Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

laid up

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Davz

laid up

Post by Davz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm

I am having to go into hospital for surgery in the next couple of weeks and will be out of action for a minimum of 4 months and won't be able to drive the zed :(
Question is what needs to be done to the Zed to keep her in fine fettle?
I won't be able to go out to her and start her up, it will be total shut down for 4 months.

I know I need to take the battery out and trickle charge. I was thinking about jacking her up and place onto wooden blocks so the tyres will be ok and of course release the handbrake so it doen't seize on.

I was thinking about buying a softtop cover? Or would a full cover be better, although I have always had concerns about full covers trapping in moisture?
Full tank of gas or just a couple of gallon?
Change oil and filter now or change before it goes back on the road?

What other steps should be taken?

Advice gratefully received!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Davz

Laid up

Post by Davz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 pm

I am having to go into hospital for surgery in the next couple of weeks and will be out of action for a minimum of 4 months and won't be able to drive the zed :(
Question is what needs to be done to the Zed to keep her in fine fettle?
I won't be able to go out to her and start her up, it will be total shut down for 4 months.

I know I need to take the battery out and trickle charge. I was thinking about jacking her up and place onto wooden blocks so the tyres will be ok and of course release the handbrake so it doen't seize on.

I was thinking about buying a softtop cover? Or would a full cover be better, although I have always had concerns about full covers trapping in moisture?
Full tank of gas or just a couple of gallon?
Change oil and filter now or change before it goes back on the road?

What other steps should be taken?

Advice gratefully received!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

laid up

Post by mr wilks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Might sound harsh but other than removing ( or even just disconnect if its relatively new ) battery id simply lock it up & leave it alone :cry:
No need to have the car up on blocks , just take the psi up to 40 .
I'm not a fan of outdoor covers , whatever folks say they chaff the lacquer when they blow in the wind ( & they will blow in the wind)
Worth checking drain holes are clear if roof motor still in original place .
Then when you're back at it get oil & filter changed :thumbsup:

If you really have to cover it then here's a tip ive done to previous Zs ive stored for winter :wink: buy 2 £1 rolls of clingfilm & once the paint is cleaned & waxed "wrap" the car in clingfilm :oops: yes really :D works a treat & once removed months later zero dust , zero marks :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by Jembo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm Might sound harsh but other than removing ( or even just disconnect if its relatively new ) battery id simply lock it up & leave it alone :cry:
No need to have the car up on blocks , just take the psi up to 40 .
I'm not a fan of outdoor covers , whatever folks say they chaff the lacquer when they blow in the wind ( & they will blow in the wind)
Worth checking drain holes are clear if roof motor still in original place .
Then when you're back at it get oil & filter changed :thumbsup:

If you really have to cover it then here's a tip ive done to previous Zs ive stored for winter :wink: buy 2 £1 rolls of clingfilm & once the paint is cleaned & waxed "wrap" the car in clingfilm :oops: yes really :D works a treat & once removed months later zero dust , zero marks :thumbsup:
Nice tip :thumbsup:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Firstly, I hope all goes well with your surgery,,

Are you storing it in a garage or outside? if outside I would get a waterproof cover for it, if its in a garage, id would leave it uncovered,
A smart battery trickle charger to keep the battery topped up
Fill the car with fuel to the brim,this will prevent moisture from accumulating inside the fuel tank and keep the seals from drying out. You should also purchase a fuel stabilizer, to prevent ethanol build up
DO NOT wash the car prior to not using it, you could end up with seized brakes, seals braking down etc, it needs to be dry
Give it a good polish and wax to protect it
Don't leave the handbrake on
I would put it up on jack stands, unless you can get someone to move it every once in a while to stop flat spots
And you can sorn it, save a bit of tax :D
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 pm

I can come around and take it for a spin if you like :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

MalNCH

laid up

Post by MalNCH » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 pm

firebobby wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 pm I can come around and take it for a spin if you like :wink:
:rofl:
2004 E85 3.0i, Titan Silver Metallic.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

laid up

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm If you really have to cover it then here's a tip ive done to previous Zs ive stored for winter :wink: buy 2 £1 rolls of clingfilm & once the paint is cleaned & waxed "wrap" the car in clingfilm :oops: yes really :D works a treat & once removed months later zero dust , zero marks :thumbsup:
As long as it's just the car. :o :lol:

paullyjay

laid up

Post by paullyjay » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm Might sound harsh but other than removing ( or even just disconnect if its relatively new ) battery id simply lock it up & leave it alone
^^This^^

Definitely disconnect the battery!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm

As above do nothing bar lock and walk away, except I’d connect to a ctek rather than disconnect the battery, so it doesn’t go into transport mode and you can alarm it too.
It’s 4 months of Summer and Autumn so no need to do anything more, kept inside or outside.
Good luck with the operations and speedy recovery
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

laid up

Post by mr wilks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm As above do nothing bar lock and walk away, except I’d connect to a ctek rather than disconnect the battery, so it doesn’t go into transport mode and you can alarm it too.
It’s 4 months of Summer and Autumn so no need to do anything more, kept inside or outside.
I'm pretty sure transport mode only kicks in with a gradual decline in battery charge as opposed to fully disconnecting it but could be wrong :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm As above do nothing bar lock and walk away, except I’d connect to a ctek rather than disconnect the battery, so it doesn’t go into transport mode and you can alarm it too.
I'm pretty sure transport mode only kicks in with a gradual decline in battery charge as opposed to fully disconnecting it but could be wrong :?
Was looked big at options for winter hibernation, anyone know for sure as planning to use a solar trickle charger as no mains available
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

laid up

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm

MR Wilks, you might be right, but I thought I’d seen instances of it with no battery for extended time. My key point is with battery on and maintained you can lock and alarm it of the power is routed

Jembo - make sure any charger is smart or designed for continuous use, not trickle, so it adds juice only as required. I’ve previously posted images of my battery blown to bits on a trickle charger, by a ‘helpful’ friend
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

laid up

Post by mr wilks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm MR Wilks, you might be right, but I thought I’d seen instances of it with no battery for extended time. My key point is with battery on and maintained you can lock and alarm it of the power is routed

Jembo - make sure any charger is smart or designed for continuous use, not trickle, so it adds juice only as required. I’ve previously posted images of my battery blown to bits on a trickle charger, by a ‘helpful’ friend
Yes i wouldn't like to attach a charger then leave alone under a cover or stored elsewhere for months on end :cry: whenever i winter a Z i simply switch the trickler on for 24hrs - 48hrs max weekly then its off the rest of the time .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Davz

laid up

Post by Davz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks fellas for the replies :thumbsup: ....more to think about and do than I thought!

I have looked at getting either a full cover or just a soft top cover, but seen many mixed reviews about wearing the paintwork as the car will be outside and the wind will move it about. Fingers crossed I will be back on the road January so a cover may not be neccesary....... Going to ponder the cover question over the next week!

Thinking about getting an mot now so I don't have any hassle come Jan.

I am going to disconnect the battery and get the missus to switch on the charger every other week. Fortunately I have a high tech programmable charger left over from the days when my youngest son was into radio control car racing, so that will keep the yr old varta in tip top condition.

Sent off for another set of axle stands, going to stack her up, which will make it hard to drive off for some would be thief!

Thanks for the idea of filling the fuel tank + stabiliser, not something I thought about, Amazon are currently sending out some stabiliser.

6 layers of winter wax will hopefully keep the paint tip top, I'll be putting a bed down stairs in the front window, as I won't be able to walk, I can also keep an eye on Zed! Any bird droppings and the missus will be sent out with a bucket of water and sponge, I wll have to train her to soak the offending dropping for 10 mins before wiping off :wink:

Once again many thanks fellas, any other ideas please post :thumbsup: