Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Satnav; With or without?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Seanoog

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Seanoog » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello fellow forum members.
As per the thread title, what is the general consensus/opinion's among members?
Regarding all E85/E86 Z4's or Z4M's with or without Satnav's?

I appreciate this is a contentious subject.. :poke: :fuelfire:
But what pros or cons would owners say, there is too owning the Z4, that do or don't have Satnav units installed?
I ask because I am still seriously considering buying a Z4 before the xmas holidays, but still completely on the fence regarding cars
with or without Satnav's! :headbang:

So please, for members that own these cars, whats your opinion of the Satnav?
Useful and informative addition to my car?
Dated and a eye sore on my cars dashboard?
Daily: BMW (E90) 330i MSport
Toy: Still Looking. :fuelfire:

Z4 Gaz

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Z4 Gaz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm

I really wouldn't make it a high priority.
For the times when you actually need a sat nav you are far better off using a standalone device such as a tomtom live or your mobile.
I attached both my phone and sat nav to the centre air vents, using those small magnets, when driving round Europe over the summer. They helped me miss quite a few traffic jams that the inbuilt sat nav system wouldn't have known about.
E85 3.0i

Mister T

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Mister T » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Even if you ignore the basic capability of the sat nav, I personally think the screen still has it's merits :)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Satnav; With or without?

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:35 pm

If it’s specifically the sat-nag we’re talking about then I don’t use mine...I use a TomTom stuck to the Piano Black dash at a lower level, so it doesn’t distract whilst driving.

If we’re talking about the pop-up display that’s used for other tings too, then I’d happily have it again...but with a no sat-nav option (which was never an option).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Satnav; With or without?

Post by buzyg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:39 pm

I have Sat Nav. I would happily pay a little extra for a Zed WITHOUT Nav. It's just poor quality, extra weight, and one of the least reliable things in a Zed4. :oops:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Satnav; With or without?

Post by GuidoK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:11 pm

I use the screen for music title info when playing mp3's from my cp600 and of course for the satnav.
It hasn't failed yet in its 14 year life so definately not the least reliable in the z4 (tink about: rear spings, vanos, fcab, disa, coolant expansion tank, waterpump etc etc).
I'm planning to integrate a raspberry Pi in it with all its benefits.

Yes its dated but then again, every in car system is usually dated and limited compared to a phone or stand alone nav.
The only time I use a stand alone nav is on organized trips through europe where the trip is layed out in itn or gpx. Most in-car satnavs cant do anything with that (bmw's CIC is also rubbish with that) so whatever system is in the car, when you want that functionality to work flawlessly you need a seperate device anyhow.

I also wonder if you have no screen how the HIFI DSP would function with its equalizer etc. Is that then still adjustable in all its settings?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Trav

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Trav » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm

I think the screen is ok for phone use and radio selection etc. It looks a bit clunky but it functions ok. The nav itself is not that good, it tries very hard not to recalculate a route. I would still rather have it for the visual phone functionality if nothing else.
Z4MR A.W.

philbo909

Satnav; With or without?

Post by philbo909 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm

I could take it or leave it, I like the 10 speaker system it comes with though!
I dislike how the screen pops out if you skip a track and that it ruins the clean line of the dash when its in
The sat nav function is outdated, but is good to fall back on if you're without alternative
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Satnav; With or without?

Post by firebobby » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:06 pm

I don't have one and think it would spoil the look of my magnificent wooden dash. I use my Tom Tom of wife wife, with a map book :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

montymog

Satnav; With or without?

Post by montymog » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 pm

love the satnav its proved reliable and with a 2018 updated bmw dvd its bang up to date it also breaks up the otherwise bland top section of the dashboard but i can understand the appeal of magnets,brackers,blue tack and wires hanging down NOT! :slappy:
e85 3.0si monaco metallic extended oregon cream leather.m seats all electric with heating and extensions.m multifunction s/wheel reverse sensors.light maple wood trim m suspension ect.ect. running on eagle f1 assy 3s

IRD

Satnav; With or without?

Post by IRD » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm

We have the ‘built in’ version in the BMW 330 and aTomTom for the E89. So having both, which is best? Well I find the TomTom easier to use and the one I have has free updates for life plus speed camera and sign recognition. Whereas the built in version in the 330 doesn’t have these features even though the car is only a year old. I also paid a fiver when I bought the TomTom to have Billy Connolly as the voice. He’s really entertaining and brightens up the journey. My suggestion would be to concentrate on the overall quality of the car and not to worry too much whether it had a Sat Nav or not. :)

biojo

Satnav; With or without?

Post by biojo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm

I wouldnt choose a zed for a reason of having or not having one.

Yes its the one thing on car i wouldnt want to break, as theres no real after market solution.

But with custom firmware and upto date map software, its gets you there, but i do like the fact when im driving to work, you can look at roads and see where there standing due to accidents.

But if you like having your phone on dash that would be more accurate, i just tend to have mine in my pocket unless its a long jurney

Gwest44

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Gwest44 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Definitely without - I have it in mine with the digital TV capability but would much rather have the clean lines on the dash.

Anything of that nature dates and based on the fact the cars are already 12 years old and the intention on purchase is to retain them for a significant period I would always favour the none display option.
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Satnav; With or without?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I've never had it in any car, so can't really comment on using it!

But I'd never put it on my list of essentials when looking for cars over a decade old - it's easier to just stick my Garmin in whichever car I am using (Z4 or daily).
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

oldgitdave

Satnav; With or without?

Post by oldgitdave » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Totally can't see the point of having it in a Z4 with Google maps "online" nav available on your mobile. Though if the right car came along I wouldn't dismiss just because it has it. The built in satnag in my X1 is really superb however with real time & online updates until it's 3 years old included. After that though, if I keep it, I'll have to pay :cry: . Personally I'd resent paying a monthly or annual fee. I guess the Z4 doesn't have that option, or does it :idunno:
Zedless :(