Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixing Tyres/Poor Handling

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:28 pm

I disagree that all our cars are different.

I would certainly get the alignment checked if it hasn't been done for some time.

Bear in mind that if you're running standard camber you'll have worn the rear inside of the main belt more than the outside - your old tyres would therefore have a greater effective contact patch perpendicular to the road. Your new tyres by comparison won't be worn so you'll be running marginally more on the inner edge - making it feel more like it tramlines at the moment.

At the end of the day it can only be worn bushes, alignment or tyre pressures. Which is the same combination as with any other zed (electric steering on the si's notwithstanding).

If the tyres are fresh on I'd get some dry seat time, do a tank of fuel getting them properly scrubbed in and take it from there, but alignment would be the next thing on the list if it were me.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

An interesting post on Pistonheads about it, definitely need to get the Supersports off ASAP, the handling is horrible :cry:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (74.58 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:01 pm

That doesn’t make much sense to me. Also... “twitch” at the front and “flop” at the rear, rounded off with an appraisal of how well they lay down chav tracks?! :lol:

Mismatched sidewall profile front-to-rear (and hence, mismatched sidewall stiffness) is a feature of a lot of cars famous for their handling - 600LT, GT3 RS, Ferrari 488, AMG GT-R etc.

I’d experiment with pressures first.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am

wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 pm Mine has been unpleasant since I bought it. I fixed three issues relating to the steering and handling on the front end, as well as having a four wheel alignment, but the front was still nervous on all road types (particularly with changing camber).

I fitted new Toyo Proxes on the rear a few weeks ago but swapped them to the front out of interest...totally different car. The fronts and rears have never been matched on my Z4 in my 10 months of ownership, and they still aren't, but the front tyres were ruining the steering. They had worn with a raised band roughly in the middle of the tread, about 5 mm wide and 1 mm tall, and this band wandered from side to side across the face a little as you rotated the wheel. None of the tyres have been run flats, and all premium brands, but this was my final issue.
Interesting. My PS3's on the front that I binned despite having a good 5mm of tread left had very similar strange wear. The tyres were the source of the tramlining and other issues. I've refreshed everything on the front end and the alignment was fine so I knew in the end it could only be the tyres. I even tried backing the the camber off from maxed out to stock before going to the expense of changing the tyres. I put the strange wear down to the fact that the front end needed a complete overhaul before I did it and the alignment was out from before I got it. I only actually noticed the strange wear once the tyres were off the car and under close inspection.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 am

MACK I'm sure you were kicking yourself as hard as I was when I finally changed the easiest (and arguably most obvious) factor that can affectt steering. I'm also sure you're similarly happy to have a car that holds its line now! :thumbsup: 8)
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 am

wonkydonkey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 am MACK I'm sure you were kicking yourself as hard as I was when I finally changed the easiest (and arguably most obvious) factor that can affectt steering. I'm also sure you're similarly happy to have a car that holds its line now! :thumbsup: 8)

Sure was and sure am!
I can laugh about it now...........just!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 am

When I bought mine it had budget tyres all round and handled fine. I changed the rears for Avons and it was positively dangerous. Now I have put Avons on the front as well it's spot on again....

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:06 pm Two things have become clear since running my Z4 and hanging around the forums, these cars are unusually sensitive to changes in tyres/pressures, suspension/bushes, alignment and wear of course.
2nd, sorting it out based on others experience is hit-and-miss. Few cars are alike now, what with swapping from RFT's, wheel size changes, non-OEM springs and bushes, alignment changes and wear, then it's always proven difficult to do anything other than work through the list of possibles.
It took me ages! Replacing a broken rear spring, saggy bushes, new non-RFT tyres, a Hunter 4-wheel alignment and tyre pressures got rid of 80% of the problem, it took 2 alignments with someone who knew what they were doing and was able to take account of changes (rather than sticking to the computer's specs) to finally sort it.
Your absolutely spot on and I agree, nobody has the same setup or wheels or tyres or amount of wear or even tyre pressures so impossible to say, I do feel that tyres need to bed in before adjusting anything, that said our stupid electric steering is bloody awful and when I do get rid of my z4 it will be for that reason.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am

road warrior wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am
Ewazix wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:06 pm Two things have become clear since running my Z4 and hanging around the forums, these cars are unusually sensitive to changes in tyres/pressures, suspension/bushes, alignment and wear of course.
2nd, sorting it out based on others experience is hit-and-miss. Few cars are alike now, what with swapping from RFT's, wheel size changes, non-OEM springs and bushes, alignment changes and wear, then it's always proven difficult to do anything other than work through the list of possibles.
It took me ages! Replacing a broken rear spring, saggy bushes, new non-RFT tyres, a Hunter 4-wheel alignment and tyre pressures got rid of 80% of the problem, it took 2 alignments with someone who knew what they were doing and was able to take account of changes (rather than sticking to the computer's specs) to finally sort it.
Your absolutely spot on and I agree, nobody has the same setup or wheels or tyres or amount of wear or even tyre pressures so impossible to say, I do feel that tyres need to bed in before adjusting anything, that said our stupid electric steering is bloody awful and when I do get rid of my z4 it will be for that reason.
Worth trying the steering in a M, significantly different
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54