Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Getting a Z4/Z4M Buyers Advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 am

Hi everyone,

As of yesterday I have started to look at Z4's , with the Z4M being the target model. I was hoping that the members could give me some tips and advice when it comes to buying a Z4/Z4M.

My Poppa until recently had an E46 M3 Individual. The previous owner basically ran the car on a shoestring, so my old man ended up getting heaps done to make it all right.

With the Z4M sharing the same engine as the M3's , do the Z4M's also suffer with VANOS issues or had BMW manage to sort a lot of the flaws the original engine had? On an Autocar article about buying a Z4M, it states that BMW really got things sorted and that they are actually a pretty reliable unit?

From what I have found online, the Z4M has a lot of the parts from the E46 M3 CSL. Am I correct in thinking it's the engine and brakes that are from the CSL? Are getting replacement parts going to be an issue down the line?

With Poppa's E46 M3, it was suffering with a few areas of rust, which I've not seen on other BMW's of that time. Does the Z4 have any areas that are prone to rust?

Thanks to the people who are able to post some good advice on what to look out for.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am

The Z4M runs exactly the same engine hardware as the E46 M3 apart from the exhaust which lacks the resonater box. The airbox is also a slightly different shape but thats it, VANOS is identical. Nothing like the M3 CSL in terms of breathing or much else for that matter. The Z4M runs a different ecu though.

You do get rust on Z4’s in similar areas to the E46 but generally being a bit newer and more of a weekend car they tend to fair better.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm

ph001 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am The Z4M runs exactly the same engine hardware as the E46 M3 apart from the exhaust which lacks the resonater box. The airbox is also a slightly different shape but thats it, VANOS is identical. Nothing like the M3 CSL in terms of breathing or much else for that matter. The Z4M runs a different ecu though.

You do get rust on Z4’s in similar areas to the E46 but generally being a bit newer and more of a weekend car they tend to fair better.
Thanks for that ph001.