Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rainierjayson

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by rainierjayson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i and it is about to hit the 100k milestone. I thought I shall reward it with a full service myself to make sure it is running healthy. Here is what I have planned to do

-Oil & filter change
-Air filter & cabin filter
-Coolant flush
-Brake flush
-Spark plugs
-Tranny fluid (not sure if I should do this as I have read that the transmission might start to slip with the new fluid)

Is there anything else I am missing that I should consider? Or is there any advice you guys can offer in regards to the service? Just want to make sure my Z4 is running at it's highest potential as it is nearing 100k miles. Thanks.
Last edited by rainierjayson on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by Marlon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Welcome along, you may be on this already but you should consider diff oil change along with the gearbox & engine oil :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Yeah, as per Marlon suggestion, gearbox oil change. If gearchanges are difficult now this would be a highly beneficial move.
Also you could check:
DISA valve for rattles and refresh/renew as necessary.
Suspension bushes. Get a full inspection done to see if any are knackered.
UJ replaced. Any slack in the drivetrain?
Inlet manifold boot. Any holes?
Cam cover gasket replace. Any oil leaks?
Clean throttlebody and ICV.
Clear roof drains.
Check roof motor condition and relocate to the boot.

All the above are regular/recurring issues on fhe E85.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by ben g » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Definitely check/replace the arb bushes. If they're originals, they will more than likely be finished. Replace with polyurethane items for peace of mind in future. Consider replacing the droplinks also. Meyle HD have a good rep and are reasonably cheap.

I would recommend also replacing the front wishbone rear bush and the rear trailing arm bushes. I swapped these for superpro poly bushes on mine.

That depends whether you want to start messing around with suspension, or whether it's strictly the oily bits you want to check.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

cmaza

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by cmaza » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm Definitely check/replace the arb bushes. If they're originals, they will more than likely be finished. Replace with polyurethane items for peace of mind in future. Consider replacing the droplinks also. Meyle HD have a good rep and are reasonably cheap.

I would recommend also replacing the front wishbone rear bush and the rear trailing arm bushes. I swapped these for superpro poly bushes on mine.

That depends whether you want to start messing around with suspension, or whether it's strictly the oily bits you want to check.
Hey buddy,

im looking to freshen up my suspension but other than springs and dampers im not sure what to replace. do you have a full list and guide (i prefer to DIY) of additional bushes and the such to replace on a 100k car.

cheers

cmaza

HarryD

BMW Z4 DIY Service?

Post by HarryD » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 am

Good plan.

FWIW, I had the transmission fluid on my 2003 Z4 changed when I got the car by a pro shop. When it was returned I had a gasket leak. They replaced the gasket but it still leaked. They needed to replace the metal pan. Fortunately for me, they took care of it with no extra charges to me (even though I offered to pay for the pan).
Harry
1970 VW Sunroof Bus - "The Magic Bus"
1973.5 911T Targa - "Smokey"
2003 BMW Z4
2009 MB C300