Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cost of Replacing Brake pipes and Front Lower Suspension Arms

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
billabongmac

Post by billabongmac » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I have had a quote from my local garage to replace the following parts due to it failing its MOT.

I was a bit surprised at the labour cost for replacing the corroded brake pipes N/S & O/S "front to rear" totally 4 hours work at £300. Is it really that much work to do this job?

In terms of the labour for replacing N/S & O/S front lower suspension arms, and replacing "rear" rubber bushes with Poly bushes (powerflex bushes) the labour cost for this job is 2 hours work at £175.

Parts:

The brake pipes cost £40

The suspension arms are £115 each along with the poly bush kit costing £55

Any thoughts or advice on whether this seems over priced would be appreciated!
Alpina Roaster S Lux #114
Gone - Z4 2.5si SE Roadster - Intravee II & Stubby

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:50 pm

You could ask dlv, he's done a few brake pipe replacement
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 pm

I think the amount of time they are quoting to replace the rear brake pipes is a high. If they are replacing the rear sections (by adding a joiner) it should only take a couple of hours. It can be done without dropping the tanks unlike the 3-series.

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm

If you're near the NW give Mike at Zed4Mods a call. He did my pipes a whole lot less than that!
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Mike (aka Ducklakeview) did mine last October for £100 all in - but that was before he got his premises so it may be a bit more now.

He can be contacted here:- https://www.facebook.com/ZedShedNW/

My understanding is that you do need to drop the tank to fit OEM pipes because they're already shaped and flared so you can't just push them through the clips on the rear bulkhead - but to be fair I didn't actually try!

But if the OP has been quoted £40 for the pipes that doesn't sound like a BMW price, so £300 sounds plenty for labour. I wonder if they are going to cut the originals under the cover and fit connectors there or run them all the way under the car?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 pm Mike (aka Ducklakeview) did mine last October for £100 all in - but that was before he got his premises so it may be a bit more now.

He can be contacted here:- https://www.facebook.com/ZedShedNW/

My understanding is that you do need to drop the tank to fit OEM pipes because they're already shaped and flared so you can't just push them through the clips on the rear bulkhead - but to be fair I didn't actually try!

But if the OP has been quoted £40 for the pipes that doesn't sound like a BMW price, so £300 sounds plenty for labour. I wonder if they are going to cut the originals under the cover and fit connectors there or run them all the way under the car?
That's the point if you use the OEM pipes it's going to be expensive, if you replace the whole run rather than putting a joiner in it's also going to push the price up. IMHO both are unnecessary.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:13 am

On a semi-related note, has anyone else noticed Mike's been very quiet on the forum recently? Fair enough if he has a business to run and things are busy, but I hope everything's ok with him.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport