Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers Door Latch

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
justanotherz4

Drivers Door Latch

Post by justanotherz4 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello,
Just bought my first (super budget) z4, and its got plenty of problems.
The drivers door latch isnt releasing, so i cant open it from inside or outside. The lock seems to do up and down.
Any one else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Cheers,

justanotherz4

Drivers Door Latch

Post by justanotherz4 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm

im not that handy, so if its tough....any one know where I can get it fixed on quite a low budget? Im in London

Cheers,

parabolica

Drivers Door Latch

Post by parabolica » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:52 pm

Well... you're not going to want to hear this but my driver's door did the same a month after purchase a year ago; the latch had seized shut. Initially thought it was the bowden cable issue, but that would usually mean you can still open from inside the car. Took it to an indy and he confirmed it was the latch. He had to drill out the latch from inside the car (no easy feat when you can hardly get the inner door card off when the door is shut).

He managed to do it, replace the latch and put everything back together. I dare not look under the door card to see what he had to do. If you're in London, I highly recommend Adrian at Gilberts for BMW in Gunnersbury/Ealing (W5 4HB); he's a great guy and knows his stuff.

Keep your latches greased!

ETA you might get lucky and it'll be a slipped cable which is an easier fix, but still requires dismantling the door. Would definitely recommend getting an indy to look at it.

justanotherz4

Drivers Door Latch

Post by justanotherz4 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello,
I just had this fixed by Adrian by installing a new lock mechanism, and he said it failed straight away again (before its been returned to me).

He currently doesn't know if this is a second faulty lock or a electrical protection mechanism...any one else experienced this?

Cheers,

justanotherz4

Drivers Door Latch

Post by justanotherz4 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:01 am

Quick update.....it was a faulty replacement lock...very low probability but there we go. Has been replaced again.