Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Facelift seats in pre facelift

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Grose

Post by Grose » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 pm

I have managed to find some facelift m sport seats and have fitted them to my pre facelift.
I stupidly forgot to plug the passenger side connector in before reconnecting the battery and now have the dreaded airbag warning light.
Has anyone done the facelift into pre facelift swap?
Is it a case of a simple error reset with software or do I need to make any other changes?
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks
15 year young 100k Sterling Grey 2.5i E85
New shocks, springs, brakes, bushes, seats, wheels and just about anything I can think of renewing - project nearly complete

Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:42 am

I put some 2007 seats into my 2004 with no problems at all. No air bag lights but did plug all connections in before battery was connected
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

Grose

Post by Grose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 am

Ok, thanks. So hopefully an airbag light reset is all that is needed.

I have read some other threads and got a little confused. Some have swapped over the black box/sensor, added a bypass, swapped mats etc! Was just hoping to get some clear guidance!
New shocks, springs, brakes, bushes, seats, wheels and just about anything I can think of renewing - project nearly complete

Monaco84

Post by Monaco84 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am

Hi,

you need:

# option 1:
airbag simulator 10GBP at ebay, passenger airbags always open in case of an accident, because the system thinks the passenger seat is occupied

# option 2:
coding (0-25GBP), passenger airbags always open in case of an accident, because the system thinks the passenger seat is occupied

# option 3:
OEM Z4 M-Seat Pre-Facelift seat occupancy matt from BMW (~90GBP plus labour), everything works as it should.

In my opinion there is only option 3.

Kind regards
Patrick
2009-2016: Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster
2016-????: Z4M E86 Coupé

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:58 am

Monaco84 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am Hi,

you need:

# option 1:
airbag simulator 10GBP at ebay, passenger airbags always open in case of an accident, because the system thinks the passenger seat is occupied

# option 2:
coding (0-25GBP), passenger airbags always open in case of an accident, because the system thinks the passenger seat is occupied

# option 3:
OEM Z4 M-Seat Pre-Facelift seat occupancy matt from BMW (~90GBP plus labour), everything works as it should.

In my opinion there is only option 3.

Kind regards
Patrick

Id think resetting the airbag light once connected would work.

Grose

Post by Grose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am

Maybe I will try and reset the light first and go from there.

New mat etc sounds like a pita but loving the seats so keen to get sorted!

Grose

Post by Grose » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Update - Airbag light reset and all is working fine. Driven a good few miles and no signs of it returning.

So, certainly in my case anyway - facelift m sport seats replaced my pre facelift 'sports' seats without any need for modification.

Had I not been so stupid to reconnect the battery too early, it would have been dead simple!