Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Incar HiFi solution anyone?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Thunderous One

Post by Thunderous One » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi all, 1st I’m a newbie to the Z4 but not to BMW
Just to give you a little history, for over 20 years I have only driven E36’s and 3 of those were M3’s.
So doing a hifi upgrade is easy peasy.

Now I have a Z4 coupe.
I have kept my Alpine iPod incar stereo from my previous cars as it just does all I need it to do and does them well.
However, my Z4 has the satnav, so swapping the CD player looks like it’s not an option? Or can I still swap the head unit but just lose control of the satnav (don’t use it anyway)
Also, I want to fit and active sub in the boot, but cannot figure out a route for the hifi lead from the dash to the boot?

Has anyone got any ideas, suggestions or pictures that I can see?
Thanks guys :D
BMW E36 Compact “Dakar Yellow” (sold to make way for Z4 Coupe)
BMW E36 M3 Evo Vert (sold due to hit & run)
BMW E36 M3 Evo Vert (stolen written off)
BMW E36 M3 Evo Saloon (sold to buy Vert)
BMW E36 318is Coupe (sold to buy M3)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Yes you can replace the head7nit and just loose the screen function.

Have you got DSP? If so it makes it more complicated.

There is a hole in the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. Feed the cable down under the centre console. Bit time consuming but easy enough to do.

Thunderous One

Post by Thunderous One » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply
I figured I would lose the use of the heads up satnav display but will it still pop up and give details?
Too, forgive my next stupid question but what is DSP? How do I know if I have DSP?
Really do appreciate th3 advice, suggestions and responses.

Ah, just thought of another, I have taken not of your suggestion of using the Center console for the phono lead that comes from the car stereo to the sub in the boot, but how does the lead exit the center console into the boot of a coupe?

Cheers, James

pcube

Post by pcube » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Google for a vin checker, key in your vin and it will list what options your car comes with. If it shows Top Hifi (677) then you've got a DSP amp.

You will not get any display on your nav screen once you switch out the original headunit. You can run the wires for an active sub under the trim of the centre console all the way to the boot.

Thunderous One

Post by Thunderous One » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 pm

pcube wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm Google for a vin checker, key in your vin and it will list what options your car comes with. If it shows Top Hifi (677) then you've got a DSP amp.

You will not get any display on your nav screen once you switch out the original headunit. You can run the wires for an active sub under the trim of the centre console all the way to the boot.
nice one
Appreciate the advice and will check it out tomorrow
Had I done some research on the Satnav head unit then I would have held out for a Z4 without the nav
I just presumed it to be a simple replacing of heads

I want to link my iPod classic so as to get audio and charge the iPod, as well as link an active sub in the boot, using the stock satnav and head unit, what advice would you offer?

BMW Wollaston offered a Schmiedmann unit at £220 and £170 to fit it! :roll:

Even though I purchased my Coupe in May and replaced the waterpump and just last week replaced two rear tyres with mich P4 sports and both front discs and pads I’m already thinking of selling to get a coupe without the nav, though I don’t really want to do this, but, music is important to me. I’m 50 and did the whole clubbing scene of UK from 85-2005, so yeh, music is a deffo important factor.

At the moment I’m using the aux and iPod headphone out.
The volume of the stock system is not that great and there simply is hardly and low end frequency

I don’t mind travelling or spending if I can get the right features and sound.
I still have my loyal Alpine iDA-X300 that is fantastic and getting an active sub again is no issue.

Sorry if I went on a bit lol, it’s just that for nearly 20 years I’ve been an E36 man.

Anyway ALL advice is very much appreciated and welcome

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 pm

If all you want is to connect a iPod classic (which is what I have connected) then leave as is and fit an intravee and alpine kca420.

Pete-r

Post by Pete-r » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm

:rofl: This is going to sound crazy but bear with me...

If I were doing this (and I might if I end up getting a Z4 with nav) I would split the systems and run two in the car.

If you run a jack to phono to the amp but replace the amp with an audison bit8.9 (or helix DSP if you feel flush) you can use the nav, radio or cd as normal but have full parametric EQ and time correction and go active etc. If you run the LR phonos into splitters you'll keep fade and balance as normal, that said the amps I think allow you to run a 2ch source into 4 but don't quote me on that.

Then... Separately connect a fiiox3/5/7 (again depending on budget) for the best audio performance. When the fiio is turned off you get the OEM audio, switch it on and if configured on the amp it'll take over on a digital connection.

Win-win :-)

pcube

Post by pcube » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 am

It really depends on how much of an audiophile you are. IMO every component of the stock sound system (even the top of the line DSP option) is terrible. Not saying that good sound cannot be achieved, but it will mean a total overhaul - minimally amp and speakers.

pcube

Post by pcube » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am

Pete-r wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm :rofl: This is going to sound crazy but bear with me...

If I were doing this (and I might if I end up getting a Z4 with nav) I would split the systems and run two in the car.

If you run a jack to phono to the amp but replace the amp with an audison bit8.9 (or helix DSP if you feel flush) you can use the nav, radio or cd as normal but have full parametric EQ and time correction and go active etc. If you run the LR phonos into splitters you'll keep fade and balance as normal, that said the amps I think allow you to run a 2ch source into 4 but don't quote me on that.

Then... Separately connect a fiiox3/5/7 (again depending on budget) for the best audio performance. When the fiio is turned off you get the OEM audio, switch it on and if configured on the amp it'll take over on a digital connection.

There's no need to split the LR inputs since the amp/processor should be able to configure fade and balance. Also not sure about the fiio... spotify from a smart phone seems like a pretty simple solution.

Thunderous One

Post by Thunderous One » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Hey guys
Really appreciate ALL the advice provided and I’m sifting through my options
It just reassures me that joining this forum was the best choice I have made and only regret I had not joined it earlier.
I truly value everyone’s opinion and input
All I can say is a simple and humble, thankyou. :D

Pete-r

Post by Pete-r » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 pm

pcube wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am
Pete-r wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm :rofl: This is going to sound crazy but bear with me...

There's no need to split the LR inputs since the amp/processor should be able to configure fade and balance. Also not sure about the fiio... spotify from a smart phone seems like a pretty simple solution.
Could do that too, it depends how audiophile you want to get. Fiio can run Waze which is like a hi res Spotify.

pcube

Post by pcube » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Pete-r wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 pm
Could do that too, it depends how audiophile you want to get. Fiio can run Waze which is like a hi res Spotify.
Ummm waze is a navigation app... that happens to integrate with spotify.

Pete-r

Post by Pete-r » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 pm

My mistake mixing up my apps. Tidal is the app I meant to say.