Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

steering wheel removal/battery question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am

I'm about to remove the steering wheel to send to Royals for a refurb, mine being an auto I cant do an exchange as he has none in stock so i will be without a steering wheel for around 3 weeks.

My question is can I reconnect the battery once its off without upsetting the airbag light system? I dont really want to remove the battery from the car for 3 weeks as i may end up with transport mode and the battery is connected to the charger via the terminals in the engine bay keeping it topped up.

Anyone shed any light on the best course of action here? Cheers
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I think you will find reconnecting the battery with the airbag removed will result in an airbag light. No need for concern though, just leave the battery disconnected - it won't trigger transport mode (which is triggered from a slowly decreasing voltage, and even then only in the few cases where it wasn't deleted at the PDI) and no need to trickle charge the batt anyway as it's disconnected!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Cheers ph :thumbsup:

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:00 pm

is your wheel smg ie paddles ?if it’s any help I have a standard wheel you can borrow if you want to reconnect air bag I see you are in north Wales so not that far from you
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 pm

not smg kev just the standard auto..car is off the road for winter anyhow so wont need a spare wheel, thanks for the offer though its much appreciated