Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

loud crack on braking hard ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:35 pm

i had my back brakes adjusted on the handbrake , now its developed a strange tinkling sound when im moving and yesterday a loud single crack sound when i brake very hard, all brakes seem to be working fine, no pulling or fading, any ideas chaps ? :?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 pm

broken spring perhaps from the compression of the hard braking is the first thing to come to mind.. give them a check then report back :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Have a look at the upper ends of the rear springs - if it doesn't end in an almost complete flat circle it's broken. If it just sits on the broken point of the coil that will cause the clicking / tinking noise. Just lifting the car might well have repositioned the way the spring seats or fractured fully a cracked spring on reloading (lowering the car).

Might not be a broke spring but it's where I would start.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Also worth checking Carrier bolts and slide pins for correct torque
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Had a similar prob thought sommat broke or loose ont front end.checked everything and couldnt find anything.soTook it into Darren Woods .(indy )
Turned out to be the polybushes that were dry .
All were greased up and no issues since.
M

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm

sadly i agree with you chaps, i will get it looked at asap
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 pm

had the entire car checked out on a ramp - all seems to be ok, and strangely standing on the brakes to try and identify it has cured it, smokey pads after a 10 min drive/braking session has seemingly settled something. i will keep an eye for anything and report back if it returns. :)

Havard

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Does it do it after you have reversed and then gone forward. I assume the carrier bolts are tight?

H.
ImageImage

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:25 am

Havard wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 pm Does it do it after you have reversed and then gone forward. I assume the carrier bolts are tight?

H.
No, it did it only if I braked from 30mph onwards, but as I say, a bit of aggressive albeit brave braking seems to have settled something, time will tell eh :wink:

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:32 am

As when going forwards the wheels are constantly rotating the same way it might have just forced the carrier as far as it will go upwards hence no more noise.

I really would check the torque on the bolts and slide pins before I put it to the back of my mind
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 am

Ah gotcha.. :thumbsup:

Havard

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:32 am As when going forwards the wheels are constantly rotating the same way it might have just forced the carrier as far as it will go upwards hence no more noise.

I really would check the torque on the bolts and slide pins before I put it to the back of my mind
This is what I was thinking. If they have come slightly loose, the forces during high speed or hard braking will be a lot more than reversing and coming to a halt. That would force the carrier downwards, if it doesn't do it when you reverse then the carrier could still be loose but not actually moving, until enough force is applied in the opposite direction.

Just a theory and the only thing I could think of.

H.
ImageImage

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am

Front carrier bolts 110nm
Rears 65nm

Don’t do what I did and snap them in half :roll:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am Front carrier bolts 110nm
Rears 65nm

Don’t do what I did and snap them in half :roll:
noted :thumbsup:

oh and i tried what you suggested, i live on a good hill with an even steeper drive, so i reversed downhill - braked hard and swung round and did the same forwards. no noise. personally i think the caliper paint has made it sulk a little and hard braking has spat it out.. the brakes are better now, so lets see, when i get back home next week i will check the carriers. :thumbsup:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 pm

I had new shoes put on the rear which means everything had to come off and be checked all good not the rear.crack persists, so it's the front, maybe new pads will cure it.