Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 2.0 M sport thinking of going to a E85 Z4MR

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am
Felix79 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 am Now having my M for a couple of months, I've found it's a really Jekyll and Hyde kinda car. It is perfectly happy cruising along the motorway, giving pretty damn good mpg, but when you cain it, you have get it into the low 20's / high teens without much thought. That said, the fuel costs have not been any worse than my Impreza P1 was (330hp/330lbt).

One area where I would say the M has really impressed me is with it's steering feel. The hydraulic steering really communicates with you and it's weighted to perfection. Also the M just looks "right" with the quad pipes and different bonnet due to the "power" bulge. The final piece is just how awesome the S54 sounds.

I've found the ride to be pretty firm and on some more bumps B roads, I have found the back wanting to skip. I might try and get some slightly softer dampeners, as my P1 was setup that way and it was designed with B road driving in mind from Prodrive. Around town, it can be a bit challenging dealing with firmer suspension, but it's very much a personal preference.
If it’s on standard springs, I received a lot of advice here which all said the stock rears were too hard, the fronts too soft.

I went for a Billy kit, still not 100% perfect but a huge improvement - better for the wallet than spending 2k on coilovers & as I don’t track seems just fine
That's something I would like to talk to you about in the future, as like yours, my M will never see a track. I have always preferred to enjoy driving the B roads that surround Oxford and the wider county.

I have always tried to stick with stuff that is an option or product endorsed by the car company, like Alpina stuff etc. Because of this, I am always very wary of trying to alter too much with the suspension. Smaller changes and details are what make a car right for my own tastes.

Papa_Zee

Post by Papa_Zee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Zoomer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 am I’ve thought hard about moving up to a M today from my 3.0 today and to be honest I find it hard to justify myself as tax is £500 + a year , insurance is more and you brakes and rotors are a lot more. The engine needs shins and a few of the guys recon that if it’s got miles on it then you also need to look at engine bearings to be safe. So I’ve kept my 3.0 . My father in law moved from a 2.0 to the 3.0 though and thought it very worthwhile
I understand, truly. But no one who had set their mind on an M will be put off by the road fund license in the slightest. In fact most M owners (Self inc) SORN their cars over the winter anyway.

Not to be rude but the M is very different to all the other Z models. I wouldn’t even consider it a daily driver like the others, including the 3.0 can be. They are that special.
E89 35is

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Papa_Zee wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm
Zoomer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 am I’ve thought hard about moving up to a M today from my 3.0 today and to be honest I find it hard to justify myself as tax is £500 + a year , insurance is more and you brakes and rotors are a lot more. The engine needs shins and a few of the guys recon that if it’s got miles on it then you also need to look at engine bearings to be safe. So I’ve kept my 3.0 . My father in law moved from a 2.0 to the 3.0 though and thought it very worthwhile
I understand, truly. But no one who had set their mind on an M will be put off by the road fund license in the slightest. In fact most M owners (Self inc) SORN their cars over the winter anyway.

Not to be rude but the M is very different to all the other Z models. I wouldn’t even consider it a daily driver like the others, including the 3.0 can be. They are that special.
I would knock an M at all as it’s a car to aspire too and perhaps one day or if I can find a very early one to get the lower tax bracket then who knows. The 3.0 though has more than enough power for most people
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Papa_Zee wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm

I wouldnt knock an M at all as it’s a car to aspire too and perhaps one day or if I can find a very early one to get the lower tax bracket then who knows. The 3.0 though has more than enough power for most people
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE