Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bought a gismo

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 pm

I have bought a gizmo that piggybacks into the back of the professional radio and gives me usb and phono. That's all fine, but how do I thread it through the trim to sit in the passenger footwell? What's involved, don't want to take the dash out or any old nonsense like that. So...?
Any sparky type people near me in Burton?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Doddsy

Bought a gismo

Post by Doddsy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:14 am

Can you not mount it in the access panel under the heater controls?
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

tomrdy

Bought a gismo

Post by tomrdy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am

You definitely can thread a line through - I've thread all sorts of lines around the interior/exterior to hook up my dashcam, angel eyes etc.

You do need to remove a piece of trim but it's really easy.

If you remove the under panel in the passenger footwell (2 or 3 philips screws beneath the glove box), and also drop the inside part of the glovebox (as if you were wanting to get access to the fuse box), you'll be able to grab a flash light and shine a light through.

With the flashlight shining through, you can then look through from the other end for glimpses of your light (meaning theres a hole) and with lots of wriggling and cut skin (maybe), get your wire to where there's a hole (like you're trapped in a cave and you SEE THE LIGHT!!! FREEDOMMM!).
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

Jl-c

Bought a gismo

Post by Jl-c » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 am

I’ve run cables through mine without too much hassle, as above. I’m not a million miles from Burton if you need assistance though once you go for it I don’t think you should.
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks for that chaps, been meaning to sort this, but now I have my big boy exhaust I keep finding I keep turning the music down to hear the exhaust, and a small wallet deviation to an mot failure and headlights meant it kept being put on the back burner.
Speaking of my exhaust mod which I'm very happy with, I had the fortune/misfortune to find myself following a howling Audi TT on Sunday that made Steve sound like a poof with a handbag. Ahh well :headbang:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 am

Speaking of mot work, I had an advisory for the 2 brake pipes that run to the back wheels each side, I was told 200 quid, for 4 brake pipes that sounds ok, your thoughts?

Jl-c

Bought a gismo

Post by Jl-c » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 am

Allowing for labour at around £50/hr I guess that is not too far off. A hit I know but if you ask them to run it in cunifer
( I think that is spelled correctly! ) then they will never rot again, unlike the crappy steel ones, coated or not!
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Dave 2 dogs

Bought a gismo

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 am

Road warrior.... why are you even turning the radio on ? With the new sexy exhaust, all music should be banned ??? :poke:
Seriously though, what box did you go for roadie?

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 pm

by box you mean exhaust box im guessing, ironically its a dlv from a 2.5, which im very happy with, and yes. i turn the radio off mostly :driving: i do notice a drop in power in the lower revs due to the drop in back pressure which benefits the higher revs which i rarely go near due to its driving life with me.. but im very happy with the burble snarl and popping, i may never grow up now, even if it was unlikely before its even less doubtful now :rofl:

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Jl-c wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 am Allowing for labour at around £50/hr I guess that is not too far off. A hit I know but if you ask them to run it in cunifer
( I think that is spelled correctly! ) then they will never rot again, unlike the crappy steel ones, coated or not!
what the hell is cunifer ?

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Jl-c wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 am Allowing for labour at around £50/hr I guess that is not too far off. A hit I know but if you ask them to run it in cunifer
what the hell is cunifer ?

road warrior

Bought a gismo

Post by road warrior » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:43 pm

ok found it, its kunifer :D

Jl-c

Bought a gismo

Post by Jl-c » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Hey, I did say I wasn’t sure of the spelling :wink: Kind of assumed as it has copper in it, it would start with a C !

Jl-c

Bought a gismo

Post by Jl-c » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:03 pm

http://www.brakeconnect.com/cunifer-brake-line
they spell it with a c but hey, I don't know? :google:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Bought a gismo

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm

I believe dlv charges 175 for copper brake lines :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D