Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 Waterpump?...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bellur

N52 Waterpump?...

Post by Bellur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Hey folks. Since starting a new job my Z4 coupe hasnt been getting driven too much. But last week I decided to take it to work for a bit of run out. I only got around 3 miles from the house when the temp gauge climbed into the red. I stopped immediately and let the car cool down which it did very fast. I took it easy back home with heater on full but only cool air was coming into the cabin. On the way back I stopped again as the temp climbed, as it happened on a pretty steep incline. Then all of a sudden hot air came into the cabin and the temp dropped off again. I made it back home safely and parked up.

My car had the waterpump (pierburg) and t/stat replaced less than 2 years ago (circa 20 months) and in that time the car would have done less than 10k miles.

So today I went out with my code reader and got 2E84 Electric coolant pump, communication. I cleared that then opened the expansion tank and the indicator was at the min level. I topped off with a coolant/water mix, it only took less than a cup full I'd say, very little to bring the indicator back to the max level. I then ran the bleed procedure with the front end raised slightly. There was lots of sloshing coming from the engine bay and I could clearly hear water flowing. I couldnt hear any distinct pump noise, is the waterpump pretty quiet under operation? After the stated 12 minutes and a little extra I ran the code reader again and all came back clear. Checked the coolant level again and it was spot on.
So I took the car for a drive with the hear on, it got up to temperature fine with really hot air coming into the cabin. I gave it a few spirited blasts staying close to home and the temp gauge stayed bang on in the middle. I came home and checked the fault codes again and all was clear.

I guess Im just curious if this seems like a simple air lock in the system from the car not being driven as much and the problem is sorted? I hope so as I dont't fancy going down the waterpump route again so soon unless I just get really unlucky :( I dont want to be taking it on a long journey with a potential time bomb of a waterpump.

rally-chris

N52 Waterpump?...

Post by rally-chris » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 pm

If you've already replaced the pump in living memory that I'd be having a look at the wiring that feeds it - perhaps the connector is corroded and leading to an intermittent connection, particularly whilst hot and/or car is moving.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Bellur

N52 Waterpump?...

Post by Bellur » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Update on this one. So I took the car into work and the whole way on the motorway it was perfect, upon exiting the temp started to creep up again, luckily I was only a few hundred metres from work. I managed to leave the car in with a BMW independent close to work and the diagnosis was a corroded power wire going to the water pump. So spot on there @rally-chris
So Im having that sorted along with a new rocker cover gasket which I was due to have left in for anyway. So all good and thankfully not an expensive bill :driving:

Capa

N52 Waterpump?...

Post by Capa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

You have my sympathies - glad it wasn't a big bill though. I'm on 107k on what I presume is the OE pump.

Feels a bit like it's on borrowed time and shall get replaced this year...
E86 | Stratus Grey