Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cdv removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
chuckmiester

Cdv removal

Post by chuckmiester » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:39 pm

I thought I’d read that somewhere as well. Surely if you just clamp the hose the only thing you’ll do is stop fluid leaking out. Your still going to get air in the system. I might have a go at it tomorrow seing as the weather is so good.
Digging deep and tipping high
2017 Range Rover velar
2003 Porsche Carrera C4s
2004 3.0 z4 merlot red/cream leather

synthedup

Cdv removal

Post by synthedup » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Marlon wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:25 pm Where are all the forum members who delete CDVs in 5 mins by clamping the hose without bleeding the clutch and never had an issue? This was the de-facto method IIRC, I'm sure I didn't imagine it :? :D
I did mine last weekend, clamped the pipe, 5 minute job and no bleeding after

wonkydonkey

Cdv removal

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:55 pm

synthedup wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:40 pmI did mine last weekend, clamped the pipe, 5 minute job and no bleeding after
Same here. Did mine today. 5 minutes, no bleeding, no problem :driving:
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Cdv removal

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Would any of you clamp a brake line, remove the brake hose, put it back on again and not bleed the system?
Why wouldnt you do the same for the clutch?
Unless I am missing something there is a chance air could get in to the system so should be bled out.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

wonkydonkey

Cdv removal

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 pm Would any of you clamp a brake line, remove the brake hose, put it back on again and not bleed the system?
Why wouldnt you do the same for the clutch?
Unless I am missing something there is a chance air could get in to the system so should be bled out.
I definitely wouldn't with brakes, but as they impact safety, they're a very different case. The CDV seems to be at pretty much the lowest point of the clutch hydraulic circuit, so I wouldn't be surprised if any air made its way back up to the reservoir, hence nobody having issues. Clutch actuation is a very different process to brake pressure modulation, which probably explains why people haven't noticed a problem following CDV removal.
Previous:

<My name is James>

Jakg

Cdv removal

Post by Jakg » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm sure you *could* get away without bleeding it... but I wouldn't (and didn't) risk it. Especially when brake fluid needs replacing anyway.

I think the CDV-delete hoses are better (they are braided for a start) but I doubt they make any actual performance difference.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Cdv removal

Post by john-e89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 am

Even though you clamp the pipe some fluid leaks after the clamp which is replaced by air. It’s a bit fiddly in access terms but so easy to bleed it’s not worth not doing it imo. I bled mine, IIRC 8mm small ratchet spanner is the easiest. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

wonkydonkey

Cdv removal

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 am

I'll be doing a full fluid change before too long so I'll bleed the clutch as part of that. I drove for an hour after removing the CDV and didn't have a problem. The decision not to bleed it was more out of interest than anything, following what people on here had said :D
Previous:

<My name is James>

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Cdv removal

Post by GuidoK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 am

Marlon wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:25 pm Where are all the forum members who delete CDVs in 5 mins by clamping the hose without bleeding the clutch and never had an issue? This was the de-facto method IIRC, I'm sure I didn't imagine it :? :D
Bleeding the clutch: 30 sec. job (literally have the second person push and hold the pedal, and opening/closing a screw)
Replacing a clutch that has worn out too soon: 5 hours job...

If you had done this job yourself you would have noticed that its impossible to open up the system without any leakage.
When you clamp off the hose, thats impossible to do at the very end, and the hard line on the other side also looses a drop or too.
Every drop you loose is replaced by air in this case, and the slave cylinder isnt self-bleeding (only the master cylinder is I think....)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch