Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sound generator temporary delete

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi all,
I have a late 2006 3.0si coupe and I am finding the drone on the motorway, cruising at 65-75 very wearing. (I'm currently doing about 500mls a week of which 90% is motorway).

I appreciate this will be anathema to many on here, however I am looking at trying to reduce the drone and suspect changing the inlet ducting and sound generator for one from the 2.5 without the SG will improve matters.

My question is - are the diameters of the ducts, bellows etc. the same for both ? Looking at the graphics and part numbers on BMW supply, they seem to be, however the non SG bellows is not referenced on the 3.0Si page, so it is not exactly clear. eg.

https://bmwsupply.co.uk/part/details?se ... w=btdetail
https://bmwsupply.co.uk/part/details?se ... w=btdetail

Alternatively, has anyone tried the Samco hoses route ? - 2 bends and a joiner - as has been suggested by my Z4 owning indy. I recon the costs would be broadly similar but I would prefer the more or less straight swap OEM route if possible. I will keep the original with SG for when I come to sell in a few years time.

Many thank for any info.
2007 E86 "work in progress"

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:43 pm

A few years ago I bought a 3ltr roadster off a guy that had done the increased noise mod and the first thing I asked on the test drive was "did you leave the airfilter out when you serviced the car "
I think it sounds terrible but everyone's different , I dismantled the pipe work and blocked it with a domestos plastic bottle top , the red one , it's a perfect fit and won't cost more than a quid , and you can bleach the toilet too :lol:

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Why not just add more foam into the pipe going into the cabin
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

As above, i removed the pipe that goes through into the cabin area & capped off the diaphragm, the last part isn’t really essential though as the air can’t pass through that part so no air leak to worry about :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Spriteracer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm Alternatively, has anyone tried the Samco hoses route ? - 2 bends and a joiner - as has been suggested by my Z4 owning indy. I recon the costs would be broadly similar but I would prefer the more or less straight swap OEM route if possible.
I have been looking into this option for the race car in the interests of simplicity and having a bit more space in the engine bay. I thought I also might use the hole in the bulkhead for passing battery cables and fire extinguisher hoses.

I found this picture on a US forum.
sound_gen_delete.jpg
sound_gen_delete.jpg (154.98 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
My primary concern with this approach is the "step" that is introduced with the join. It's probably more disruptive to airflow than the sound generator branch-off. Do we know the outside diameter of the throttle body and airbox outlet? Is it constant?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:16 pm

As smartbear has said, just remove the gubbins and cap it off, it shouldnt affect the airflow at all as it only carrying soundwaves down it
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Thank you all.

It seems much simpler than I was anticipating. Couldn't tell from the parts diagrams if there was a direct connection or not. Just got to find the blind bulkhead plug. Seen it on BMW's own site and from Germany and Lithuania, but will consult my own parts boxes first.

Just a thought - should there be sound insulation behind the plug in the bulkhead where it has not been perforated on the non SG cars ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Spriteracer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 pm Thank you all.

It seems much simpler than I was anticipating. Couldn't tell from the parts diagrams if there was a direct connection or not. Just got to find the blind bulkhead plug. Seen it on BMW's own site and from Germany and Lithuania, but will consult my own parts boxes first.

Just a thought - should there be sound insulation behind the plug in the bulkhead where it has not been perforated on the non SG cars ?
I didn’t worry about replacing the sound insulation behind the pipe entry hole & couldn’t hear any engine noise after removing the sound generator pipe :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm

I have now removed both pieces of foam and I really love the sound although I think it may be leading to higher fuel consumption :wink:
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:04 am

Ok - have now removed the sound generator pipe and the diaphragm unit and plugged the end of the inlet ducting with a 5 litre container top, jubilee clip and some silicone. Seems fine and solid - no leaks. Plugged the bulkhead grommet similarly.

Was disappointed to find I still have the drone and resonance - particularly bad around 3k rpm under load - i.e at the usual motorway cruising speed in 6th.

So, I'm wondering if the projecting cavities on the inlet ducting have anything to do with it. Before I junk the whole thing for some simple pipes, does anyone know what they actually do ? I note the non SG version has something similar although not so extreme.

For info, I had the exhaust system / hanging etc checked before I bought the car, so don't think it will be that. It doesn't really sound like it anyway.

?? any known issues with engine or gearbox mounts ?

Thanks for any insight as always.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Well you seem to have ruled out the sound generator. But when you say you had the exhaust checked, have they actually checked its not aftermarket or looked at the top of the backbox to make sure no ones been in there and modded it etc... Does seem a little strange this droning issues your having, its normally associated with exhausts with a straight through backbox mod, an aftermarket exhaust or a backbox delete. I've not heard of any other owners experiencing the same on a standard car. However that said (and assuming its a manual) the coupe does use a shorter diff that either the pre/post 3.0i/si verts yet all three use the same gearbox and ratios so the coupe does rev a bit higher for a given speed which could be exasperating the problem.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks for that. Yes it is a manual. The exhaust was checked only for hanging correctly and leaks. I will look at the weekend, but due to the fact that nothing else on the car has been touched, and the suspension was in such a state that I have renewed almost all of it, I think it is unlikely that the exhaust will have been modified. An aftermarket cheapy possibly.

The resonance does improve with hard acceleration (classic BM 6 pot sound) or higher or lower speeds / or same speed but in lower gear. The "sweet" spot for the resonance is exactly where I spend most time on the motorway.

Regrettably I seem to have acquired a car with a slight lemon tinge, which is very annoying considering I've bought 6 other BMs over the years, and built and re-built the race car a few times. You would think I would have noticed things like this.... Must have been overcome by the excitement !