Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto Box ..or not?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Chenti

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by Chenti » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 am

How do people feel about the auto boxes on 3L E35's?

What are the downsides to them v the upsides?
Any issues with reliability?
What about the switchgear, any issues seen with them?

Seen some nice used examples that come with auto boxes and before taking the plunge just wondered what peoples thoughts were

TIA

Johnbmwz4

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:54 am

I have an auto and was after a manual first of all. An auto came up for sale locally so thought I’d go take a look but with no real intention to buy. I was so impressed after 2 mins of driving I made an offer on the car and the deal was done. Only problem I have had with it was the auto transmission switch light which came on every now and again. Lived with it like that for 3 years then decided to get it fixed 4 week ago. Cost me £260. There are a lot of autos out there and they are usually a bit cheaper than manuals. Test drive an auto and you won’t be disappointed.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:07 am

Ill get my popcorn :D discussed many times on the forum and the general consensus is the manual lovers will tell you that its a sports car.. you have to have a manual.. anyone that has owned both will say that it doesn't matter which you pick as its great auto box and suits the car well.. auto owners will tell you that they love it and dont regret buying one for a minute.. I'm in the same category as johnbmwz4.. my intention was to buy a manual zed but after testing an auto I was sold straight away.. its a great box with a rapid change and good fun with the paddles or stick change in sport mode when you want a bit of a more involved experience.. best thing you can do is test drive one and if you like the box then find the best condition /spec zed you can for your budget and buy it regardless of which box it has and if you dont keep looking for a manual.. good luck with your search:thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Z4 COUPSTER

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 am

Being lucky enough to own both,I can state the following.
AUTO.
Lovely smooth gear change, massive difference in sport mode, great around town,or cruising on motorway. Not as controlled a drive on twisty roads (but that's old style autos in general)
Overall a good choice.
MANUAL.
More involved for driving on twisty roads,more controlled feeling. Not as noticeable with sports button.
Nicer for downshifts, and slightly better fuel economy.
TBH that's about it.
In general I think the auto is a great addition for overall use.
Hope this helps
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

NickDE

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by NickDE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am

I love my auto and dont regret buying one for a minute
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by buzyg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Don"t do it. Buy a manual or buy Volvo if you really must have an auto. Enough from me. :wink:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

As mr T has said , so many discussions , no definitive answer but from my own perspective :wink: yes autos do take away the gear change connection with redundant left foot left arm but don't believe the negative snipes . certainly in Si form the 262 bhp with auto box is very competent & nothing like a autobox in a MB or Audi , to me its lightning quick through the gears & as ive said many times before , id wager a weeks wage that id beat 99% of ///M owners to 60 in a Si auto with sport button down :evil: they really do pi$$ it off the mark :driving:
Whether id have a auto in roadster form ? never tried one so i can't say but in a coupe it just feels so well suited
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

jarhead

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by jarhead » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:19 pm

NickDE wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am I love my auto and dont regret buying one for a minute
+1
Black and beautiful 3ltr auto for fun
Peugeot 508 SW for daily use
Stripped out E46 330ci for track days

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by GuidoK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 pm

buzyg wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm Don"t do it. Buy a manual or buy Volvo if you really must have an auto. Enough from me. :wink:
....even my volvo has a manual :rofl:

As far as pre-facelifts go I'd definately choose the manual. The auto version is only a 5 speed, which reduces performance considerably (apart from the usual performance decreases like more weight and less efficient running gears/ancillaries)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

LordOxygen

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Autos are for commuting, manuals are for fun. That's my view anyway.

(I have an auto daily and a manual zed)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Auto Box ..or not?

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm

For me it's manual all the way, but then in 40 years I've only had 4 autos - and that was because I wanted cars where manuals didn't exist!

But you are buying it - you really need to try both and buy what YOU prefer (rather than what the rest of us like). :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black