Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What’s the lowest, furthest-back seat i can install in my e85/6?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am

Has anyone done this? How well did they fit?

Also, is it the case that the e85/6 has the same chassis seat mount spacing as the e46? I am thinking about trying an all-in-one side mount for e46, like this: https://www.driftworks.com/driftworks-b ... -rail.html. Anyone tried these in a Z?
Last edited by ionofchios on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Bimarco Futura in e85/6?

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 am

My first recommendation would be to try the seat before you buy it - both by physically sitting in it to make sure your comfortable, and to see if it will even fit in the car. Some seats (even expensive ones) look great, but only fit a specific body shape - much like a helmet fitting.

I love the look of a set of Cobra seats I saw in an e46, but they were too tight on the hips and too loose on the torso, I even toyed with a set of Tillets, but didn't think they'd be particularly good for a 500 mile commute each week, or the 700 mile each-way trip to the Ring.

You'll need to check the height & width of the seats as the Z4 cockpit isn't as spacious as an E46 and most seats are a very tight fit - especially where the 'ears' meet the door or B-pillar.

IIRC, I had to by specific Z4/e92 floor mounts (maybe the floor mounting points are offset compared to e46/e36?) - but the rest were the same Recaro part numbers for mine.

My Pole Position ABE are 580mm wide at the ears (which catch on the door), is 850mm high, and has a 430mm wide seat:
Recaro PP/Furious
Recaro PP/Furious
2019-02-20_08-54-54.png (291.42 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
The Bimarco Futura seem to be wider (595mm), taller (940mm), but have a narrower seat (400mm):

Without all the mounting gear (floor mounts, sliders, seat-belt rail), the extra height might not be a problem, but in the Z4 world every seat fitting is an experiment as most have never been tried before (part of the reason I went for the Pole Position ABE, as I've seen it in a couple of Z4s).

This is the 'extra' kit I installed in mine to make it useable:
Fitting hardware
Fitting hardware
IMG_1834.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1623 times
As you can see, I've got mine as far inboard as the floor mounts will allow (an adjustment that these floor mounts allow, but your's can't), and it still hits the door - but I can't go any further inboard as it's already hard up against the transmission tunnel:
Floor mounts
Floor mounts
IMG_1494.jpg (247.61 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Are you planning on using just harnesses, or have you worked out a way to mount your seatbelt & pre-tensioner to these?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ionofchios

Bimarco Futura in e85/6?

Post by ionofchios » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply!

So, if I am really lucky, i will get the outside of the seat 10 mm closer to the centre tunnel than yours, and given that my ears stick out 7.5 mm more than yours on each side, it might just about fit, width-wise.

Height-wise, will also be very tight, at best.

Now I see why people dont do this.

Was planning on using exisitng belt, somehow.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Bimarco Futura in e85/6?

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:47 pm

ionofchios wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm So, if I am really lucky, i will get the outside of the seat 10 mm closer to the centre tunnel than yours, and given that my ears stick out 7.5 mm more than yours on each side, it might just about fit, width-wise.
In theory, yes, and also if the mounts give you enough adjustment to move them over 10mm - which I don't see how they can, as they're fixed position holes.

But the seat doesn't take long to remove, so it's probably best to do a test fitting (for both the seat in the car, and you in the seat) somewhere before buying them.
Trigger’s Z4MC

ionofchios

Bimarco Futura in e85/6?

Post by ionofchios » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Ok, looks like the Futura will not fit.

Gonna change my question: whats the best seat if I want to get my arse as low down and far back as possible? I’m 6’4” with 36” waist. I’m thinking that a side-mount bucket will yeild the lowest mounting option, since the underside of the seat can pretty much be on the carpet, but I want to be able to get in and out of it, so i dont want the sides too high. Also, i want to use the factiry 3-point belt, so the seat does not need to have harness holes that fit me.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Tilletts are probably the lowest you'll find.

You'll still have to probably fit floor mounts to adapt them to the Z4's mounting holes, and seatbelt mounting points - although the low cut sides would make using a normal seatbelt easier, and getting in/out easier (assuming they're not so low that the door sill becomes the issue).

Tillett B5 with optional cushions - about £800 though:

Tillett B5 in Honda S2000, with custom side to floor mounts (probably about as low as you could go) - and using normal belts:
Trigger’s Z4MC

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Which seats do you have now?
I'm 6'5" with 36" inch waist and I found the sports seats less comfortable than the standard ones. I know from comments on here that this is an unusual standpoint and I can only assume it's a height thing.
I do have the roof down 95% of the time but it is my daily drive. Come winter I have to remind myself to just live with my hair brushing the roof rather than squishing down slightly which quickly becomes uncomfortable.
Considered bucket seats etc but decided that actually I'm better off with the movement offered by standard seats so I can adjust on longer journeys.
Generally though with roof up I found the most comfortable for me is with the seat base all the way up at the front, down at the rear and as far forward as knee room allows (my left knee just touches the dash). Then recline until it squeeks then back of a touch.
Having said all that I'll be interested to see which way you go and how it works out though.
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am

mmm-five wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 pm Tilletts are probably the lowest you'll find.

You'll still have to probably fit floor mounts to adapt them to the Z4's mounting holes, and seatbelt mounting points - although the low cut sides would make using a normal seatbelt easier, and getting in/out easier (assuming they're not so low that the door sill becomes the issue).

Tillett B5 with optional cushions - about £800 though:

Tillett B5 in Honda S2000, with custom side to floor mounts (probably about as low as you could go) - and using normal belts:
Thanks! Never seen them before. Dont look all that comfortable, but defintaley low, and the sides seem low as well, so easy to get in and out. I’ll definitely consider them. I would get them with the cushions,

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 am

Jamie25 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm Which seats do you have now?
I'm 6'5" with 36" inch waist and I found the sports seats less comfortable than the standard ones. I know from comments on here that this is an unusual standpoint and I can only assume it's a height thing.
I do have the roof down 95% of the time but it is my daily drive. Come winter I have to remind myself to just live with my hair brushing the roof rather than squishing down slightly which quickly becomes uncomfortable.
Considered bucket seats etc but decided that actually I'm better off with the movement offered by standard seats so I can adjust on longer journeys.
Generally though with roof up I found the most comfortable for me is with the seat base all the way up at the front, down at the rear and as far forward as knee room allows (my left knee just touches the dash). Then recline until it squeeks then back of a touch.
Having said all that I'll be interested to see which way you go and how it works out though.
I have the manual standard seats. I like them, and find them quite comfortable. I don’t have as much adjustment as you though, and i can’t change the height of front and back independently. I have them as far back and down as possible, then recline until squeak. The seat is back as far as the stops on the rails, and it looks like there would be room for it to go back further, if I moved the rails back or something, at expense of recline.

My objective is to get a bit lower, so that my line of sight is better and not so high up the screen, and a bit further back, so my legs can be a bit straighter. I think an inch in both directions would be quite noticable.

I have the coupe, btw.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 am

ionofchios wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 am
I have the manual standard seats. I like them, and find them quite comfortable. I don’t have as much adjustment as you though, and i can’t change the height of front and back independently. I have them as far back and down as possible, then recline until squeak. The seat is back as far as the stops on the rails, and it looks like there would be room for it to go back further, if I moved the rails back or something, at expense of recline.

My objective is to get a bit lower, so that my line of sight is better and not so high up the screen, and a bit further back, so my legs can be a bit straighter. I think an inch in both directions would be quite noticable.

I have the coupe, btw.
Have you tried the Sports seats. Like many I find them very comfortable and they do a reasonable job of holding your upper body in place, without squashing you in, like some bucket seats can, I'm 6'4" . I have the seat right back on he stops, then reclined. The fact you can then raise and extend the front lip of the seat, makes a world of difference for me. They support the back of your thighs so much better, which for me means I am still comfortable after driving several hundred miles, with nothing more than a fuel stop. :)

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 am

I have the coupe, btw.
Have you tried the Sports seats. Like many I find them very comfortable and they do a reasonable job of holding your upper body in place, without squashing you in, like some bucket seats can, I'm 6'4" . I have the seat right back on he stops, then reclined. The fact you can then raise and extend the front lip of the seat, makes a world of difference for me. They support the back of your thighs so much better, which for me means I am still comfortable after driving several hundred miles, with nothing more than a fuel stop. :)
Nope, never tried them. Where I am, not that easy to try anything really:) If i want sports seats, I’d have to probably buy them sight unseen and would therefore need to be pretty sure, since i guess they are not cheap. That would mean inwoul need to know I would gain some head or legroom compared to standard seats.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am

ionofchios wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 am
buzyg wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 am

I have the coupe, btw.
Nope, never tried them. Where I am, not that easy to try anything really:) If i want sports seats, I’d have to probably buy them sight unseen and would therefore need to be pretty sure, since i guess they are not cheap. That would mean inwoul need to know I would gain some head or legroom compared to standard seats.
Might well be a forum member near you, with Sports seats. Who is happy to let you have a stretch in their Zed. Where abouts are you based?
Last edited by buzyg on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

agrimes1989

Post by agrimes1989 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 am

Perks of being under 6ft :lol:
A4612FD1-2C0F-4090-AEB0-D3EE8FF98B63.jpeg
A4612FD1-2C0F-4090-AEB0-D3EE8FF98B63.jpeg (436.59 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
3F30D8ED-FADC-4EBD-8707-9200E7F39B86.jpeg
3F30D8ED-FADC-4EBD-8707-9200E7F39B86.jpeg (342.1 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Bagged E85 Z4 3.0i
E90 330d 🚀

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:12 am

You and I are pretty similar heights. I've found with my sports seats, that being laid back more, with the base forward a bit allows more room overall, without my knees being at a bad angle.

ionofchios

Post by ionofchios » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:36 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am
Might well be a forum member near you, with Sports seats. Who is happy to let you have a stretch in their Zed. Where abouts are you based?
Im in Finland, so guess that chance is a bit slim😊