Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pirelli Cinturato P7

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
stupot1

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by stupot1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am

Another tyre question
Has anyone tried the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyre
Rating
Weather A
Fuel A
Noise 72
Plus 3 eco impact icons on the sidewall , energy efficient, high mileage and clean air
Very good reviews
£91 for the 225
I need 2 fronts in the next few weeks..
Any good....?
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

road warrior

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by road warrior » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am

Not the the best not the worst,
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 am

The ones with the better 'eco' & fuel ratings tend to be those with the least rolling resistance - less resistance = less wear = less fuel used.

So if you want a tyre that lasts a long time (although what do you consider high mileage?), is a bit noisy and gives you 1 or 2mpg better, and you don't need the last word in grip (i.e. for track days or hooning) then go for it.

---

Bit of further info around the new tests though, as each manufacturer grades their own tyres within their own range. There are however, ranges that they're supposed to stick to, so a manufacturer might change a compound/pattern slightly if their tyre is on the cusp of a better rating, but only if it doesn't affect performance in another category.

...and there are plans to change the label this/next year :P

Wet Braking/Grip (not wet weather, so it may stop well or be resistant to aquaplaning at 40mph, but not turn well in the wet)
3m per level increase when braking from 50mph to 12mph
can't find any info on what scores are provided by the 2nd part of the test (wet grip)

Tyre with an A-grade stop in 40m, vs a tyre with F-grade stopping in 55m - quite a big difference (it's measured up to G, but it's illegal to sell a G-rated one)

Fuel Efficiency
1.25% fuel use increase per level

Assume a tyre is supposed to last 40,000 miles, the difference between a A grade and a G grade is about 80 litres over the full life of the tyre may be 1 litre saving every 500 miles (about £1.30 per fill), but the difference between an A grade and B grade may only be 1 litre saving every 2500 miles (£0.25) per fill up).

Also, don't forget that this is only relevant with a specific manufacture, so an B-rated tyre from Pirelli may give better fuel economy over an A-rated one from Michelin. But that information is never shared as it's commercially-sensitive.

External Tyre Noise
3dB per level increase above the 'future European mandatory limit'

dB shown is measured from 7.5m away at 50mph, and the black bars show how many steps above the future noise limit they are - sometimes lower rolling resistance tyres are quieter.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

stupot1

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by stupot1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 am The ones with the better 'eco' & fuel ratings tend to be those with the least rolling resistance - less resistance = less wear = less fuel used.

So if you want a tyre that lasts a long time (although what do you consider high mileage?), is a bit noisy and gives you 1 or 2mpg better, and you don't need the last word in grip (i.e. for track days or hooning) then go for it.

---

Bit of further info around the new tests though, as each manufacturer grades their own tyres within their own range. There are however, ranges that they're supposed to stick to, so a manufacturer might change a compound/pattern slightly if their tyre is on the cusp of a better rating, but only if it doesn't affect performance in another category.

...and there are plans to change the label this/next year :P

Wet Braking/Grip (not wet weather, so it may stop well or be resistant to aquaplaning at 40mph, but not turn well in the wet)
3m per level increase when braking from 50mph to 12mph
can't find any info on what scores are provided by the 2nd part of the test (wet grip)

Tyre with an A-grade stop in 40m, vs a tyre with F-grade stopping in 55m - quite a big difference (it's measured up to G, but it's illegal to sell a G-rated one)

Fuel Efficiency
1.25% fuel use increase per level

Assume a tyre is supposed to last 40,000 miles, the difference between a A grade and a G grade is about 80 litres over the full life of the tyre may be 1 litre saving every 500 miles (about £1.30 per fill), but the difference between an A grade and B grade may only be 1 litre saving every 2500 miles (£0.25) per fill up).

Also, don't forget that this is only relevant with a specific manufacture, so an B-rated tyre from Pirelli may give better fuel economy over an A-rated one from Michelin. But that information is never shared as it's commercially-sensitive.

External Tyre Noise
3dB per level increase above the 'future European mandatory limit'

dB shown is measured from 7.5m away at 50mph, and the black bars show how many steps above the future noise limit they are - sometimes lower rolling resistance tyres are quieter.
Excellent info
Cheers for that

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 pm

I ran 4 sets of Pirelli run-flats on my 1 Series and never had an issue with them (205/50 x 17s).

Now I've got Pirelli P Zero run-flats as my summer tyres for my E91 in 225/45 x 17 size and I'm very happy with them. I got 2 last year for £205.

They're way better than the Bridgestone RFTs on my Z4. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by mr wilks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 pm

I had a set a few years back & thought they were woeful :cry: 19s on a 23i E89 the first sight of a damp bend the car was all over the place :cry: classed as a "eco performance " tyre i think , maybe good as a all rounder on a Honda Jazz just not suitable for a rwd sports car was my parting thought , to summarise " would never buy again " :oops:
Just fit Pirelli Pzero to current 18s on Si coupe , seem more than ok , id pay a little more OP :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

stupot1

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by stupot1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

From the info above, I'm binning the Cinturato idea and I'll look for something else
Thanks for the information.

road warrior

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by road warrior » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Take a look at the auto express 2018 summer tyres review
Or this
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm
I think mmm5 said much the same as me but I was more succinct :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by mr wilks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 am

road warrior wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm Take a look at the auto express 2018 summer tyres review
Or this
Cant see any mention in that link of the Cinturato tyre :?
Though reading through it was interesting that the currently forum halo'd MPS4 was second to the Conti 6 :wink: not that id ever buy tyres specifically on magazine or internet reviews , unless by some random accident they were actually tested on a Z4 or even a rwd 2 seater sports car as opposed to a fwd Golf or Mondeo estate
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by mmm-five » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:25 am

mr wilks wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 am Cant see any mention in that link of the Cinturato tyre :?
Though reading through it was interesting that the currently forum halo'd MPS4 was second to the Conti 6 :wink: not that id ever buy tyres specifically on magazine or internet reviews , unless by some random accident they were actually tested on a Z4 or even a rwd 2 seater sports car as opposed to a fwd Golf or Mondeo estate
I've never had a problem with the performance of Contis (except for the abysmal SportContact M3 that the Z4M came with as standard). The only reason I now go for Michelin or Goodyear over them is that they wear too fast - in the region of about 2x the wear - so it just makes them poor value for money.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

road warrior

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by road warrior » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 am
road warrior wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm Take a look at the auto express 2018 summer tyres review
Or this
that was the point mr wilks, the conti p7 wasnt good enough for a mention :oops:
and whilst i acknowledge your infinite wisdom its seems logical and rational to take note of someone who tests tyres and is impartial to brand or make unless of course you intend to dedicate your life to testing every tyre on the market today and have access to a test track with which to test them all, not withstanding it might get a bit costly :rofl: however, i await your conclusions and should I live long enough to see your concluded independent opinions i will of course consider your opinions alongside the other opinions available. :P

And yes, member knowledge on the relevance to a z4 is of course useful but given that we tend to do around 5k a year on average , and even the worst will last at least 2-3 years and that tyres are updated and improved yearly what might be the dogs danglys 3 years ago may be outshone now by a Korean upstart today :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by mr wilks » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm
Or this
that was the point mr wilks, the conti p7 wasnt good enough for a mention :oops:
and whilst i acknowledge your infinite wisdom its seems logical and rational to take note of someone who tests tyres and is impartial to brand or make unless of course you intend to dedicate your life to testing every tyre on the market today and have access to a test track with which to test them all, not withstanding it might get a bit costly :rofl: however, i await your conclusions and should I live long enough to see your concluded independent opinions i will of course consider your opinions alongside the other opinions available. :P
Come down off that horse RW , i was merely stating the obvious , no point following a review for something that has little relevance to the end use for which you have intended :? bit like buying a hoover that's fantastic at picking up pet hair but you don't have a pet .
Tyre tests are done on mainstream vehicles most often fwd saloons , not really the same handling characteristics or weight of a 2 seater sports car i'm sure you will agree .
The UHP section of this is worth a watch , much sense talked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QseDx-aBaK4&t=539s
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

road warrior

Pirelli Cinturato P7

Post by road warrior » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:39 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm
road warrior wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Come down off that horse RW , i was merely stating the obvious , no point following a review for something that has little relevance to the end use for which you have intended :? bit like buying a hoover that's fantastic at picking up pet hair but you don't have a pet .
Tyre tests are done on mainstream vehicles most often fwd saloons , not really the same handling characteristics or weight of a 2 seater sports car i'm sure you will agree .
The UHP section of this is worth a watch , much sense talked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QseDx-aBaK4&t=539s
laughs, no horse here. just having a laugh as usual :) :D i have reached a giddy height in sarcasm and taking the mickey - seems a shame to waste it :)