Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i (Thank you and farewell!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Big Andra

Tomrdy's Nardo-grey-esque wrapped 3.0i (in progress)

Post by Big Andra » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 am

Superb 👍🏻 Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
2003 E85 3.0i titanium silver
Bilstein B4's & Eibach pro's
Poly bushes
Cruise control
Cup holders
Gaptech
Stubby :thumbsup:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

Looking good! Others have talked about painting/wrapping a zed this colour but it never happened so well done for actually seeing it through
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am

I for one can't wait to see this finished! I love threads like this and seeing the passion and skill that some members are willing to put into their cars.

It's looking great, keep going! :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

The 'primer grey' finish is not for me but loving the thread and the skill and dedication involved.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 am

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am Fantastic work and a credit to your skill, knowledge and patience. Is that colour similar to Porsche's 'Crayon'? If so it will look terrific in daylight.
Haven't seen that colour IRL but from pics this is a bit darker!

Thanks guys I WILL see this through!
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am

:thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am

So... close... thumbs... so.... sore... haha.

All panels are done now! And I even redid the front RH quarter which was my first panel (yes its loads better now 8) )

A little bit unfortunate with the boot - though I knew this going in - but the peeled clear coat area still shows up at a certain angle + lighting conditions - tried to get a pic of it but failed... that's how faint it is. I did sand it down till I couldn't feel any lip with my fingers but I think I really needed to fill it over with some primer + sanding. Not going to be super anal about this as you really gotta be looking for it (me) to see it... and I have enough wrap to redo it if it bothers me later... though lets be real here, who can bother (probably future triggered me) :P

Some pics:

Only things left to do now before reassembly (I'll prioritise stuff that will let the car be put back together and drivable first)...

- Rear taillight surround (will knock this out today)
- Install halo light into headlights (will do this today)
- Give the exhaust tips a bit of a clean and polish while bumper is off
- A pillars (and changing the weather strip while I'm at it! Some came off yesterday when I was fiddling with it... looks like it's going to make a mess)
- Side mirrors

___

Side note:

One thing I would like to mention is this Carbins vinyl wrap from what I've read and they claim, is pretty much just 3M wrap - and that's not necessarily a good thing. I read a lot of people have issues with 3M and the glue lines and this wrap I have is no different. Glue lines EVERYWHERE!!! Quite frustrating because it mainly happens when you heat + stretch a certain way. With the last panel I did, I tried to avoid that as much as possible but some areas just really need a bit of heat stretching to get it done and half the time will leave a sexy (not) glue line. Might be installer error but it just shows that it's not that noob-friendly.

I'm ok with this as it was my first go and I figured whatever but if I was to do the car again, I'd definitely look into one of the other brands like Vivvid or Avery.
___
Australia

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am

Annnd we're DONE!

Pulling it back on the drive, absolutely in love with it! Desperately needs a B12 kit now to drop it down a notch now though!

Also made a cheeky intake scoop for kicks (see below).

Some pics of the nardoooo:

The scoop kind of was just a random evening while I was working on the wrap. Spent about 20-30 mins messing around with some cardboard and wasn't going to actually make it but yesterday, I decided might as well since the bumper was off and access was easy.

I tried to keep everything as flush as possible (which involved a lot of trimming of the aluminium sheet) but left a gap at the bottom incase there was a tonne of water. Main reason I did it is because I plan on switching to a Pod and building a heat shield/box - figured going that route would mean the intake would lose some of the vacuum effect that the OEM box has with the snorkel so a bit of air redirection should hopefully keep fresh air flowing in.

Covered it in plastidip because that was 1) All i had around the garage, 2) rubber/plastic so it's more OEM? :P

I literally couldn't say if the scoop makes any difference in power (I personally think not - also not the reason I made it) because I've been driving around in a 120HP automatic Astra for 3 weeks so a push bike probably feels torque too :P

So happy that it's finished now though and I have my life back (lol). Definitely not perfect but looks pretty good in pics so I'm chuffed :rofl:

Thanks for all the encouragement in this thread! I'm glad I did it :D
___
Australia

JamieZ4C

Tomrdy's Nardo-grey-esque wrapped 3.0i (FINISHED!!! Pg 3)

Post by JamieZ4C » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am

Waaayyyy! Well done mate, cracking job!

Good work with the scoop too. Really looks the part once sprayed.

Yeah, B12 will improve the look. What are your ideas for the wheels?

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

JamieZ4C wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am Waaayyyy! Well done mate, cracking job!

Good work with the scoop too. Really looks the part once sprayed.

Yeah, B12 will improve the look. What are your ideas for the wheels?
Thanks! Not sure yet I think I will lower the car first and see how it looks. My epiloids have sort of grown on me. Originally wanted to go dark wheels with the nardo but the silver feels pretty clean
___
Australia

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 am

Great work - car looks stunning, well done :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

greg81

Post by greg81 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am

Love it!

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Great job! :thumbsup:

I wish that I had the skills/patience/balls/imagination to do something like that.

I have toyed with idea of wrapping the roof and mirrors of my black Cooper S in red, but I strongly suspect that if it ever gets done, it won't be by me!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 pm

tomrdy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am
How did you get your halos inside the headlights? I have wanted to do this for a while but not sure how to do.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 pm
tomrdy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am
How did you get your halos inside the headlights? I have wanted to do this for a while but not sure how to do.
Heyo,

I actually just opened up the back of the headlight and disassembled the insides. Got the instructions here (as well as my reply of me realising I can get the light in there from the back!)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=82010&p=1562746&hi ... t#p1562746

I got 80mm "cotton" lights which are opaque white. There's little ridges along the edge of the lens and it fits perfectly into the hole - so well that I just put some thin mobile-repair double-sided tape on there and it's snug and secure as *insert analogy*.

Totally non-destructive which is why it surprised me that no one else seems to have done it this way (or posted about it).

You will need to sand down the lens a little though as to not foul the chrome shroud - I got it down to about 5mm and it easily clears it. Probably can sand less but definitely needs a slight shave.

Better pic of the setup (tape in the pic is NOT what I used. I just used that to stick down some wiring inside)

RickRob wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm Great job! :thumbsup:

I wish that I had the skills/patience/balls/imagination to do something like that.

I have toyed with idea of wrapping the roof and mirrors of my black Cooper S in red, but I strongly suspect that if it ever gets done, it won't be by me!
It did take a lot of umming and ahhing to decide to go for it! And don't get the wrong impression I lost my s**t a couple of times along the way! But nothing is more satisfying than learning a new craft, giving it a go and having a final result that you can admire everyday :P
___
Australia