Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Liam's Z4C race car project

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:35 am

1536Z4 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:29 am
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:21 am Can't imagine how hot it must have been in there
He needed some more fans :heat: :rofl:
That is a terrible pun!
Right up my street. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:35 am That is a terrible pun!
I can`t help myself sometimes I really should try and act my age but that wouldn`t be me :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks for all the support!

And Martin, real shame that they didn't allow spectators into the paddock. First time I had seen that happen.

The race was one of the toughest I've ever done. Insanely hot inside the car. Well over 40⁰ I would think.

Qualified P3 in class but could tell the old tyres (same ones all year) were past their best and did not like the hot track.

Went backwards in the race. Annoyingly lost a position to a fluffed gear change but made the first 25 minutes vert interesting. A few close shaves, with 2 cars deciding to spin right in front of me. Also had to take 20s of "success penalty" pit stop time for accumulated wins. Ended up P7, but P5 was probably the best I could have managed.

The brake problem I had last year came back. Was managing a long/soft pedal for the entire race. Will need to look at that again before the next one.

Should have some video up later this week.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:41 am

Hi Liam, shame everything added up against you.
I suppose by penalising previous success they keep it interesting and ensure you do all the rounds?
A couple of time we 'experts' just past the bridge did think you'd missed the apex so I guess the end of that big old straight is not the time to discover you have no pedal!
Looking forward to seeing the video, just in case we got into the edge of it. :roll:

Are you doing the round there in October? Will definitely try to meet up then if you are.

It was a good excuse for a day out and we got to meet Stuart for the first time so in a way it was a success for us.

They only let us into the bottom end, over the bridge and turn left. Only media etc allowed up on the banking so the best vantage points for all the infield were out of sight.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:41 am Only media etc allowed up on the banking so the best vantage points
Will have to get some high vis vests done with " Official Crilly Photographer " on the back :D
Last edited by 1536Z4 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 am

Chopped down the video last night.

https://youtu.be/7v9wc0tHJk4

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 am

Nice one Liam. Can see how much trouble you were having, but on a circuit I know quite well it is evident just how well that car corners.
Didn't miss the yellow Lotus by much! Was that what they SC'd it for?

Oh and thanks for cutting it down to show the bridge so many times, but sadly I still couldn't honestly see which blur was me :roll:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am

Amazing to see how hard you have to battle and the run down the straight to the bridge

Great montage!

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am

bigwinn wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am Amazing to see how hard you have to battle and the run down the straight to the bridge

Great montage!
Indeed! From the bridge to the Bombhole looks slow and easy from the sidelines. It obviously ain't!

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 am

Thanks for putting the video up . Some very close moments . Hope you get the brakes sorted as that must have been a real pain .

Any thoughts on what new tyres you are going to go for ?

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 am Didn't miss the yellow Lotus by much! Was that what they SC'd it for?
Yes, it must have broken a rear hub or rear toe link when it left the track as one of the rear wheels was showing "extreme camber" the next time I saw it. In hindsight I should have waited to see if the car had recovered or was stranded before pitting. Although it didn't cost me any positions, I could have had a cheaper pit stop if I had waited another lap. At the time there was less than 4 minutes of pit window remaining and (unusually) I didn't want to cut it too fine.
1536Z4 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 am Any thoughts on what new tyres you are going to go for ?
I'll get another set of Nangkang AR-1. They only seem to cope with 6-7 heat cycles, but that'll see me through the rest of the season.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for posting that video Liam - I really enjoyed watching it. :thumbsup:

Shame how it worked out, but thankfully you managed to avoid other people's errors!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:08 am

Great vid mate, I really enjoyed that. :thumbsup:

I am starting to wonder about the abs, weather to keep it, or just to give it away..

Car looks to be pretty well sorted now Liam, great job on that mate, and looks like your having a lot of fun. I can't wait for temps to come below 40 here so we can get started on getting ours sorted.
Cheers again, and thanks for the shotgun on the way around. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3