Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hard top - northampton

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Astie

Hard top - northampton

Post by Astie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 pm

I'd like one too. I just present the business case.

The major components:
front coupling mechanism.
Rear locating pins
Heated rear window. We can change the mould to suit a window, so one which is large, low cost and high quality is our target.

If you have any suggestions then add them to the pot, any help on bringing these costs down helps reduce the final price.

We dont generally do business to consumer sales but this could be a small project that could get approval. Especially with a group but scenario.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Hard top - northampton

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 pm

I think you could make the front lock simpler - it's really just two hooks. The OE hardtop has these actuated from a single point, no reason why they couldn't be separate latches.

Some might be interested in no lining?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

captpicar

Hard top - northampton

Post by captpicar » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:28 am

I'd be interested in one too.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Hard top - northampton

Post by kis » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

Might be worth changing the title too? Who'd be interested in an e85 Carbon Fibre hard top? Might create more interest and views to the page/idea? While you're there I'd create a poll to easily gauge the interest. Then we can see how close to 30 we can get.

For what it's worth I think the existing hardtop has a large curved screen and is very hard to replace if damaged. It's also easy to damage the bottom of the glass as there is no protection? So maybe this is worth looking into and improving?
While on the subject of hardtop glass, maybe there is something off the shelf that you can use and integrate it into your top? Doesn't necessarily need to be from a BMW either? MX5? S2000? Will help with reducing costs IMO.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Rockittman

Hard top - northampton

Post by Rockittman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Just to add my vote to this, +1! I’d be interested in this, I’ve been considering a hard top now my zed has left its life of luxury in a garage and is braving the elements on a drive all year round.