Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anybody with a 2.0i in shouting range of me?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 am

I'm getting tickover on startup for 10 seconds, and while it seems to have low torque around 2k, it seems lifeless in the higher orders like 4k, it's happy to go there but not worth it. It's been neglected before me so oil was filthy etc. I have taken it to 100 mph and it seem happy enough. Engine is smooth with no noises, assuming I haven't bought a desiel... 8) It don't get used much so anything is possible. So I think I need a comparable car and owner to get an idea, so.. Anybody within 50miles of Burton on Trent?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am

Are you expecting too much ?
A 2.0 na Z4 with 150bhp is never going to feel "whoooaaaa" fast , every bit of performance would need wringing from every gear to gain purposeful momentum
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am

Probably Mr wilks that has crossed my mind :D , hence me looking for a comparable . If that's all I got, then that's all I got. But if I know it's normal I can move forward eh
And I don't like thrashing an engine really, As my ol dad would say, 'feel' an engine if it don't wanna, don't force it..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mackharry

Post by mackharry » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:56 am

Ive got an 07 2.0i weekend car and is does feel a bit underpowered but it was more about the open top driving for me, not the performance. It picks up its feet in the higher range revs but im no boy racer even though you do get the odd person wanting to race. Ive got an 2l x1 for daily and my wife drives a mini cooper sd 2l both noticeably faster, especially the mini, but i love driving the z4 most.
3.0 si sapphire black e85 facelift, individual leather New England black Silverstone grey, ZHP

Gone - Little 4pot e85 facelift ruby black metallic, oregon beige leather, ZHP

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm

If the oil was filthy and sludged up, it probably clogged the VANOS solenoids on the front of the engine. Dead easy to remove and clean up with carb cleaner. Sometimes if they are really bad though, the only thing that works is replacing them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhViQO71KLo

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022260

viewtopic.php?t=84789
Last edited by ph001 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 pm

thanks, ph, im reasonably happy my vanos is ok , power is smooth but unexciting throughout the range, pulling well from 1500 upwards, being very lively at the traffic light grand prix , but just runs out of puff later. but while on the subject of oil, i change mine every 5k or so, so can we assume it will also get better each time i change the oil ?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Need to take them out and give them a clean if oil changes have been neglected in the past.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

tug

Post by tug » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 am

Hi road warrior, i live in loughborough so not that far. If you want to meet up i will be happy to oblige. It would have to be a weekend though as i work all week and not sure when i would be home in the week.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:06 am

Tug your a gent. Thanks for that :thumbsup: a cup of char and a chinwag has been arranged :lol:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:50 pm

subnote, i have done nothing except stick some injector cleaner in and use it as much as possible and it seems to have settled mostly, it gives the briefest of hunting when cold and is erm. a little gutless, but smooth, no missing, no flat spots, but just in case i avoid any races with the likes of morris 1000's, or those sleek austin a40's. :driving:
funnily enough i have a guy living behind me who likes sticking big engines in ford anglia's - he has done 2 so far, he may be breeding them.... :lol:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Had a micro-meet. met up with tug yesterday, top bloke, chief design was to commiserate and compare our baby zeds :driving: we talked about pink floyd and drank coffee and then went and played with our cars, tugs car is immaculate, :( lazy sod that i am i didnt even wash mine.. but it did rain on the way over ( compulsory roof down of course) so it it got a wash of sorts, and so did i a bit... :P he reset something for me and gave me a new car to drive home in. I decided he is my twin brother, if only partially because he is as ugly as me :rofl: A neighbour walked up and asked if it was a hairdresser's convention, I of course asked him if he wanted something for the weekend Sir.

erm.. does mine look bigger ?
Attachments
IMG_20180915_153027[1].jpg
IMG_20180915_153027[1].jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

tug

Post by tug » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Your Zed is immaculate as well bro (ugly, us? naaaah! :lol: ) All i did was re set the throttle for ya mate :thumbsup: Glad it made a difference. See ya soon, SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND. :driving:

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm

and erm.. i de badged it :) as for putting a 2.0 badge on it. do i HAVE :rofl: to admit i only have a little one ?

bigredrob

Post by bigredrob » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

l just aquired a z4 2.0 , l will take the side badges off aswell, so dont feel alone,....lol

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm

:rofl: WELCOME BIG ROB :thumbsup: