Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Change?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Winter Change?

Post by Steve84N » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am I change to 17” wheels with Michelin cross climate tyres, seem a good compromise as they have a wider operating temperature range than winters (14c and less I think)
Rob
Crossover tyres really don't seem worth it as they are only marginally better than summer and the gap to how much better winter tyres are is still huge.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Winter Change?

Post by mmm-five » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Steve84N wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:39 pmCrossover tyres really don't seem worth it as they are only marginally better than summer and the gap to how much better winter tyres are is still huge.
You've obviously never read/seen the reviews of the newest summer-biased winter tyres then! Watch out for some all-seasons though as they can be a bit crap in the hot/dry conditions (relatively of course).

Winter performance:

All Season performance:

There's Michelin CrossClimate+, Continental AllSeasonContact, and Goodyear Vector4Seasons, and they all work well in snow, and have the 'mountain' symbol on as they've passed the relevant tests and are legal to use in any European country where they are mandated!

Obviously they're not as good as a full winter tyre, but they have other features which make them perfect for the UK seasons (e.g. better wet performance than most winters, better dry performance than ALL winters, better wear rates than most winters, lower road noise than most winters, don't have to have a 2nd set of wheels or faff around with swapping them over twice a year).

Everyone will have a different set of circumstances they need the car/tyre for.

I've got CrossClimates on the Alfa (as the Z4MC has been retired from daily duties after 150,000 miles) - and that does 25,000+ miles a year of B-road blasts (ask some of the National meet attendees on here to see if they thought the Alfa had a lack of grip in either hot summer or wet summer driving), early/late season Ring trips (including 20 laps), and survived happily through the 'Beast from the East'.

I couldn't do that on just a set of summers or a set of winters - I'd have to have both - and in the case of the off-season Ring trips/track days or dry/warm winter days, I'd have to carry both sets (not easy in a Z4MC) - so the summer-biased winters are perfect for me.

In 30 years, I've never been stuck in winter in any car on summer tyres (including my Corrado VR6, Polo G40, BMW M5). I've also never left the house in the Z4 when there's been 4 inches of snow on the ground.

Here's the car in Wales on 2nd Jan 2009 (a month after I bought it) - on 19" Pilot Sport 2:

Here's the car a couple of months later (on the same tyres) when I drove the 60 miles to the supplying dealer to get my service book stamped with a missing service (just before they closed when half their local staff couldn't make it in):
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Steve84N

Winter Change?

Post by Steve84N » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 pm

That comparison is biased by using a lower grip summer tyre that is designed to last longer instead. Use something like a PS4 and other than snow it will be better.

My comments are based on reviews...

Here you can clearly see that all season is not much better than summer and the step up to winter is still significant.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44sT6Ew12Us

I maintain that other than actual snow or ice you don't need winter tyres and all season are a waste of time. If you have to be able to drive on the odd day we get snow then get winters (or snow socks).
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

NickDE

Winter Change?

Post by NickDE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Winter tyres on my Z4C and 3 series Touring. So much more grip in cold and wet conditions. Only way to get home in snowy conditions.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Winter Change?

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 pm

I don’t know anyone who has used winter rubber and not continued to do so every year!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Steve84N

Winter Change?

Post by Steve84N » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Just found a video of the Michelin Cross Climate doing well on snow, have to admit I was impressed.

However, I still don't feel I need winters to get through the UK. If we see snow more regularly then I'll change my mind. Winters might be better in winter but it's a fair bit of expense and hassle.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

NickDE

Winter Change?

Post by NickDE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

The key is in the name.
Winter Tyres.
Summer Tyres.
Guess which one you're supposed to use when.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Winter Change?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 pm I don’t know anyone who has used winter rubber and not continued to do so every year!
Exactly, I first had winters in November 2015 and have fitted them every winter since.

My 123d on "summers" in 2010 was less useful than a chocolate teapot! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black