Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I bin dun summing dumb....!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
z4too4

Post by z4too4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 am

Hi, I bought my Z4 sight unseen (well I saw a walk around video, and it had to be driven up to me). No regrets but I expected a bit of the unexpected.
IMG_20180921_070901.jpg
IMG_20180921_070901.jpg (178.94 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Having had a few cars you probably know all this but, in no particular order.
* Pour water down the back corner of the hood to see if water leaks to to floor properly through the drain holes.
* Check the hood cutout microswitch in the boot and the light microswitch in the inbetween seats cubby
* Check the hood interior/exterior cover for holes where it may have got caught/pinched during open close.
* Ideally on a warmish day, check if the steering auto centers correctly.
* They rattle like crazy, but listen out for something not right.
* Check all the plastic under cowlings for cracks etc.
* Remove the front wheel cowlings and check the light housing is well, covered properly.
* Pour water down the windows and boot to see it if ends up in the car.
* While engine running, turn the wheels full lock and listen.
* Open and shut the roof and listen. It shouldn't sound like s childs rattle.
* Check all interior lights, exterior lights function engine on/engine off.
* Check for any mods... Wheels, suspension, fuel, engine, electrical etc.
* Check paintwork all over for dents, defects and internal rust.
* Check all the vents work
* Check the electric windows are smooth and quiet in operation.
* Check window glass for scratches.
* Check headlight housing for internal condensation/leaks
* Remove and replace petrol cap to see whether Engine Management Light goes on.
* Attach an OBD2 scanner and read codes.
* Check engine bay for leaks.
* Check condition of interior trim, ... Doors, seats even behind them, carpets, glove box and between seat cubby hole, window pilllar and window top trim for cracks and splits by looking under the sun visors.
* Heated seats work.... Winter is coming.
* Wheels rims and tyres.
* Take it down a bumpy (not pot holes) road...you should be able to find one easily.
* Check radio and speakers work and sound ok.
* Gear stick, handbrake, steering wheel operation and condition of leather
* Check front and rear bumpers are secured correctly... Clips are easily broken.

Enjoy 🙂
2004 Z4 E85 2.2i SE, Black Sapphire, Heated Dream Red Leather, Cruise
Plus
- Android 7.1.2, Touch, Voice, Navi, GPS, 3G/4G, Rear Camera, Dashcam, DVD, FM, Aux, USB, WiFi, BT, Phone, OBD2
- Parking sensors
- Wind deflector
- Fitted rubber mats
- LED bulbs

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am

Don't panic. A 3.0 with 11 stamps in the book seems a reasonable start.
Put the reg no. through the MOT CHECKER just to see how it's been getting on in life :thumbsup:

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 pm
FlashPilot wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm an E36 Alpina (should never have sold it), an E28 535i,
E28 535i....another one you never should have sold....

To see what options you got from factory, just put the last 7 digits of your vin into a bmw vin decoder and you'll see the complete spec:
http://bimmer.work/
https://www.bvzine.com/

As for engine/car issues, there are now hardly any issues that these cars can have that cost serious money, if you can do them yourself.
For most of the problems cheap fixes are available (cheap parts or cheap aftermarket fixes)
Most common problems:
Engine:
vanos problems: replace vanos teflon rings (rebuild kit)
disa problems: new disa or disa rebuild kit
Leaky oil filter housing gasket, leaky valve cover gasket
leaking/cracked coolant tank

Suspension/steering:
Sticky steering: add extra grease or reset gearspacing by turning an eccentric ring
Front control arm bushings

Body/interior
Roof hydraulic motor corrosion due to clogged roof drains: relocate roof motor to the boot: do this as a preventive measure! (multiple privateers/1 man businesses on this forum do this service for a small fee)
Cracked rear brakelight: when fitting a new brakelight, either fit softer springs or be careful when tensioning bolts
Windshield wiper motor assembly can have worn ball links: there is a retaining clip for sale or fix something with a ring and a nut/bolt. When having the parafran removed, adding grease to these steel/rubber balllinks wil prolongue its life.
Take good care of all seals in to the boot (bootlid, no cracked rear brakelight etc. When water collects in the boot, it drains to the batterycompartment which also houses the amplifier to the more expensive stereo systems. Replacing that amplifier (usually water damage) is very expensive.
very good list i'll add to it

wipers can rise up high. think it's to do with grease. however the scuttle panel will break all it's clips when removing so i'd leave it tbh unless your scuttle panel is already loose.

the wire that sends the signal to the radiator fan can turn to dust. so it needs replacing every so often.

get a decent battery and keep it charged. the batter will make sensors go off. i used to have alarm and autobox issues until i got a new battery.

lots of rattles and possible leaks in cabin.

108 alloys are expensive to refurb. rear springs usually go and best replacing drop links and bushes too.

parking sensors will stop working. only fix is to replace them all with new ones off ebay. however they will need spraying. they work intermittently with age so that is why best to replace them all. even if only 1 is showing a fault.