Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Seat & doorcard removal question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Very soon I'm going to remove the seats & doorcards for refurbishing. I'm going on holiday whilst the work is being done & I want to put the car back in the garage (and get it back out once done). I realise that I'll get the airbag warning light on if I leave the battery connected but I can sort that, I hope :? . Are there any issues with starting the car & moving it without seats & doorcards in place? It's only a few feet & I think a foot stool will do as a makeshift seat.

On a separate note; what's the best sound deadening material to use in the doors? Might as well do that too, they sound horribly tinny at the moment.

Dave
Zedless :(

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm Very soon I'm going to remove the seats & doorcards for refurbishing. I'm going on holiday whilst the work is being done & I want to put the car back in the garage (and get it back out once done). I realise that I'll get the airbag warning light on if I leave the battery connected but I can sort that, I hope :? . Are there any issues with starting the car & moving it without seats & doorcards in place? It's only a few feet & I think a foot stool will do as a makeshift seat.

On a separate note; what's the best sound deadening material to use in the doors? Might as well do that too, they sound horribly tinny at the moment.

Dave
can you roll it back in with the battery still disconnected, saves having the airbag switch turned off? (edit) why don't you do the removal in the garage?
not sure on the sound deadening question, I'd imagine silent coat, but not sure which type
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

rooha

Post by rooha » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm

i used this in my doors
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

this will do the trick in a pinch.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flash ... 25mm/22704

there shouldnt be a smell or anything and with our UK weather there is little chance of it melting in the summer. 8)

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:21 pm

philbo909 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm
oldgitdave wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm Very soon I'm going to remove the seats & doorcards for refurbishing. I'm going on holiday whilst the work is being done & I want to put the car back in the garage (and get it back out once done). I realise that I'll get the airbag warning light on if I leave the battery connected but I can sort that, I hope :? . Are there any issues with starting the car & moving it without seats & doorcards in place? It's only a few feet & I think a foot stool will do as a makeshift seat.

Dave
can you roll it back in with the battery still disconnected, saves having the airbag switch turned off? (edit) why don't you do the removal in the garage?
not sure on the sound deadening question, I'd imagine silent coat, but not sure which type
Yes, I could roll it into the garage but I wouldn't be able to push it back out due to the slope on the drive. Not sure if I can select neutral with the battery disconnected though, is it just a mechanical lock between the ignition switch & auto box?
Unfortunately the garage is too small to do it there. It's a pita to get in & out of the car anyway once it's in there :headbang: .

I'll take a look at silent coat, thanks :thumbsup: .

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm

rooha wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm i used this in my doors
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

this will do the trick in a pinch.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flash ... 25mm/22704

there shouldnt be a smell or anything and with our UK weather there is little chance of it melting in the summer. 8)
Thanks for that, the stuff on Amazon looks just the job.

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 pm

ah ok auto... I'm not sure
I'm also not sure how easy the airbag light is to switch off
if you take the doorcards out outside the garage and the seats out with the roof down in the garage maybe?
I'm sure someone will come along with a real answer :thumbsup:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 pm

I drove mine after taking my seats out. It's a very odd feeling :lol: but perfectly fine if only moving a few meters. I was able to turn my airbag light off using my inpa software, so that wasn't an issue.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 pm

ben g wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 pm I drove mine after taking my seats out. It's a very odd feeling :lol: but perfectly fine if only moving a few meters. I was able to turn my airbag light off using my inpa software, so that wasn't an issue.
:D looks like it'll be ok. mac27040 (ZedFest) isn't far away from me & has Carly so hopefully will be able to do the reset if needed.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am

oldgitdave wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 pm
ben g wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 pm I drove mine after taking my seats out. It's a very odd feeling :lol: but perfectly fine if only moving a few meters. I was able to turn my airbag light off using my inpa software, so that wasn't an issue.
:D looks like it'll be ok. mac27040 (ZedFest) isn't far away from me & has Carly so hopefully will be able to do the reset if needed.
I may be wrong - probably am - but I seem to remember reading that Carly can't reset airbag lights.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am I may be wrong - probably am - but I seem to remember reading that Carly can't reset airbag lights.
Correct, when I removed my seats and tripped the air bag light, I had to use my K+D can cable with ISTA to clear the airbag light, Carly wouldn't do it on my 2003 E85
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am I may be wrong - probably am - but I seem to remember reading that Carly can't reset airbag lights.
Correct, when I removed my seats and tripped the air bag light, I had to use my K+D can cable with ISTA to clear the airbag light, Carly wouldn't do it on my 2003 E85
Thanks for that chaps. Thought I'd read on here that he could do it, perhaps it's not Carly that he used, or more likely I've got it wrong :oops: .
Maybe this would do the trick?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC808-Memo-S ... ect=mobile

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 pm

I thought Mac had INPA, which can reset an airbag light easily.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm Maybe this would do the trick?
Nope - that won't work either, tried it myself before biting the bullet and installing INPA. £12 down the drain.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm

ben g wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 pm I thought Mac had INPA, which can reset an airbag light easily.
I'll check with him when the time comes. If he hasn't I'm sure there will be someone not too far away that could help if need be :thumbsup: .
Timmyboybunter wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm
oldgitdave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm Maybe this would do the trick?
Nope - that won't work either, tried it myself before biting the bullet and installing INPA. £12 down the drain.
Thanks for that, saved me wasting £12 :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm I'll check with him when the time comes. If he hasn't I'm sure there will be someone not too far away that could help if need be :thumbsup: .
I’ve no idea where you’re based, but I’m in Cambridge CB22.

I have INPA / ISTA / Carly / X-Diag so I can clear it (free of course)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/