Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is a Coupé Worth?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4 COUPSTER

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Beerman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 pm I'm another new member on the look out for a nice Z4 Coupe. No need for a new thread as this already touches on valuations.

I must admit that I'm a little lost where some people find their valuations. All the recent ones hitting Autotrader and Pistonheads are all more expensive that the ones not selling already. If they aren't selling they are too expensive.

The same cars are cycling over and over on eBay and Gumtree without selling. The people that have started auctions without a reserve never get anywhere near what they want.

I want and nice car and I'm willing to pay sensible money. It just seems as if a few dealers are trying to push prices up and it's influencing private sellers to follow. The prices are well above guide prices and a huge gap above what could be recovered by trading in. If I bought I top price car it would take months to find the next guy willing to do so when I come to sell. It seems risky.

What's the general consensus on real values and real selling prices?

It will be down to your choice and bartering skills, I also feel they hold up more in the Winter, it's Vice Versa with the roadsters. As I said look on here and don't he afraid to hit the private sellers hard. I knocked a grand off mine when I bought, but I'm a hard seller and even harder buyer.
I hope this helps.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Beerman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 pm I'm another new member on the look out for a nice Z4 Coupe. No need for a new thread as this already touches on valuations.

I must admit that I'm a little lost where some people find their valuations. All the recent ones hitting Autotrader and Pistonheads are all more expensive that the ones not selling already. If they aren't selling they are too expensive.

The same cars are cycling over and over on eBay and Gumtree without selling. The people that have started auctions without a reserve never get anywhere near what they want.

I want and nice car and I'm willing to pay sensible money. It just seems as if a few dealers are trying to push prices up and it's influencing private sellers to follow. The prices are well above guide prices and a huge gap above what could be recovered by trading in. If I bought I top price car it would take months to find the next guy willing to do so when I come to sell. It seems risky.

What's the general consensus on real values and real selling prices?
I think the Si coupes are pretty easy to price based on year / miles / spec / history & condition ( this only reveals itself on viewing as 99% of sellers say the cars are "mint" when they aren't :roll: )

So what would you consider "sensible" money :wink: throw up a example or 2
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Beerman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Beerman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I don't want to insult people too much. :rofl:

For example I enquired about a private sale for £12,500 last week. The guy made it sound like a genuine top end car. It did have less than 50k.

Using a few valuation guides they all came back with £9200-9800 for a private sale. I'd pay a bit of a premium for a really nice car, but not £12,500. Trade in prices were as low as £7000.

After a quick search the car had passed hands twice over recent months and for £11,000 from a dealer late last year. The next thing I found out was the car had been serviced 3 times in 12 years. Apparently that is a full service history. I dread to think what 4-5 year oil is like and what wear it's caused to the engine.

Is expecting a good condition car, with good history and less than 70k miles, unrealistic for £10,000?

I do feel that too many owners have exaggerated the condition of their car. I appreciate they are 9-12 year old cars, but some of the very low mileage cars have had wear and tear well in excess of what I would expect to see.

Tyreman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Tyreman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Valuations on vehicles of this type and age in my mind are pointless as they are only worth what people are prepared to pay.

The reality is that as nice as a lot of the cars for sale may be there are more for sale than actual genuine buyers......some sell quickly if there happens to be a a buyer in the same geographical area but most are for sale for a long long time !

Most people are looking for "their" perfect example but most aren't prepared to pay for the premium.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Beerman wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm I don't want to insult people too much. :rofl:

For example I enquired about a private sale for £12,500 last week. The guy made it sound like a genuine top end car. It did have less than 50k.

Using a few valuation guides they all came back with £9200-9800 for a private sale. I'd pay a bit of a premium for a really nice car, but not £12,500. Trade in prices were as low as £7000.

After a quick search the car had passed hands twice over recent months and for £11,000 from a dealer late last year. The next thing I found out was the car had been serviced 3 times in 12 years. Apparently that is a full service history. I dread to think what 4-5 year oil is like and what wear it's caused to the engine.

Is expecting a good condition car, with good history and less than 70k miles, unrealistic for £10,000?

I do feel that too many owners have exaggerated the condition of their car. I appreciate they are 9-12 year old cars, but some of the very low mileage cars have had wear and tear well in excess of what I would expect to see.
There will be a car for you , just be ready to travel & be braced that there may be minor things that will need sorting & that's you 75% of the way to owning one .
70k Si Coupes around £10k ? Id say between £9k & no more than £10k but reality is one 70k car may be a dog , one may be a minter so you would happily pay £1500 difference .
How many have you viewed / driven ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Tyreman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Tyreman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Price and mileage aren't also automatically a true indication of condition.......sometimes worth being a little flexible on your criteria :thumbsup:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Jembo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm

You’ll know when you come across a good’un, with additional servicing & care, as these are the ones which are pushing up the prices... anticipate you may have to pay over the ‘guide price’ for these because as you have already found, many don’t have the history people are really after & those that do, these sellers know this.

Just be patient, it’ll come along...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Beerman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Beerman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 pm

I have viewed and driven a few.

Distance is my problem which usually requires me asking the sellers to be honest. To be fair the people that have responded have provided pictures of things of note. The issue is they all end up having a massive list of damage and wear.

Service histories have been really poor. Most claim to have full histories, but don't..

I have no issues travelling. Done it numerous times before and will do again. With the Z4 Coupe I know there is little chance of one landing on my doorstep.

This is probably the best condition car(in photographs) I've seen.

http://leestatecars.co.uk/stock.php?item=5

The leather, history and condition all look great. The issue is 97k miles is a lot and I would have to change the runflats at my cost.. The 100k barrier is off putting to a lot of people. The car has been up for sale for a few months now. The dealer is obviously struggling to move it.

One thing that didn't sit too well was the dealer had an MOT carried out and he got zero advisories. It was tested just a couple of months before and the suspension bushes were flagged up as worn. He wasn't convincing that they'd be addressed.

I've no idea why I can't quote. I'm getting an error.

Tyreman...... I am a bit flexible. I am thinking long term when I come to sell. I know how mileage does deter a huge amount of people.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Well Beerman you can't knock the prep + presentation & a 1 owner car too , whilst that isn't a cert of a good car clearly in this case it does look well kept . http://leestatecars.co.uk/stock.php?item=5
Would i want £10k in 100k coupe ? absolutely not so if it was me id keep looking but then again ive seen many many good cars come & go so not worried that they aren't out there
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Well Beerman you can't knock the prep + presentation & a 1 owner car too , whilst that isn't a cert of a good car clearly in this case it does look well kept . http://leestatecars.co.uk/stock.php?item=5
Would i want £10k in 100k coupe ? absolutely not so if it was me id keep looking but then again ive seen many many good cars come & go so not worried that they aren't out there
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Beerman, no way would I want to spend £12K on a Z4C even if it had less than 50K miles on it!

After all the majority of them are 10 years old now, so even 80K miles is low!

And if you aren't going to do loads of miles you don't really need to find a low-miler - but if you are going to pile on miles a low-miler is just going to shed value the more you use it!

You mention 70K miles and £10K - there was a link to this one on the first page of this thread but it was before you joined it so I've put it on again:- viewtopic.php?f=41&t=108697

OK it's 75K miles, but well below £10K! (FWIW I've seen the car a few times and it seems like a really good example to me).

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Djcla

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Djcla » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Looks tidy that car above, mileage on these doesn't bother me to much so long as it's been looked after. When I was looking the service history was always sketchy as they tend to be done on mileage rather than every 1 or 2 years . I paid more than I wanted too for nine but it ticked all the boxes I had for colour, spec, condition history etc. so worth the premium for me. I think you just know when it's the right car.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Djcla wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:37 pm Looks tidy that car above,
It is - and I should know! :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Beerman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Beerman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 pm Beerman, no way would I want to spend £12K on a Z4C even if it had less than 50K miles on it!

After all the majority of them are 10 years old now, so even 80K miles is low!

And if you aren't going to do loads of miles you don't really need to find a low-miler - but if you are going to pile on miles a low-miler is just going to shed value the more you use it!

You mention 70K miles and £10K - there was a link to this one on the first page of this thread but it was before you joined it so I've put it on again:- viewtopic.php?f=41&t=108697

OK it's 75K miles, but well below £10K! (FWIW I've seen the car a few times and it seems like a really good example to me).

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of light coloured interiors The wheels aren't to my taste and I know the 108s are an expensive refurb if they came with the car.

The rust puts me off too.

Beerman

What is a Coupé Worth?

Post by Beerman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 pm

I see there is a low mileage car coming up in the classifieds now. Mr Wilks hits the nail of the head about a private seller asking dealer money.