Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pick'n'mix Suspension coils?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Genie

Post by Genie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Hello

As with most second hand cars, it is difficult to gauge what has been played with by the previous owners.

Something I didn't notice when I bought the car was the ride height. It was not something I noticed as the tyres that were on the car were massive and closed the gap. I have since reverted back to wheels and tyres of the correct spec and the issues become more apparent. Looking at my spec sheet, I am supposed to have M-Sport suspension, and this doesn't look right - The rears sit noticeably higher than the front

The top photo is after rear lowering springs were fitted, bottom is before.
Z4 suspension.jpg
Z4 suspension.jpg (275.22 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
The rears are now lower than the front. I only lowered the rears as I feel the fronts sit at a good height and the rears were too high. They look the same from the photos, but that is due to the road camber. They are currently sitting about 20mm lower than the front on level ground.

When investigating, I noted the front O/S spring to have the part number 31336760621. They seem clean and possibly replaced prior to my ownership. After lots of googling, I found that these may be the correct springs. Equivalent would be Suplex 06247 (without options?)

The rears, however, sit much higher than the fronts. I suspected these are SE springs. There are some numbers on the springs, 627112791 - I don't think these are the part numbers. A google search doesn't return much, but I did find the same numbers printed on some M-Sport springs from a 3.0i. I am unable to determine if I did indeed have M-Sport springs, in which case, why were they sitting so high?

The goal is to have the rears with the same arch gap as the front. I just wanted to make sure that there is not any underlying problem and that it was just mismatched coils.

Regards

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Did you do it yourself? Have you driven it yet? Mine took some time to settle (short drive). Same happens when you jack the car up.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 am

100% SE springs/SE replacement springs on the rear of your car :thumbsup: It's a common thing as the OEM rear springs snap, so many owners go to eurocarparts and purchase new rear springs, without realising they aren't for m-sport equipped Z4's.

Get some eibach springs fitted if you want a nice, but subtle drop. I like the way mine sits on them. When I replaced my shock absorbers, the ride raised by about 10mm all round, which shows how tired my old shocks were.
_20180928_154801.JPG
_20180928_154801.JPG (161.05 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Genie

Post by Genie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm

kis wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm Did you do it yourself? Have you driven it yet? Mine took some time to settle (short drive). Same happens when you jack the car up.
Yes. It was about 10 minutes each side. Ive done about 50 miles after lowering.
ben g wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 am 100% SE springs/SE replacement springs on the rear of your car :thumbsup: It's a common thing as the OEM rear springs snap, so many owners go to eurocarparts and purchase new rear springs, without realising they aren't for m-sport equipped Z4's.
Thanks, had no idea the rear springs were so prone to snapping. I guess the numbers printed on the springs are for SE springs? Would you happen to know what numbers I should be looking for on M-Sport springs?
ben g wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 am
Get some eibach springs fitted if you want a nice, but subtle drop. I like the way mine sits on them. When I replaced my shock absorbers, the ride raised by about 10mm all round, which shows how tired my old shocks were.

_20180928_154801.JPG
That looks fantastic. What colour are your wheels? The Eibach springs certainly look great, but I fear it may be a little too low for the roads in my area. Something near the rear is already scraping when going over speed bumps. Will see how I get on for now. Thank you.