Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Journey Begins!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 pm

So today I officially start my journey towards the Dark Side, well towards slightly modifying the Zed anyway! :fuelfire:

A little background. I bought my 57 plate 3.0Si roadster in July this year with 164k miles on it. It had been a demonstrator car and then owned by the same person for the rest of its life and looked after really quite well. Lots of receipts, past MOTs and proof of regular services etc. She had both front suspensions bushes and a wishbone replaced last year, the electronic water pump in 2016 and the other wishbone and one of the rear springs in 2016. The recent MOT mileage showed that it had done @17k each year since 2010. The driver’s side leather seat was showing its age and it wasn't as "tight" as I'd have liked but it pulled like a train and I loved, still do, the view in the wing mirrors! Those hips are just great and always make me smile. :driving:

As for costs she cost me £3,499 and I’ve put in £21.99 of oil! As for fuel the best MPG I’ve had was 37.63 from a tank of Tesco Momentum. I’m averaging 32.24 MPG from Shell V-Power and other high-octane fuels and 30.74 MPG from normal fuel. Not great but not terrible either.

Those are the good bits. The bad bits, the steering is a little vague sometimes, the front disks are slightly warped and it’s really noticeable that the rear isn’t right on the motorway! I had already guessed that this was due, mostly, to knackered RTA bushes. Also, the ride was terrible. It bumps and crashes over everything and isn’t as pleasant as I remember it being. Some of that will be the OEM runflats it has on and some of it is likely to be the springs and shocks being shot. It was always hard but it’s now just uncomfortable. Oh and the external temperature sensor thinks its -40 oC all the time and the emissions light has its own little disco thing going on!

So since buying it I've put nearly 10k miles on it and it is my ride to and from work every day, so I'm adding to that at about 2,500 miles a month! I finally couldn't put up with some of her more wayward traits and so it went into an independent garage this morning for them to have a good poke around and see whether it's worth me spending money getting this car sorted or if I should scrap this one and start again with something else. The verdict was really good. It’s clean and rust-free underneath, no signs of any previous damage and everything looks like it’s OEM BMW, cats etc. The engine came up clean, of anything major, on the scanner and sounds nice. The RTA bushes are shot, and the front outer ball joints need replacing but the springs are all good. There’s no evidence that the shocks are leaking but there are 2 small oil leaks. One is from the rocker cover gasket and the other from the oil cooler gasket. Neither is too serious but both need doing. Oh and the air temperature sensor in the MAF isn’t registering, which is what they think is causing the emissions light to come one and off. Overall a great place to start. She needs an Inspection 2 so I’ve booked her in next week for that, gearbox oil change, gaskets, outside temperature sensor and MAF air temperature sensor.

So, what’s the plan. Well she will always be my daily driver first and foremost so everything I do has to fit around that. However, I really used to enjoy trackdays in my Mk2 Golf GTi and intend to do a few every year in the Z, so that comes a close second. I have a basic plan, the first thing to get sorted are the RTA bushes and the front brakes / ball joints. Then I’ll think about the suspension and then, well who knows!

I’d already bought a spare set of 108s so I can have a winter and summer set and have now changed the runflats for the new ones. Well part worn ones and the old wheels are in the tyre fitters awaiting their new winter boots, £580 or so, I’ll find out next week when I go back to get them changed.
Last edited by JonLeeper on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
My daily driver, and occasional track toy,
56 plate e86 3.0si sport.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Front and rear strut braces
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

90 miles and climbing, slowly.
:driving:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by Jembo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:21 pm

... quick, get the pics in coz our fav line is :worthless:

You sound like an expert already, you’ll fit right in, welcome welcome
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 pm

So the list of things to buy, and the questions start:

1. RTABs. Do I go OEM and limiting brackets, poly or spherical?

http://www.hackengineering.co.uk/produc ... 46-inc-m3/
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-det ... h/703.html
https://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/syn ... d-e46.html
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

NickDE

My Journey Begins!

Post by NickDE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 pm

A new set of shockers is probably well overdue. Bilstein B4 if you want a comfortable ride, or B6 if you want track performance but don't mind losing your fillings.
With the money you spent on the purchase, plus the repairs, you will still have a mega car for little money :driving:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm

So how she sits today with the newer 108s and non runflst tyres.
20181208_142700.jpg
20181208_142700.jpg (305.95 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
I have to say I'm not 100% convinced its not my imagination but she feels a lot better without the runflats. Theres still the vagueness in the steering and the wandering rear end but she copes with the small bumps and ripples in the road much better. Oh and there's far less road noise. I definitely recommend ditching runflats!
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:48 pm

And it continues. Big break kit from Ed,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110609

and a hardtop from Kis,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110937

Thanks to both.

I'll post a picture of the hardtop fitted tomorrow. And then the search for parts will continue.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am

As she is today!
20181210_104235.jpg
20181210_104235.jpg (334.34 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
I still need to take the hardtop back off and make sure that the soft top is completely dry before putting it back on. Should I do anything else to the softtop before putting it away for the winter?
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

My Journey Begins!

Post by Smartbear » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi, as long as it’s dry it will be fine :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm Hi, as long as it’s dry it will be fine :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks. Next time I can guarantee a dry still get the top taken off and the canvas dried.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm

So I've just priced up the standard Powerflex polybushes fornthe Z4 and its £1,451.14 for the entire set. So heres the question, which ones doni need to upgrade from the standard?

I've seen references to;

Replacing the Lower Rear Uproght Bush to the top Spec, as per m3/2 spec.
Offset Z4M TCA Bushes
Upgraded RTABs

Also ;

Front Camber Plates

Anyone got any ideas?
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

Silverzedtom

My Journey Begins!

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Car looks great :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the camber plate suggestions...
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Ed Doe

My Journey Begins!

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 pm

JonLeeper wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:48 pm And it continues. Big break kit from Ed,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110609

and a hardtop from Kis,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110937

Thanks to both.

I'll post a picture of the hardtop fitted tomorrow. And then the search for parts will continue.
Pleasure to meet you Jon - loving the plans for the car, will be following this thread with interest!

The brakes will be superb for daily use and trackdays too 8)

On the powerflex question - id suggest the front lollipop bushes and the rear trailing arm bushes are the ones that will make the biggest difference. Those are the ones I did on my car - a minor increase in nvh was acceptable for the significantly sharper handling and the more consistent geometry.

The diff bushes do give a big increase in nvh - a friend of mine did these on his z3 - I would perhaps leave them off your car if you do lots of miles :thumbsup:

Another worthwhile mod for track (and for snow days :roll: ) is an lsd - I had a quaife unit which was awesome :P birds auto in Iver supply and fit them with a lifetime warranty - or there are very occasionally second hand units that turn up.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

JINGLE

My Journey Begins!

Post by JINGLE » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Jon and welcome! You certainly don’t hang about. Loving the purchases and plans so far, will keep an eye on this to follow your progress!

(Also I’ve ditched the runflats, poly bushed the RTAB and lollipops and they all make SUCH a difference, I would suggest doing these 3 things 1st before deciding on the others as they will probably cure most of your handling issues)

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 pm

So I've been spending a little time trying to find all of the proper bits to do a decent job as i go. My first thoughts are to refresh the springs and shocks and bush the suspension front and rear. This should give me a really good starting point for my first trackday next year, without deviating too much from stock, so I know what to spend my cash on.

I've not actually paid for anything in my basket but I have added everything I think I need and would welcome any comments about where I've gone overboard or where I should be looking at better parts.

I found this really good picture of the rear suspension and have used it to base my purchases for the rear on.
e85 Rear suspension.jpeg
e85 Rear suspension.jpeg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
I've gone for Rogue Engineering uprated RTAB combined with their RTAB Reinforcements and the Turner Motorsport Upper Control arm Bushing. All of the other two bushes I'll get from the Powerflex "street" range. This should renew all of the rear suspension bushes. I've thought about getting adjustable Lower Control Arms but i think I'll wait and see if I need them.

For the front it looks like there is only one bush, the so called lollypop, which I'll get from the Powerflex "street" range again.

For the suspension I've gone for Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts and I was thinking that Bilstein B6 shocks and standard springs would give the ideal mix of comfort and performance I'm looking for. There are adjustable camber/caster plates but I'm not sure I'll need them, and at nearly £400, I've not gone for those. I've also decided not to change the anti-roll bar bushes or drop links as I may change the bars themselves after Febuary.

I recon that's a little under £1,500 to refresh all of the suspension and get her handling back to a little better than stock. So thoughts?
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

JonLeeper

My Journey Begins!

Post by JonLeeper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:09 pm

So in real terms that's;

£3,500 for the car
£930 for the front brakes
£1,500 for the bushes etc

So I'm in about £6,000 with a really good service and some fitting costs to come. Notional budget is a bit bigger than that so there's room for some more tweeks if necessary! ;-)
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit