Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aero skirt request

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:47 pm

I’ll be using expanding foam to form it, then fibreglass over the top. Filler then paint.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

davros

Aero skirt request

Post by davros » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:47 pm I’ll be using expanding foam to form it, then fibreglass over the top. Filler then paint.
Instead of filling and moulding your existing sills have you considered these sills from Mad motors?

https://www.madmotors.co.uk/body-kits/b ... kirts.html

They appear to have the same contours of the aero skirts and from the photos look like they just need the small air ducts to be filled in. It might be easier than trying to mould your existing sills.
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

paulc_bkk

Aero skirt request

Post by paulc_bkk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

davros wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm
Sgr74 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:47 pm I’ll be using expanding foam to form it, then fibreglass over the top. Filler then paint.
Instead of filling and moulding your existing sills have you considered these sills from Mad motors?

They appear to have the same contours of the aero skirts and from the photos look like they just need the small air ducts to be filled in. It might be easier than trying to mould your existing sills.
My thoughts exactly.... but as I’m in Bangkok I have to wait till my next UK trip to try to figure this stuff out and I’m not sure when that will be

That said, I have thought multiple times about how hard it would be (top gear reference) to custom create some aero knock-offs..... but then I usually remember how Jezza, Hammond & May were often ambitious but rubbish (there’s another one).

I know for a fact I’m not skilled enough in this area to deliver an end product I’d be happy with

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm

davros wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Good find. I have googled body kits before without much success. My skirts are in poor condition anyway, so think I will butcher them while it’s sorned. If I fail, which may well happen, these will be next months purchase.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

davros

Aero skirt request

Post by davros » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 pm

good luck with this. I’ll be really interested to see how you get on :thumbsup:
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 pm

davros wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 pm good luck with this. I’ll be really interested to see how you get on :thumbsup:
Me too.😁
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 pm

I phoned the guy from madmotors to ask about fitting the skirts they sell and he says they rivet on. I’m not doing that. So I’ve put an ad on here asking for any cheap standard skirts and I’ve looked at a few clips about plastic welding.
I think I could do that. It has to be the same plastic, hence the need for doner skirts. I could buy them off eBay but people want £50 a side plus delivery. I don’t want to pay that for something that may well end up as landfill. I’ll wait and see what response I get from the ad.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

davros

Aero skirt request

Post by davros » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Oh no, that’s bad news with the madmotor skirts. I was really hoping that may be a solution. I guess they must leave the original skirts in situ and just rivet them over the top, which wouldn’t look good.
There is a company in the USA who make FRP copies of the BMW Aero skirts and appear to have all the fitting tabs of the originals. Unfortunately they told me they don’t ship to the UK ☹️
Good luck with the search for some doner skirts. Hopefully some one on the forum may have some old ones taking up valuable space 🤞

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 pm

That’s what I’m hoping. All the shape and profiles are there on the standard skirts. They just need tweaked. :thumbsup:
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Coffee331

Aero skirt request

Post by Coffee331 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm

davros wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm Oh no, that’s bad news with the madmotor skirts. I was really hoping that may be a solution. I guess they must leave the original skirts in situ and just rivet them over the top, which wouldn’t look good.
There is a company in the USA who make FRP copies of the BMW Aero skirts and appear to have all the fitting tabs of the originals. Unfortunately they told me they don’t ship to the UK ☹️
Good luck with the search for some doner skirts. Hopefully some one on the forum may have some old ones taking up valuable space 🤞
I got the same reply from that US company re the shipping. I wonder if we could line up enough people in a group buy would they find a way to ship to the UK?

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Coffee331 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm
davros wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm Oh no, that’s bad news with the madmotor skirts. I was really hoping that may be a solution. I guess they must leave the original skirts in situ and just rivet them over the top, which wouldn’t look good.
I got the same reply from that US company re the shipping. I wonder if we could line up enough people in a group buy would they find a way to ship to the UK?
Was ModeloDrive the company in the states?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

davros

Aero skirt request

Post by davros » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:05 am

Yep 👍, that’s the company.
From the photos on their website they look like a very good copy of the genuine aero skirts.

Sgr74

Aero skirt request

Post by Sgr74 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Plenty of forum members in the US. I wonder if we could appeal to their better nature?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Attilio

Aero skirt request

Post by Attilio » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm Plenty of forum members in the US. I wonder if we could appeal to their better nature?
I would be interested in a group buy for aero skirts (replicas/custom made etc.) :thumbsup:
Count me in!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Attilio

Aero skirt request

Post by Attilio » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 pm

Coffee331 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm
The group buy is a great idea Coffee331 :thumbsup:

I am in!
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive