator cable

Post by skelters » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 pm

tug wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm Hi all, just had a strange thing happen to my drivers window, it went down ok but to put it back up it was really slow and when it got to the top it would slowly go back down as if the safety feature stopped it.

So got home and quickly removed the door card. Tried to lower the window so i could work out if the regulator had gone it made a horrible scratching type sound then the cable that comes out of the motor snapped off. The regulator still works perfectly its not broke but the cable has snapped.

Has anybody ever had this happen and could offer advice on how to replace the cable, would love to remedy it myself before i take it to the indie to sort out. Many thanks for any advice you could share guys.

It's a feature of the Z4's. Everyone gets it at some point.

I had the regulator replace last year in the drivers door at BMW in Glasgow. £358. Then had to go back and get it adjusted as they made an arse of it. All fixed and working perfectly now.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

srhutch

Widow regulator cable

Post by srhutch » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I’ll be changing my passenger cable in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for some good weather.

Under £20 for cable, so cheap fix.

If doing yourself you’ll also need a pack of these to replace the drilled out rivets

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-roof ... pack/5213j

synthedup

Widow regulator cable

Post by synthedup » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 pm

I actually changed mine yesterday after is breaking Sunday evening. Changed the whole regulator. £169 from euro part with their current discount

tug

Widow regulator cable

Post by tug » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks guys, i ordered the replacement cable @£16 off fleabay will be here friday so will be avin a crack at it this wickend. I would really appreciate it Obewan if you could send me that so i have a fair idea before starting the job.

Oh i have just noticed i gaffed on the spelling of "Window" Thanks Rusty. :lol:

obewan

Widow regulator cable

Post by obewan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 am

tug wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:31 am Thanks guys, i ordered the replacement cable @£16 off fleabay will be here friday so will be avin a crack at it this wickend. I would really appreciate it Obewan if you could send me that so i have a fair idea before starting the job.

PM sent with instructions
Found this as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIWUrI2VFE
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

tug

Widow regulator cable

Post by tug » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:22 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 pm I’ll be changing my passenger cable in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for some good weather.

Under £20 for cable, so cheap fix.

If doing yourself you’ll also need a pack of these to replace the drilled out rivets

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-roof ... pack/5213j
Thanks for the info mate have bought some in readiness. :thumbsup:
obewan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 am
tug wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:31 am Thanks guys, i ordered the replacement cable @£16 off fleabay will be here friday so will be avin a crack at it this wickend. I would really appreciate it Obewan if you could send me that so i have a fair idea before starting the job.

PM sent with instructions
Found this as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIWUrI2VFE
Thanks obewan for the info its greatly appreciated, :thumbsup:

Cheers all, tug :)

srhutch

Widow regulator cable

Post by srhutch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:28 pm

That YouTube video is the one I used last time and will be using it again when I do mine.

The only real issue I had last time was putting the new cable in place because everything kept moving. This time I’m going to try and mount the 2 main pieces on a bit of ply to hold in place.

Jollyjoiner

Widow regulator cable

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 pm

I had to do both mine on my last Z Tug and followed the youtube guide, a little fiddly but not a bad job at all really. You will need some m5 or m6 bolts for the motor casing though as you have to drill the rivets out.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)