Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Purchase

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Vijay

Valuation Help for Potential Purchase

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Out of interest has the water pump been replaced?
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:09 pm

No record of water pump change, and not to go off topic but I thought that was something that doesn't need doing until 80k+ miles.

Vijay

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:21 pm

They are susceptible to earlier failure...
Mineral White M240i

Capa

Post by Capa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

For that money I'd want it done. I'd argue age rather than mileage.
E86 | Stratus Grey

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Think I'm going nuts, been living on this forum now for weeks and dont even own a Z4 yet :)
My sensible head is telling me to just wait, as theres no rush the right car will come along, but I'm sure we've all been there when your just itching to get something.

Anyhow I noticed this Ebay car come up on another thread, which I think I'm gonna go and view this week.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Coupe ... :rk:4:pf:1

I've spoken with the owner and its sounds like a good genuine one, hes fixed things when they've needed doing.

Spoke with the garage thats done the last two services and they say hes very OCD with his cars.

The Pro's are its a Grey, good options and from the walk around Video he sent me, seems tidy. Has long MOT, recent Insp 2 service and newish Tyres.

The Con's well its at 81k, not the sub 60k I was after, and hes the 7th owner. No evidence of water pump, 108's could do with a refurb.

So my question is, Is this the car with this mileage, owners to be the one to cherish as the long term keeper, and have parked next to the Corrado. (Which I've decided to keep).

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:22 pm

QUIKSTER wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:13 pm Think I'm going nuts, been living on this forum now for weeks and dont even own a Z4 yet :)
My sensible head is telling me to just wait, as theres no rush the right car will come along, but I'm sure we've all been there when your just itching to get something.

Anyhow I noticed this Ebay car come up on another thread, which I think I'm gonna go and view this week.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Coupe ... :rk:4:pf:1

I've spoken with the owner and its sounds like a good genuine one, hes fixed things when they've needed doing.

Spoke with the garage thats done the last two services and they say hes very OCD with his cars.

The Pro's are its a Grey, good options and from the walk around Video he sent me, seems tidy. Has long MOT, recent Insp 2 service and newish Tyres.

The Con's well its at 81k, not the sub 60k I was after, and hes the 7th owner. No evidence of water pump, 108's could do with a refurb.

So my question is, Is this the car with this mileage, owners to be the one to cherish as the long term keeper, and have parked next to the Corrado. (Which I've decided to keep).
You can look forever , highly unlikely one will come along that fulfills all your wants & i really don't get why folks are so hung up on the waterpump thing as if its a walkaway issue without it being done :? , yea they go but then so do starter motors & clutches .
You will wait a good while i suspect before you see a spec like in the above grey one , with a sub £8k ask with just 81k covered ( your 60k quest would need another £2k/£3k to fund & may be no better in condition or history )
Ok so you might need to spend a few £ on wheel refurb (or fresh wheels ) get it bought & start enjoying it :driving:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 pm

My water pump just failed :headbang:
101K, so almost a cliché! New pump and thermostat was £300 and will fit myself. Realistically the pump is the equivelant cost to a quality set of rear tyres.

If you like the car, the price is right, it looks like it has been looked after and with no obvious issues, go for it. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm feelin ya Mr Wilks, but is a 80k miler, 7 owner car the right car to start a long term life ownership with, as this tends the spec of car people get out there system after 12,18 months then flip. Probably the reason why its got 7 owners now.

Either way I'll go and view it and if drives tight, looks straight and I like the colour then I'm driving back in it.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 pm

The grey one looks like the one to go for- you are trying to convince yourself to like the black one- not a way to start long term ownership.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:18 am

My 1st Z4C (56 plate) had 3 previous owners when I bought it in 2014.

The 1st was the dealership (it was a pre-reg) the next was apparently a retired gent who stopped using it as he struggled to get in or out of it then the guy I bought it from had just got a dog, so then it didn't work for him either!

My current one (also 56 plate) has had 5 previous keepers, but they just seem to be that sort of car. Mostly a weekend toy, but when house purchases/renovations or kids come along they get sold to release some money or because they aren't suitable.

I wouldn't get too hung up over water pumps - my 1st Z4C needed a new one at just 60K miles and 10 years. I've no idea about my current E86, but it is what it is. :lol:

Last year I bought an E91 325i with the same N52 engine that had full main agent history (including bulb changes and fluid top-ups) that got to 12 years old and 135K miles on the original pump - which then died 6 months after I bought it. :lol:

If it's had one that's great, but if it hasn't just budget for one. But don't buy it from BMW as they charge over £500 for them. :o You can get the same Pierburg pump for less than £300 in various places.

So it looks like the N52 engine can do serious mileages as my E91 325i is now on 138K, and my E86 will have 90K the next time I use it.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 am

7 owners on that grey one :o that's insane. I suppose it's the sort of car that people buy an then maybe realise they're either too fat to fit in or have to sell after having kids.

I do like the look of the grey coupe, and I have been looking at it all weekend, but not sure I could get over the fact it's had 7 different owners already.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 am

What's the issue with 7 previous owners? So long as it has good history why should that be an issue?

In my first 20 years of car ownership I never kept any of them for more than 2 years - there was always something else I wanted. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vijay

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Out of interest Quickster, did the chap come back to on the £10k offer?....
Mineral White M240i

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:37 am What's the issue with 7 previous owners? So long as it has good history why should that be an issue?

In my first 20 years of car ownership I never kept any of them for more than 2 years - there was always something else I wanted. :lol:
I think it's a generation thing, as my dad was always of the view that the less owners a car has, the better buy it is, for some reason :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I think I'm destined to buy one, just had a guy pull up next to me in a Montego Blue Coupe 5 mins from my house.

Pulled the window and said I might be an owner of one of them tomorrow.