New Cup holders

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JonLeeper
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent

New Cup holders

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm

So the drivers side cup holder has finally given up the ghost and now the ratchet has failed. That means both side are toast and I do like a coffee to keep me motivated to and from work every day!

I've removed the passenger side one and it doesn't look like it can be easily repaired so replacement it is. Are they really over £100 a set on Ebay from Germany or can I get then cheaper somewhere else?

Many thanks,

Jon
My daily driver.
57 plate e85 3.0si sport.
Silver
172k miles and climbing at a rate of 2,500 per month!
:driving:

User avatar
chrisgreen
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

New Cup holders

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm

hi john,

Contact Rybrook BMW in Warwick and quote M3cutters. They're by far the cheapest BMW dealer around
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving:

JonLeeper
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent

New Cup holders

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 pm

chrisgreen wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm
hi john,

Contact Rybrook BMW in Warwick and quote M3cutters. They're by far the cheapest BMW dealer around
Thanks. I'll try them.
My daily driver.
57 plate e85 3.0si sport.
Silver
172k miles and climbing at a rate of 2,500 per month!
:driving:

weegeoff
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: Scotland

New Cup holders

Post by weegeoff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

JonLeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm
So the drivers side cup holder has finally given up the ghost and now the ratchet has failed. That means both side are toast and I do like a coffee to keep me motivated to and from work every day!

I've removed the passenger side one and it doesn't look like it can be easily repaired so replacement it is. Are they really over £100 a set on Ebay from Germany or can I get then cheaper somewhere else?

Many thanks,

Jon
You drink while you drive :thumbsdown:

JonLeeper
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent

New Cup holders

Post by JonLeeper » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm

weegeoff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm
JonLeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm
So the drivers side cup holder has finally given up the ghost and now the ratchet has failed. That means both side are toast and I do like a coffee to keep me motivated to and from work every day!

I've removed the passenger side one and it doesn't look like it can be easily repaired so replacement it is. Are they really over £100 a set on Ebay from Germany or can I get then cheaper somewhere else?

Many thanks,

Jon
You drink while you drive :thumbsdown:
Well I'm not American so I'm qualified to consume hot beverages without burning myself and sueing the supplier!

😘😘
My daily driver.
57 plate e85 3.0si sport.
Silver
172k miles and climbing at a rate of 2,500 per month!
:driving:

weegeoff
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: Scotland

New Cup holders

Post by weegeoff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

JonLeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm
weegeoff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm
JonLeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm
So the drivers side cup holder has finally given up the ghost and now the ratchet has failed. That means both side are toast and I do like a coffee to keep me motivated to and from work every day!

I've removed the passenger side one and it doesn't look like it can be easily repaired so replacement it is. Are they really over £100 a set on Ebay from Germany or can I get then cheaper somewhere else?

Many thanks,

Jon
You drink while you drive :thumbsdown:
Well I'm not American so I'm qualified to consume hot beverages without burning myself and sueing the supplier!

😘😘
Silly me I thought you were driving at the time. :!:

User avatar
ben g
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6545
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Location: Essex

New Cup holders

Post by ben g » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:48 pm

weegeoff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm
JonLeeper wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:31 pm
weegeoff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm
You drink while you drive :thumbsdown:
Well I'm not American so I'm qualified to consume hot beverages without burning myself and sueing the supplier!

😘😘
Silly me I thought you were driving at the time. :!:
I hope you don't change the radio station and/or mess about with the heater controls, because that requires the same amount of concentration as it does to sip some coffee :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Bilstein, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Sport MFSW, ZHP, Gaptech RCH+, Strut Brace.

User avatar
Magicarcher
Member
Member
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:12 pm
Location: Warwickshire

New Cup holders

Post by Magicarcher » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 pm

chrisgreen wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm
hi john,

Contact Rybrook BMW in Warwick and quote M3cutters. They're by far the cheapest BMW dealer around
I use Rybrook Warwick a fair bit, what is M3Cutters and how does it help?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

User avatar
chrisgreen
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

New Cup holders

Post by chrisgreen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Magicarcher wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 pm
chrisgreen wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:24 pm
hi john,

Contact Rybrook BMW in Warwick and quote M3cutters. They're by far the cheapest BMW dealer around
I use Rybrook Warwick a fair bit, what is M3Cutters and how does it help?
it gets you a discount - they're a sponsor of M3cutters forum website
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving:

weegeoff
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm
Location: Scotland

New Cup holders

Post by weegeoff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Silly me I thought you were driving at the time. :!:
I hope you don't change the radio station and/or mess about with the heater controls, because that requires the same amount of concentration as it does to sip some coffee :lol:
My heating is preset so I don't need to touch it. The radio if I wish to change I do on the steering wheel.
You had better watch out for speed bumps. So don't take your eyes off the road :P :P

User avatar
thecremeegg
Member
Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 am

New Cup holders

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Is it actually broken?
Both of mine broke (one refused to open and the other just popped out completely!) and I dismantled them and they were fairly easy to fix.
I'd give that a go first tbh!

JonLeeper
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent

New Cup holders

Post by JonLeeper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 pm

thecremeegg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm
Is it actually broken?
Both of mine broke (one refused to open and the other just popped out completely!) and I dismantled them and they were fairly easy to fix.
I'd give that a go first tbh!
I've dismantled the passenger side one and cannot see how it's broken to fix! The spring appears to be too slack to hold the mechanism in place and so it's just expanding yo full size regardless of where it's set.
My daily driver.
57 plate e85 3.0si sport.
Silver
172k miles and climbing at a rate of 2,500 per month!
:driving:

User avatar
thecremeegg
Member
Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 am

New Cup holders

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Hmm interesting. My spring had become detached!

User avatar
ben g
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6545
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Location: Essex

New Cup holders

Post by ben g » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm

weegeoff wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm
Silly me I thought you were driving at the time. :!:
I hope you don't change the radio station and/or mess about with the heater controls, because that requires the same amount of concentration as it does to sip some coffee :lol:
My heating is preset so I don't need to touch it. The radio if I wish to change I do on the steering wheel.
You had better watch out for speed bumps. So don't take your eyes off the road :P :P
Good luck demisting your windscreen whilst driving. There's no button on the steering wheel for that.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Bilstein, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Sport MFSW, ZHP, Gaptech RCH+, Strut Brace.

User avatar
chrisgreen
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

New Cup holders

Post by chrisgreen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:07 pm

weegeoff wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm
Silly me I thought you were driving at the time. :!:
I hope you don't change the radio station and/or mess about with the heater controls, because that requires the same amount of concentration as it does to sip some coffee :lol:
My heating is preset so I don't need to touch it. The radio if I wish to change I do on the steering wheel.
You had better watch out for speed bumps. So don't take your eyes off the road :P :P
assume it's not a manual either - otherwise you'll be driving round everywhere in 1st gear :rofl:
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving:

Post Reply