Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Condensation and Roof struggle

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi All.

Yesterday I bought a manual 2004 3.0 E85 Roadster. 60k Miles, Heated electric memory seats, 12 months MOT. £4k!!!!
Talk about a steal! Just in time for summer.

Overall the car is in great condition (alloy wheels exluded), although there are two main issues.

The electric roof needs a helping hand when opening for 10 inches or so, then it works as usual.
What would be the cause of this, and how could I sort it? Planning on getting the motor relocated into the boot anyway.

Also the passenger headlight has pretty bad condensation inside. I'm assuming the seal is knackered. Am I best off drying it out and then replacing the rear cover and seal?

The airbag light is on however at last MOT it was said to be a fault with the light itself rather than the airbag.

Is there a specific tyre that comes reccomended with these? It currently has run-flats and they're awful.

I'll get some pics up in the newbie forum soon.

Cheers!

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

cant help with the roof, but with the condensation issue in the headlight, take the rear cover off, dry it out completely with a hair dryer and buy a new cover and seal, as I gather BMW oem now has a upgraded seal for this problem
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

MalNCH

Post by MalNCH » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm cant help with the roof, but with the condensation issue in the headlight, take the rear cover off, dry it out completely with a hair dryer and buy a new cover and seal, as I gather BMW oem now has a upgraded seal for this problem
As stated but put some silicone grease round the seal of the cover, not only does it help keep any water out it keeps the seal from deteriorating.
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

Azahayes

Post by Azahayes » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 pm

I have the same issue, attempting to fix this weekend!

Anyone have a link for the covers? Or would you try the old one with silicone first?

Thanks in advance!