Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise Control wiring diagram

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
FunkyJunky

Post by FunkyJunky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the cruise control on an E85

I have a 2003 Z4 3.0 and understand from other posts that it is quite simple to add cruise control by just adding a control stalk, as all the wiring is already installed, so just connects to an existing socket in the steering column.

I am guessing that the stalk just contains a number of switches to set the various modes, speed, on, off etc

Not willing to pay the £100+ for a switch, was thinking of doing some DIY with switches if I could understand the wiring (ie which connections within the existing socked do what, and what the control stalk movements do to open/close the various wires.

Any help or information much appreciated

Thanks in anticipation

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm

I cannot help you with the wiring diagram but check eBay, forum etc for a used stalk.

I recently paid £40 for one

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm

The switch is 4 way with a button on the end as well. It’s only 3 wires, on to the ECU and the other two to the LCM (light control module) so basically all the stalk functions are controlled through 2 wires.

That’s going to be a challenge.

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Not totally convinced that a homebrew way of setting your car to a particular speed is a very good idea! I would ask your insurance company about that one! :o I have fitted cruise to my E86 and is very easy to do, but I used genuine parts.
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Agree. There is more to it than just a momentary switch or two.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 am

The wiring diags don't specify the switch signals. You'd be looking at raspberry pi type work to get simple switches operating. As a project, great, if you just want cruise, buy the stalk.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.