Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i (Thank you and farewell!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tee.gilding

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i (Update: Clutch stop change)

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Loving the amber LED fogs - care to share which bulbs you went for??
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm Loving the amber LED fogs - care to share which bulbs you went for??
Sure! Though I haven't had a chance to give them a good test at night (as fog lamps) so can't attest to performance yet.

The listing I bought from on ebay is dead but here's a pic of the ones I got:

They're generics so no brand associated with them but if you do a search you'll find tonnes that are the same. Total plug and play for my fogs but I don't think they will work on a FL set?
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 pm

tomrdy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm
tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm Loving the amber LED fogs - care to share which bulbs you went for??
They're generics so no brand associated with them but if you do a search you'll find tonnes that are the same. Total plug and play for my fogs but I don't think they will work on a FL set?
Thanks, I'll see if I can find something that'll fit mine. Should be something with the right fitment somewhere!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am

These rocked up! Hopefully i'll have some time tomorrow to get them on!

Genuine part from local BMW dealer. I do think I prefer the newer version of the MPerf pedals look-wise but got these at a bit of a steal due to stock clearance so ... :roll:

For other's future info: The brake and clutch have soft rubber inserts for grip (the black base) while the accelerator doesn't - the black bits on it seem to be plastic so not sure on the grip level of those. I suppose with floor-mounted throttles you're not really going to slip off the pedal. Either way, I don't think the grip level will be any worse than bare since it's plastic originally anyway.

Will update on how I go :thumbsup:
___
Australia

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:57 am

Fitted the M Perf pedals today! As anticipated, the brake pedal was the toughest one.

Everyone: You'll likely break some drill bits.
Me: No, just don't be a goose.
Also me:

:rofl:

Overall though was fairly straight forward.

The only thing I messed up with is forgetting to change drill bits out when I got to the accelerator - it uses self-tappers instead of nut + screw so I ended up probably 0.2mm too big of a hole :!: . The screw hole then is slightly threaded. In saying that, those screws are pretty superficial - the 3M tape all along the back of the pedal is so strong that when I tried to take it off to reposition, I was certain something was about to break :o

I think they look ace so I'm well chuffed :D I actually think the brake + clutch have better grip with the raised rubber vs standard. The throttle is about the same HOWEVER, just that extra thickness added has made heel-toe that little bit easier to reach :thumbsup:
___
Australia

davros

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by davros » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 am

Your new pedals look superb :thumbsup:
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 pm

davros wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:32 am Your new pedals look superb :thumbsup:
Thanks Davros :) I might need to get some ambient footwell lighting down there now since they look so slick 8)
___
Australia

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 am

Update:

Bits to refresh the frontend to try and get the car as best I can before the Z's first track day this Saturday! I discovered a lot of play in the ball joints on the arms pretty late so dropping this to the mechanic to sort out tomorrow as I've not got time off.

Febi-bilstein track rods and control arms paired with Whiteline lollipops to replace the standard.

Car has been exhibiting some looseness for a while now (especially at 0) and in the last 2 weeks, some light shaking/wobbles at higher speeds. This may also explain why there is the "whoop whoop" sound coming from my feathered tyres :D
___
Australia

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:06 am

Had my first track day with the Z and what a blast! The car ran beautifully and was only let down by me. I was afraid there would be a tonne of understeer but the car held nice and predictably through Luddenham Raceway in Sydney.

My first time on this track as well as first time tracking the Z, I only got 3 sessions in as an over-enthusiastic power-over in the 3rd session sent the Z off :oops: and messed up the mounting of the front right tyre. This lead to a slow-then-fast leak of air which I ended up shoving ductape over and limping to a tyre shop on the way home. No damage but a TONNE of dirt actually ended up INSIDE the wheel/tyre :D

Glad I never went silly and experimented on the public road. Saved the learning for the track where I was just left with a laugh with my mates and some minor cosmetic damage instead of anything serious.

For those wondering, 15mm spacers with the 107 wheels does indeed rub... especially pronounced when going hard at it on track.

Removed everything from the front and will also take the opportunity to try and fix up the undertray a bit...

Time to start looking for some better wheel options to get rid of the spacers as I think the track-bug is biting... :D
___
Australia

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am

Finally got some pics from the track photographer. Somehow still buzzing from the track day. Certainly want to get back again at least once more this year.

Looking at the pics, there's quite a bit of roll/pitch. Also, my front left shock is getting tired and starting to weep oil so starting to think about a refresh. Front swaybar droplink could also do with a renew.

Leaning towards the B12 Prokit (with new mounts front and rear) though the cost of it at the moment will workout to be maybe +$200 over a BC Racing BR kit down here in Aus, which would be an adjustable kit. If I'm honest though, I'm not sure I'd be a good enough driver to be able to benefit from being able to adjust the dampening.

Hmm.
___
Australia

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by MrPT » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 am

That looks like a lot of fun and not a bad shakedown for you/your car either. :lol:

What did you fix the arch liners with, is that plastic welded? I’d like to try that at some point.

Must admit, I’m not the greatest driver either and I have really enjoyed being able to adjust the dampers to suit my liking and/or the road trip. The thing I’d be more concerned about is whether the “softest” setting still offers a decent level of comfort (which might actually come down to the included spring rates).
tomrdy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am
Fantastic pic. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 am

MrPT wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 am What did you fix the arch liners with, is that plastic welded? I’d like to try that at some point.
I've just used a plastic patch cut from an old folder sleeve and joined using some contact adhesive that's flexible when dried. Then I've just fillted it in with said adhesive. I'm not sure how "good" this fix is but I've patched it so that it's kept the angle of the rub so hopefully it won't blow through again :roll: It's near superficial so as long as it keeps water/dirt out, she'll be right!

I'm going to go at it with a heat gun when I have the wheels off next and try to push the liner as far from the wheel as possible.
MrPT wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 am The thing I’d be more concerned about is whether the “softest” setting still offers a decent level of comfort (which might actually come down to the included spring rates).
That's what I'm thinking too as the spring rate is probably a bigger factor for comfort than dampening? My friend has adjustable coilovers on his MX5 and at the softest setting, it just becomes a bouncey mess - but at a "good" amount of dampening for the spring, it's on rails at the track... but tiring for long journeys.

All that said, having adjustables to tinker with just for the fun of it does have its value... gotta try it before you can hate it right?
___
Australia

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 pm

It’s a a shame your day ended early but at least there was no serious damage to your Zed. I’ve not been to Luddenham Raceway but I have been to both Eastern Creek and Wakefield Park a few times. It looks like a good track on google maps. I’ll have to look into going there.
6F4F73F3-460D-4022-BC20-60B86E86D1F9.jpeg
6F4F73F3-460D-4022-BC20-60B86E86D1F9.jpeg (383.7 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

tomrdy

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by tomrdy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 pm It’s a a shame your day ended early but at least there was no serious damage to your Zed. I’ve not been to Luddenham Raceway but I have been to both Eastern Creek and Wakefield Park a few times.
Hey another Sydney-sider!

I've been to Wakefield a few times (not in the Z). Looking at maybe MDTC Marulan later which looks to be a fun short technical track!

Last I went Wakefield was a few years back so not sure how it is now. I can say Luddenham was pretty well run this time around. GPS timing provided, separate gated (and locked) area for track day attendees away from other patrons at the park for karts/paintball etc. No CAMS or day licence needed.

Only downside is there's no air on sight so bring a pump if you're planning to adjust pressures up/down!

For the day you'd get 4-5 sessions in of 15 min (my mate did 5).
___
Australia

Kev

Tomrdy's Nardo grey 3.0i

Post by Kev » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Nice to see you out on the track with it :thumbsup:

Now get some weight off it :rofl:
Z4 Project - RSV4 Track Bike - Yamaha TRX850 Cafe Racer - Ducati project