Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Fog Lamps...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
markprz86

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by markprz86 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 am

An age old topic of the E86 fog lamp....

I have just purchased a Z4C from Cridfords in Surrey, then have kindly replaced the front fogs due to the previous ones misting up/corroding, like they all do.

Is there a way of sealing this unit so water cannot get in?

Surely with enough mastic/silicone around any areas where two parts join would solve this problem?

I'll await the torrent to frustrated Z4 owners replies.... :rofl:

Thanks!

rally-chris

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by rally-chris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:48 am

IMO the only place that water can get in is at the joint between the bulb holder and the back of the light. Over time the rubber seal hardens and becomes less effective, particularly if the bulb is removed for replacement and doesn’t re seal properly. I would recommend putting some silicone grease on the rubber seal on your new lights to help them seal and this is what I did on mine when I replaced the fog lights.

The alternative is to drill a couple of small drain holes in the underside of the body of the light so that any water that gets in can at least dry out again quickly, but you probably don’t want to do that to brand new lights!

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

rally-chris

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by rally-chris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:51 am

You should also make sure that the lower access panel cover in the wheel arch liner is fitted, and that it fits well. Otherwise water can be thrown off the tyre directly at the bulb holder on the back of the fog light. New covers are only about £15 if you need to replace (typically the quarter turn fasteners break off).

markprz86

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by markprz86 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks for the info, Chris.

When you say applying silicone grease to the rubber seal of the fog lamp, does this mean separating the unit to do so?

rally-chris

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by rally-chris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:53 am

No, just twist the bulb holder to release the lamp from the back of the light and then apply grease to the seal and refit.

Chris

rally-chris

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by rally-chris » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:53 am

(All of which you can do through the access panel in the wheel arch)

craigbeal

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by craigbeal » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 pm

markprz86 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 am An age old topic of the E86 fog lamp....

I have just purchased a Z4C from Cridfords in Surrey, then have kindly replaced the front fogs due to the previous ones misting up/corroding, like they all do.

Is there a way of sealing this unit so water cannot get in?

Surely with enough mastic/silicone around any areas where two parts join would solve this problem?

I'll await the torrent to frustrated Z4 owners replies.... :rofl:

Thanks!
i ended up having to buy the blank lights after giving up

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Front Fog Lamps...

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Mine were fine when I bought it, but after a year or so they started to steam up. :(

I drilled three 3mm holes in the bottom and they stay clear now - so hopefully the reflectors won't rot. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black