Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
kunta

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by kunta » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm

Preparing to replace vannos seals There are tips for getting the vannos? i know that there is a problem of space....
And there is not enough room to pull it out
t/you
oren

Deadpool

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by Deadpool » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:05 pm

You'll need to disconnect the lower radiator hose to pull the unit out on pre facelifts - don't think many guides mention that. Take the electric fan out so you have a bit more space.
2.2i Titan Silver | Red E46 Interior| B06 Set | CF Wrapped Interior | Suede Steering Wheel Re-trim | Stubby | Switch Back AE | CF Grills |18" Wolfrace Eurosport Turismo

2.5i Maldives Blue | Z4M Front Bumper

3... :poke:

tomrdy

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by tomrdy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Deadpool mentioned these 2 but I'll drop my 2c on them as well!

Radiator fan: Definitely remove this. Just follow the Pelicanparts guide - very easy to do. It'll be near impossible with it in place just due to space for tools etc.

Lower radiator hose: Remove this as well. This is where the thermostat sensor is. I didn't completely drain my coolant out but it's up to you. I was being lazy.

- Cover everything (and I mean everything) beside and below the hose with plastic.
- Put a container under the car where the coolant will come out
- Pull the sensor out which will then let some coolant out.
- Drain about 1L out (basically the reservoir)
- Cling wrap up and rubber band around the opening of the hoses once coolant stops coming out to stop drips.

Some that haven't been mentioned:

Prying

If you're opting to use the "pry" method to get the VANOS out, this is how I did it (I personally couldn't find solid instructions on this and was most nervous about this).

*Assume at this step the VANOS is "free" and just sitting on the studs*

- Loosen some bolts on the bulk head. I'm actually not 100% sure which are needed to help get some movement. These are the ones I did though:

- Get a bar of some sort (I just used my jack arm).
- Place end onto the middle of the water pump (or whatever you can see with your own judgement that looks strong)
- Pull backwards on your prying tool. The idea here is to just move the front bulkhead a tinnnny bit. As you pry, try to rotate the bottom of the VANOS unit off the screws (it will make sense once you're there). If you have a helper this will be easier but as a solo mission, I would tug on my bar, and with my left hand, try to wriggle the VANOS. Keep doing this until you get the timing right with your levering + wriggling and it should come out.

Tools

Everyone said to make sure you have everything you need (bent nose pliers etc). This is a good tip.

Though I did think I had everything, I really didn't. The lack of space is truly the most frustrating part of this job. I could not really get my torx socket in properly to loosen the reverse threaded nuts, or the allened cylinder cap. I suggest (if you haven't), to invest in a sets of allen keys + torx keys.

On the point of the cylinder caps, you likely won't be able to get a torque wrench on it. I had a bit of a faff (and a thread somewhere on here to get opinions from others on what to do). I ended up just using the allen keys I had bought and put as much on it as I could. I believe Guidok suggested using an allen + a metal pipe to extend it and get more leverage (and work out a force/weight for the torque) but I've not had issues with my less... thought out approach :rofl:

Good luck!
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

kunta

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by kunta » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 am

t/you
good tips!!!!!
oren

MJJamieson

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by MJJamieson » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:28 am

When i did mine i unbolted the right hand engine mount and jacked the engine up, it gave enough room to remove the Vanos unit.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

kunta

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by kunta » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 am

update
The work was done! It was very easy. The Vannos slipped easily without trouble. There was great gap. and seals were completely dry. Just that i had to say that there was no change in the behavior of the vehicle .... ha ha. But it was good that I changed the seals.

Coffee331

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by Coffee331 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm

kunta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 am update
The work was done! It was very easy. The Vannos slipped easily without trouble. There was great gap. and seals were completely dry. Just that i had to say that there was no change in the behavior of the vehicle .... ha ha. But it was good that I changed the seals.
Isn’t it supposed to take a couple of hundred kilometers until everything beds in properly and then you feel the difference?

tomrdy

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by tomrdy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 am

Coffee331 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm Isn’t it supposed to take a couple of hundred kilometers until everything beds in properly and then you feel
Supposedly. I've done mine for a while now and can report my fuel economy has improved. I can't say the car felt particularly better though the occasional idle search I had is completely gone.

Worth doing though just to square up the motor so you know what's new/needs maintenance in future!
Last edited by tomrdy on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

kunta

Z4 2.2 VANNOS SEAL

Post by kunta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am

Coffee331 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm
kunta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 am update
Isn’t it supposed to take a couple of hundred kilometers until everything beds in properly and then you feel the difference?
Hope you're right ... otherwise I just changed for nothing////