Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Journey Begins!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Spaniarduk

My Journey Begins!

Post by Spaniarduk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Reading this thread I feel like I'm doing the job myself but without the expenditure! :lol: :D .
Keep up the good work and keep us posted :thumbsup:
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm Reading this thread I feel like I'm doing the job myself but without the expenditure! :lol: :D .
Keep up the good work and keep us posted :thumbsup:
I'll take that as approval for my plan! 👍
My daily driver, and occasional track toy,
56 plate e86 3.0si sport.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Front and rear strut braces
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

90 miles and climbing, slowly.
:driving:

LittleZ4

My Journey Begins!

Post by LittleZ4 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:20 am

Cracking work already gone into this :D
It might be worth adding in reinforcement plates if you're swapping out all the suspension with a view to putting the car on the track, should help stop any "potential" mushrooming of the tower tops (not sure I've got those names right......it's too early lol)
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Ouch. £580 for 4 new winter tyres! Feeling broke and looking at additional parts, what a dichotomy
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 pm

It may have cost but, wow, what a difference. I don't get how people say they cannot feel a difference every time they change something. I'm feeling every single change. She feels even better on the new tyres but I can now feel the front ball joints are not quite right and the struts must be shot as I can feel a slight tendency to bounce. But it just gets better and better to drive. I cannot wait to get it all sorted...
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

kis
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by kis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm

JonLeeper wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am As she is today!

20181210_104235.jpg
That hardtop looks nice 8)
I trust you didn't have any wind-noise issues but if you did give me a shout. I'll tell you how to adjust it :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm

kis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm

20181210_104235.jpg
I trust you didn't have any wind-noise issues but if you did give me a shout. I'll tell you how to adjust it :)
No issues so far mate. Thanks
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

kis
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by kis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm

JonLeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm
kis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm

20181210_104235.jpg
Nonisses so far mate. Thanks
I'm glad :driving: Look forward to seeing how this progresses, and for what it's worth I'd consider getting shot of the "summer" 108's and getting some 224's. Better offsets and less corrosion issues (split rims are unfortunately more susceptible). Got a spare set myself, if you're interested and sure a deal can be done :wink:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm

kis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm
JonLeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm
kis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm That hardtop looks nice 8)
Nonisses so far mate. Thanks
I'm glad :driving: Look forward to seeing how this progresses, and for what it's worth I'd consider getting shot of the "summer" 108's and getting some 224's. Better offsets and less corrosion issues (split rims are unfortunately more susceptible). Got a spare set myself, if you're interested and sure a deal can be done :wink:
How did I guess your have a set for sale! Go on I'll bite how much?
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by Jembo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm

JonLeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm
kis wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm
JonLeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm Nonisses so far mate. Thanks
How did I guess your have a set for sale! Go on I'll bite how much?
Just a nudge the mods will have your ‘happy sacks’ as anything sold here’s supposed to be done openly & with a price.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

kis
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by kis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I've been on the alloys/tyres quest for a long time. Wrote this as part of my findings.

I've long since sold my 107's originally bought.
Had a weedy set of 16" 104's for one winter.
Then a set of e46 17's for a while.
Then my current 224's.

I never even ended up fitting my 108's which I've just sold recently too.

Seen your comment Jembo so will do a separate thread for it. Cheers
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:02 pm

So time I updated this thread, methinks.

Not too much has happened to the car, as I've been putting in 50-60 hour weeks at work! Bother all of you who order your Christmas presents off amazon. :thumbsup:

So she spent best part of 2 weeks in the garage having her big service. When they took off the rocker cover to fit a new gasket they discovered that the cover itself was badly cracked. After they'd cleaned it they said they couldn't refit it as it was too badly damaged. They couldn't find the part from their usual supplier and BMW wanted £400 plus VAT for a new one. A quick eBay search and I found one for £60, quick win I thought. It wasn't until 2 days later when it arrived at the garage that I realised BMW completely changed the rocker covers during 2007 and mine, of course, was the other one from what I'd ordered! So back onto eBay and ordered the correct part. All done now and she's back cruising up and down the motorway daily adding to the miles :driving:

Cost £862.14, of which nearly £250 was for the new Air Flow Meter to cure the emissions light coming on. Whilst that seems quite expensive it does include a gearbox oil change and Inspection 2 so not too bad overall. It would be better if the emissions light hadn't come back on yesterday, but I guess that's just going to be an ongoing issue for me to chase down. :headbang:

So whilst I was looking at the old girl in the work car park I decided that I really needed to do something about the incredibly bad paintwork, see this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=111234. SO I drove out to see Lynchy, a really nice bloke, who was very disparaging about the state of my car! Not only was it grubby outside but the inside looked like a group of travelers had been living in there for a month! Well maybe not a month but a good couple of weeks at least! Sadly he thought that the dirt on the outside was covering up the worst of my paint issues and I really need a respray. Definitely the whole nearside and the offside rear quarter panel so probably worth doing the entire car and being done with it. that puts me in a total quandary. If I'm going to respray then I'd love to change the colour. I really fancy getting her painted a really deep luxurious purple and then accent that with deep bronze wheels and small pieces of trim. However that's going to probably add another £1,500 to the £2,000 for a re-spray. And, as Lynchy said, it's already a 170,000 mile car......... I am also soooooooo tempted by a Coupe. I know I've now got the hardtop and so the best of both worlds but I loooove the swoop of the Coupe at the rear.

To say I'm now confused is an understatement. i'm CONFUSED and CONFLICTED and yes I did mean for both of those to be in capitals! Hey ho. I'll just have ot keep driving and enjoying the car and think a bit about where I go from here. :driving: :driving: :driving:
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Email sent to CA International about my thoughts! Looking forward to the response in the New Year. My current thinking is that if i sort out this car then, should the worst happen and then engine blows up, I can either transfer most of the kit to a new one or i just put a new engine in my shell that i know is sorted. All of the shells are the same age so I'm not losing anything, especially if I've overhauled all of the bits that wear. And i know that my shell is straight and hasn't been crashed and so is a good place to start from.

Good morning,

I am after a little advise and then to book my car into your partner garage in Erith Kent please.

Background.

I bought myself an e85 Z4 3.0Si roadster 6 months ago as a present to myself for a fun daily driver and occasional track day car. The car is high mileage, 170,000, but was one owner from new and has a complete service history. It also suffers from a bad respray done to cover a key scratch. The car has been inspected and has never had any crash damage and is very straight and in good nick underneath. I am currently adding about 2,000 miles a month but that should lessen in the New Year. It will still be my primary car though and will need to cope with everyday British roads with all of the implications that brings about potholes, poor road surfaces and speed humps.

Concerns.

I’ve just had a full Inspection 2 done and had the gearbox oil changed as well as the rocker cover gasket and oil cooler gasket done as there was a little leakage around these areas. The Air Flow Mass Meter was also changed as the temperature sensor had stopped working. This was supposed to stop the emissions light coming on as the cause was supposed to be the ECU not recognising the air temperature and hence not altering fuelling to match. Unfortunately the emissions light has come back on so that is clearly another problem! The front ball joint need replacing and the Rear Trailing Arm Bushes also need replacing. I have records of new front suspension arms and rear springs in the history but no record of the shocks ever being replaced. I suspect that the shocks are totally shot although they are not showing any signs of leakage and it passes and MOT. However it is not riding as well as I think it should and tends to “bang and crash” rather than soak up any of the irregularities in the road. I have also felt it hit the bump stops on occasion when driving through sudden dips in the road.

Brief.

I would like a fun fast road car that handles well, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and can withstand the abuse of a few track days every year. I am more of a fan of driving rather than looking at my cars so the mechanical components come first and the cosmetic things later. I spent £3,500 buying the car and have a total budget of no more than £8,500 to complete it. I have already spent £900 on a hardtop and £930 on a Brembo 6 pot front brake conversion, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110609. That leaves about £3,000 in the budget, I do not count servicing or normal running costs as part of that budget just additional extras! That means there is a little flexibility if required. I am sure that as I get more track days under my belt then I will be looking to improve specific aspects of the car but I would just like it to be as good as it can be without spending a significant amount or running the drivability / comfort on a daily basis. After all it will spend the vast majority of its time running me to and from work not on a track.

My thoughts.

1. Replace / upgrade springs and shocks. I think that the car needs new shocks regardless of any other work. I think that it would benefit from a new set of springs as well. However I cannot decide between the Bilstein B4 and B6 shocks and the Eibach or standard M-Sport springs. The B4s are supposed to be a direct replacement for the OEM shocks but I have read that the B6s are better in terms of control. I have also heard that the Eibach springs, being progressive, are better than the standard M-Sport as they stiffen up through the corners allowing the benefits of normal(ish) spring rates over potholes but stiffer spring rates when cornering fast. Bearing in mind that I have the standard springs already fitted, albeit with a large number of miles on them, I could go back to standard. Also the standard springs do not seem to be overly expensive so swapping those wouldn’t be the end of the world.

2. Replace and upgrade the suspension bushes throughout the rear suspension. I was looking at the Rogue Engineering Uprated RTAB with the Reinforcements, if required, the Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts and the Turner Motorsport Upper Monoball Sub-frame Control Arm Bushing. The other bushes would be replaced with standard Powerflex Polybush ones. I notice that there are a number of replacement Rear control Arms but I am not sure if they would be necessary on a mainly road car. I think that this should completely refresh the rear suspension and provide a subtle upgrade without ruining the ride.

3. Replace and upgrade the suspension bushes throughout the front suspension. I cannot see any uprated “lollypop” bushes on your site so I am thinking that replacing the standard items with standard Powerflex Polybush ones. Also I have been told that there is an uprated Ball Joint from Meyle that could be fitted, but you don’t appear to stock it. I would need the ball joint replacing regardless on any other work.

4. Replace the gear shift bush with a standard Powerflex Polybush one. This has never been changed and so will be worn. Replacing this can only improve the shift.

5. Fit the Brembo Front Callipers and CSL disks. Fit the front braided brake lines.

6. Refresh the rear brakes, replacing handbrake shoes and adjusting handbrake.

7. Preventative maintenance and engine management. When the new brakes and shoes / pads are being fitted it would be worth flushing the old brake fluid out and replacing with higher spec fluid. I am not sure which parts are likely to give problems during a track day but I am happy to do any preventative maintenance that is suggested to negate the risk of failure.

8. A full 4 wheel alignment and reset to fast road settings.

Looking at all of this I think that I am looking at about £1,500 in parts and another £5-600 in labour to fit. That leaves a little room in the budget if there are other things that you would suggest getting done / fitting at this point.

Questions.

1. What is your experience of these two suspension setups? Does the increased harshness of the B6/Eibach outweigh the benefits of increased road holding? Also is there anything that can be done with a combination of stiffer anti-roll bars and softer springs to allow for good road manners / comfortable ride at low speed and good track manners / fast road handling at higher speeds?

2. Would it be worth fitting strut tower reinforcement plates to the suspension towers front and rear when replacing the springs and struts?

3. Would it be worth replacing the Rear Control arms at the same time as the rest of the rear suspension, or is it an expense that I can leave as it wouldn’t provide a significant improvement and can be done later if necessary?

4. Would it be worth fitting strut tower reinforcement plates to the suspension towers front and rear when replacing the springs and struts?

5. Is there an uprated “lollypop bush” and Ball Joint that you would recommend using when refreshing the front suspension? Also should I be looking at any other items at the same time, possibly the track rods?

6. Is it worth replacing the front mounts with either Camber Adjustable or Camber and Caster adjustable items or is this an expense that I can leave as it wouldn’t provide a significant improvement and can be done later if necessary?

7. Is it worth looking at uprated anti-roll bars and drop links? Would it be possible to combine uprated / stiffer anti-roll bars with the new springs and shocks to give a suspension setup that can cope with my requirement of comfort on normal road and track day fun?

8. Are there any other components of the gear shift that could / should be changed to improve the gear change? It is not too bad at the moment but any improvement would be welcome.

9. With the Brembo front brake kit fitted is it worth upgrading the rear brakes more than changing the pads? Which pads would you recommend? Is it worth fitting a braided brake line for the rear at the same time?

10. Is there any preventative maintenance that you would suggest doing prior to a track day in early February. I have just had the oil / filter and gearbox oil changed as part of the recent Inspection 1.

11. Would you recommend strut braces and if so which ones?

12. Would you recommend and structural reinforcement or replacement of engine / gearbox mounts?

13. What is the earliest in the New Year that I could be booked into the Erith garage and how long would you anticipate the work taking?

I hope that this makes sense and look forward to hearing from you early in the New Year.

Many thanks,

Jon Leeper
Logistic Operations Manager | LCY8 | ATS | UK
Monday - Friday
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

mermade

My Journey Begins!

Post by mermade » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 pm

this site is easy to use for the powerflex as you can click on the numbers of the diagram to find the ones you need :) https://powerflexstore.co.uk/bmw/z4-e85-e86-2003-2009/

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by ben g » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 am

You sent all that as an email? Jesus christ, I've been told the Bible is shorter than what you typed :o I think being a bit more consise and cutting out the waffle would be a good start :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.