Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lowering standard seats?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ionofchios

Lowering standard seats?

Post by ionofchios » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm

I’m 6’4 and have standard manual seats in my 2006 e86. I want to move the driver’s seat down and back. Has anyone tried removing the standard runners and brackets and whatever else is under there, and replacing with fixed, maybe custom, brackets? I’m not bothered about having the seat in a fixed position. Can you get more leg and/or headroom?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Lowering standard seats?

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 pm

It can be done, but you'd be lucky to gain an inch, as you're going to have to have some sort of base/bracket to mount them, and will have to access the mounting bolts somehow.

Be careful about making it a 'fixed' seat, as some MOT testers interpret the rules strictly, and will fail it.
2019-02-15_16-27-34.png
2019-02-15_16-27-34.png (145.81 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ionofchios

Lowering standard seats?

Post by ionofchios » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks. I think I’d be happy with an inch, especially height-wise. I might try taking passenger seat out, just to see what’s under there and try and work out what the bracket would need to be like.

mjennings23

Lowering standard seats?

Post by mjennings23 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am

MOT testers also can't fail the car on something that isn't fitted. If the seats are installed as fixed with no ability to move them, technically this doesn't break any regulations as there is no runners to not work.

For instance, you'd never have your MOT failed because you've installed fixed bucket seats. It is probably something to point out to a tester though, make it clear the seats are not on runners but fixed directly to the floor.

ionofchios

Lowering standard seats?

Post by ionofchios » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:08 am

I’m in finland - never seen MOT guy check a seat over here.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Lowering standard seats?

Post by mmm-five » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 am

mjennings23 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am MOT testers also can't fail the car on something that isn't fitted.
Are you sure? What about a cat, or DPF, or xenon headlight washers, or windscreen wipers, bonnet, or etc.?
mjennings23 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 amIf the seats are installed as fixed with no ability to move them, technically this doesn't break any regulations as there is no runners to not work.

For instance, you'd never have your MOT failed because you've installed fixed bucket seats. It is probably something to point out to a tester though, make it clear the seats are not on runners but fixed directly to the floor.
My tester knows my bucket seats slide as he can't get into them sliding it all the way back :P

But if it looks like a standard car seat, with buttons/switches for adjustment, and it doesn't work, then that may fall under the 'doesn't work as intended' description.

As I said, it depends on the tester's interpretation, and whether they got any the night before :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mjennings23

Lowering standard seats?

Post by mjennings23 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am

mmm-five wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 amAre you sure? What about a cat, or DPF, or xenon headlight washers, or windscreen wipers, bonnet, or etc.?
Okay, so not quite so literal! If something is obviously missing i.e. a bonnet, thats a safety issue so of course its a fail. Headlamp washers, well arguably the tester has no way to PROVE the lights are xenon unless there's a visible ballast and wiring, so no washers isn't an issue. Washers fitted and not working is an issue.

A Cat is a legal requirement on a road car, so of course that missing is an issue. A DPF is a legal requirement on all Euro4 or newer diesels so again, an issue.

Seat runners are not a requirement. If they've been removed they are not a fail. If they're fitted and don't work, its a fail. If the OP were to completely remove the runners then its fine, regardless of there being a lever. Of course this is something you'd probably mention specifically to the tester so they don't just assume its broke.