Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SC N52

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Cirstu

SC N52

Post by Cirstu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Has anyone fitted a supercharger kit to their N52?

Silverzedtom

SC N52

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm

There’s a couple of guys on YouTube that have done it without problems. And a few more 3 series owners. There aren’t many because in all honesty the n52 can’t take the boost that a powerful SC would offer. As you’ve probably read it’s generally more economical to change the car.

I looked at the ESS for a while but nobody’s written files for the n52B25

I’m toying with the idea of adding a bottle of nitrous oxide with pretty low power shots. Wizards of nos is a handy website for info. It’s a hell of a saving over a supercharger and although a refil is expensive people are getting over 6 months to a bottle with it constantly switched on.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Cirstu

SC N52

Post by Cirstu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 am

Many thanks Silverzedtom for your reply shall look at this more and let you know what I decide......

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

SC N52

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:02 pm There aren’t many because in all honesty the n52 can’t take the boost that a powerful SC would offer.
I know a person at bmw hinted on this but I wonder how much of this is based on fact and how much on speculation. The n52 has some block aspects that are different (and I'm not talking about the magnesium/aluminium alloy) but it also has some aspects that suggest its stronger (larger diameter rodbearings for example; not that that is a problem on the m54 but still...)
As you’ve probably read it’s generally more economical to change the car.
For the e9x platform (and also 1 series I guess) this is certainly true because that also came with the boosted n54 engine, but for the e85 platform this never was an option. (only a z4m has more power but also the additional cost and quite a few other technical niggles)
So in my view this ess kit is especially and above all interesting for e85/86 owners. Also the e85/86 is a car that (imho, at least on the mainland) held its value far better than contemporary 3/1 series with the same n52b30 engine so its a more attractive car to invest in.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Cirstu

SC N52

Post by Cirstu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:55 pm

It is a 2008 E86 si and just hit 32000, so feel that it is in good shape to increase the output if realistic , now interested in what power output others have managed to increase in the last few years. Just upgraded to a new LSD and new more efficient braking, 356x32 6pot front, 330x28 4pot rears . Resale value is not really an issue as the car has and will stay with the family so just selling for something else is not what we are looking at.
Thanks Guy`s for all the input so far......

Silverzedtom

SC N52

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm

GuidoK is right, when you look into the N52’s boost potential it’s hard to gauge how much power it can take, as people have only added the fairly low power blowers that are available in kit form.

It is the magnesium that scares me a bit though.

To be honest my research has come to a stop as I’m not at a point where I can drop the cash and dedicate time on a pricey mod like SC’s / nitrous right now but I’m thinking the B25 might take to boost better in terms of power gained as the block is likely built to the same spec as the B30 just with a smaller bore. Don’t know for sure, didn’t get quite that far. And either way it doesn’t help you much with your B30.

Really interested to see what route you go down assuming you think it’s worth the cash, and also how much power you can safely get.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Cirstu

SC N52

Post by Cirstu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Just had an email from back from Kevin at https://esstuning.com/ess-n52-vt1-super ... tem-gen-2/ this sounds promising...